Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Questions about discharge/equalizing trays!? >

Questions about discharge/equalizing trays!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about discharge/equalizing trays!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Questions about discharge/equalizing trays!?

Hi everyone!!

Since I've been starting to use high grade battery packs (Ener-G 4600 ProMatch) I had to get a equalizing tray

I have the LRP Concept 2 battery conditioner, its great , you can chose to discharge each cell from 0.0v to 1v in steps of 0.1

It discharges at 3amp

My question is: its best to equalize the pack just before charging but my packs get hot when they've reached 0.9v per cell so do I have to wait for them to cool down before charging??

I dont have a proper high amp draw discharger, I can only discharge at 5amp with my charger and thats a little soft and I dont want my packs to fell flat...

How do you treat your packs with your trays??

Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I discharge with a 0-30 and put a piece of paper between each cell and set of contacts when the light for each cell goes out. From there, I move the pack to an equalizer tray to .9 v per cell. The pack usually gets pretty warm from the 0-30, so when I put it on to charge at 6.5a, I put a fan near the pack till cool while charging. This is about half the charge. I realize that this is cooling the outside of the cell, and the core temperature is still warm. Personally, I can live with the degradation in performance from that little bit of abuse. My packs that sat dormant are actually in much worse shape, and still capable of putting me in the A at a club event.

As usual, ymmv.