Search

Ban disc wheels in TC racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alcyon
i disagree, dish rims make any car look PRO
Isn't that the point? Who doesn't want there car to look like a pro car?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

A company should release Pre mount Sorex's with sorex b med inserts on a cool looking rim (not dish, lol)

I have a feeling they might do well from it providing they choose a rim that is strong also (maybe the ride rims??)
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Banning aesthetics now?

Aren't there more important battles to fight to keep racing alive? How about a push towards more realistic bodies (read: non aero, spectator recognizable race cars) first? How about slowing cars down enough so that more people can drive them without breaking everything with the first thing they hit?

JACO recently announced that they will soon be releasing their new line of Rubberz pre-mounts on the Prism-style wheel. That should calm down the anti dish crowd a bit... or is that not good enough, either?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Banning aesthetics now?

Aren't there more important battles to fight to keep racing alive? How about a push towards more realistic bodies (read: non aero, spectator recognizable race cars) first? How about slowing cars down enough so that more people can drive them without breaking everything with the first thing they hit?
What makes a battle "important" is a matter of opinion. You may not think that dish wheels are high on the 'to do' list, but apparently if this keeps popping up, a lot of other people do.

You say that slowing cars down is more important, I say its pretty low on the 'to do' list. People at least have a CHOICE of how fast they go. I'm not going to feel sorry for some idiot who keeps shreading arms on his $450 car because he wants to run 4300 on a track the size of a hub cap. Thats his fault. His CHOICE.

On the other hand, with the push toward all pre-mounts in rubber class, those of us who don't like dish wheels have NO choice what so ever. Its either run dish wheels or not get to run rubber.

JACO recently announced that they will soon be releasing their new line of Rubberz pre-mounts on the Prism-style wheel. That should calm down the anti dish crowd a bit... or is that not good enough, either?
Yes, that should be enough. All people want is a frickin' opportunity to choose. I don't think dish wheels need to be banned, but racers do need to have a choice.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by annie_himself
Isn't that the point? Who doesn't want there car to look like a pro car?
I agree with that. I race only dish wheels. Why ban them, if you don't like them don't buy! I like them and I continue buying them. I don't like the bling-bling wheels which makes your car look like a toycar
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Regional Moderator

I do find it kind of amusing that guys will call for more realistic bodies, while defending dish wheels. Sanctioning bodies have rules meant to keep bodies from straying too far from real cars, but don't mind having cars running around with dinner plates for wheels!

Seems to me that the two go hand and hand. More realistic bodies...more realistic wheels to go along with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Meh.

When stock motors are faster than most people can drive, there is little choice for speeds.

When few bodies work well enough to give easy handling at the speeds we're going now, there are few choices there, too.

If you want different wheels, use different wheels. You can buy CS27s unmounted, and mount them up yourself. I haven't seen pre-mounts forced at the club level very often, so those choosing them are doing so because they don't want to mount their own tires (me).

There are still a lot more pressing issues facing road racers than the dish of a plastic wheel.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Darkseid
I do find it kind of amusing that guys will call for more realistic bodies, while defending dish wheels. Sanctioning bodies have rules meant to keep bodies from straying too far from real cars, but don't mind having cars running around with dinner plates for wheels!

Seems to me that the two go hand and hand. More realistic bodies...more realistic wheels to go along with it.
I am a racer so my body (Ride Accord) and my wheels (always dish) are important for me for the handling of my car!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Darkseid

Again, .

I'm not defending either. I don't mind dish wheels. I'd like to see bodies of cars we actually might see on a real race track. I'd prefer a grey 5 or 6-spoke wheel, but it isn't going to make racing any better or worse for anyone if that is an option.

Banning dish wheels is a stupid thing to champion. It's like asking for a certain color to be banned from racing paint jobs.

I'll take these dish wheels any day...

Last edited by squarehead; 11-29-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

who cares about wheels????

looks should be secondary to performance

if there's not a performance gain to the non dish wheels, then why would anyone want to run them
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Regional Moderator

Meh.

When stock motors are faster than most people can drive, there is little choice for speeds.
Little choice....hmmmm.......If guys can't handle mod, there's 13.5. Can't handle 13.5, there's 17.5. Can't handle 17.5, theres always silver can. If a guy can't handle that...well, theres always Tyco or Radioshack.

If you want different wheels, use different wheels. You can buy CS27s unmounted, and mount them up yourself. I haven't seen pre-mounts forced at the club level very often, so those choosing them are doing so because they don't want to mount their own tires (me).
Actually, there are clubs that ask that guys run the pre-mounted tires. I know, because my local club is one of them. So it does happen.

There are still a lot more pressing issues facing road racers than the dish of a plastic wheel.
Again, your opinion, not fact. Whats 'pressing' to you, may be 'meh' to me.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Again, .

I'm not defending either. I don't mind dish wheels. I'd like to see bodies of cars we actually might see on a real race track. I'd prefer a grey 5 or 6-spoke wheel, but it isn't going to make racing any better or worse for anyone if that is an option.

Banning dish wheels is a stupid thing to champion. It's like asking for a certain color to be banned from racing paint jobs.

I'll take these dish wheels any day...
That is why Tamiya invented their own series: Tamiya makes very nice realistic looking bodies. For competitive racing aerodynamics are importatn for handling and cornering of the car. A Rayspeed Accord handles different than a Ride Acoord body since the Rayspeed version has more downforce on the front for example.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Regional Moderator

I know its hard to remember guys, but think hard, cars still went fast and still handled well before dish wheels and ridiculous bodies like the Ride "Accord".(I still haven't seen a real world Accord that flat, with a trunk that big )

And to the people saying "what does it matter". What matters is that for some people, they like their cars to look good. It doesn't mean that its more important than performance.

Its no different than why people spend hours painting, or big $$$ to get, a nice looking body. Does it make the car go faster, no, but its still a hobby and people like to....I don't know...enjoy themselves. For some people, an all white body is all they need because good paint wont make the car go faster, but for others, it matters.

Its no different with the non-dish wheels. Just because dish wheels are all you need in the hobby, doesn't mean that its not important. There are SO many issues that people argue about in this hobby that I could care less about. But one things for sure, I'm not going to look at the issue, and because its not big to me, just say 'meh'.

I'm not "Championing" the ban dish wheels cause. Banning dish wheels would be just as bad as not having the chance to use non-dish wheels.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

When I started in r/c racing we were running a 1/12 prototype group c style body. I race this style body also in PRO10 and 1/10 nitro. In offroad I have always seen real sleek racing bodies (Schumacher, Yokomo). Since they did not represent the "real"cars Tamiya decided to start to manufactere at late 80's to produce real looking cars for parkinglotracing. Only Tamiya, Kyosho and a few others make reallooking bodies, others are made for racing. If you want to race real looking bodies go racing in the Tamiya series.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by artie's liver
who cares about wheels????

looks should be secondary to performance

if there's not a performance gain to the non dish wheels, then why would anyone want to run them
........with that reasoning sedans should be tossed an only lolas should be ran........anyone who says they can tell a difference between running dish and spoked wheels is pulling your leg........even 1./8 wheels are spoked..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.