Wiki Posts
Search

Future of RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Future of RC

What is it going to take to get more people (racers) in this hobby. With the batteries, motors, cars and bodies, the speed is great for the experienced racer, but NOT for the beginner or novice. And all the experienced racers are starting to dwindle! We NEED new blood for this hobby to survive! More and more tracks, hobby shops and racers are disappering from racing! The manufacturers need to be thinking slower motors and less cells, like oval did a few years back. Also limiting entries to less classes. Right now there is brushless--13.5/10.5/4.5/3.5--brushed--stock--19 turn--modified--rubber tires--foam tires. These are all fine, but I believe that we as racers are too diversified. I'm not sure of the answer here, but I do know that there are less and less racers (entries) at most all club races. I'm hoping that a few manufacturers and ROAR chimes in with some suggestions here.

Last edited by 1fastdude; 06-15-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Spec tires.........on and off road

No foam tires...........sorry Eli

Brushless motors......going in the right direction

The price of TC's is silly

If you want a place to race....you must support your local hobby shop

thats all I got for now
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
No foam tires...........sorry Eli
I love that idea!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Make it easy to participate and fun. People will join in.....
Old 06-15-2007, 10:54 AM
The Evicerator

Personally I think the industry needs to realize a few things:

1.) An enthusiast will probably spend more money in the hobby over time than someone who buys an RTR, runs it twice, and puts it in their closet.

2.) If over time the enthusiast spends more money in the industry, it stands to reason that the industry should try to find ways to create more or cater to the enthusiasts.

3.) The hobby industry is competing directly with other forms of ENTERTAINMENT, IE: TV, Movies, Video Games, extreme sports, etc

If the industry wants new people, the industry needs to do things as a whole to try to grab people's attention...that is done with advertising and promotion.

Part of that means getting out of the back alleys and backyard feilds and in front of large numbers of people.

Another part of that is putting time and effort into trying to reach other markets that normally aren't exposed to RC.

I think what is needed is NOT a more expensive Radio Shack Car like what we currently are seeing... I think we need to see is less expensive cars for racers/enthusiasts...
Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

I work part time in a hobby shop and I would estimate 90% of our customers are bashers.Their idea of racing is driving against their buddies in an open parking lot.When a customer finds out the nearest track is one hour away, they wrinkle their nose and state it's too far.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Last edited by 1fastdude; 06-15-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: double post!!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
The Evicerator

And there is nothing wrong with the basher! I consider them part of what I labeled as an "enthusiast"...someone who does it more than one time and who might put more energy into it
Old 06-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Very good Steve, and I believe that you are on the right track. No pun intended.. I believe, and you all can flame me for this, but the industry need to slow the cars way down for the newbies (begineers). I see people buying cars to play with at the local level and crashing them so fast. Most of them get tired of having to spend more and more money all the time in repairing them, and they just sell their stuff or you never see them again. My personal opinion would be to:

Have the manufacturers make a slower motor. Novak brushless or the other motor manufacturers having a 35 turn small wire or similar wind. Possibly using the stand-up brushes and hoods.

We can still have the 19 turn classes and modified, but this would help move the faster stock guys up to the other classes and give the not-so-experience and talented racers a chance to win at the old stock level.

Keep the paid and 100 percent sponsored racers in mod only!

Go to 4 cells for touring cars - This option probably is coming along with Lipo's. Slow the cars way down and the experienced racers will move up. What do you all think? Flame - on
Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

my future in this hobby is with eli ezrow. that's all i need to keep going.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm a total noobie, but from what I have learned so far about RC, I agree with some of this.

Part of the thing that keeps people from getting into the hobby is the immense learning curve that comes with running either electric or gas cars...I know I have been studying magazines and forums for the past few weeks and am still pretty lost. Not everyone is an electrical engineer, and just the huge amount of options with radios/esc/motors/batteries/chargers is kind of daunting. I find it a fun challenge and learning experience at age 27, but at age 16 I would have lost interest, probably.

I think more universal stock classes that are noob friendly would be beneficial to the hobby...I know in my limited experience it is hard to find tracks for certain classes, and getting info on them can be hard.

Just my 0.02

(I am recieving my TA05R kit today, wish me luck!)
Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by seaball
my future in this hobby is with eli ezrow. that's all i need to keep going.
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What about a cheaper stock class? Outlaw graphite chassis for the class. Race stuff like Cyclone S, TA05, Losi XXX. Have a rule that cars have to stick with stock parts. No hop ups. Use that new cheaper novak brushless 13.5. Rubber tires. I'd think it could be a lot of fun. Should put more focus on driving rather than equipment.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

The problem I see is when new-comers get thrown in the same heats as the more experienced guys. They end up getting lapped all day long and lose their desire to race. As registration dwindles at club races, there aren't enough people to have a "novice class". A spec class would help a little but in the end, a good driver with a slow car is going to beat an inexperienced driver with a fast car. Thus, the cycle continues.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

The only way to fix these problems

vote Eli for ROAR prez

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.