Team Magic E4 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic E4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

As most of you know we had a great result at the Reedy Race. We have to say that we are overjoyed with Dave's driving and how far we have been able to develop the car in the last year. Also as you may know we get zero assistance in our race program from TM so it has been difficult to share all the info with all the racers. We will be posting on RC Tech and other forums to get everyone up to speed (pun intended).

E4 speed secrets part 1:

There has been a lot of discussion about freeing up the drive train. Most people point a finger at the belts. We have tested every belt we can find and are working with a manufacturer to make some special belts. Until then we can say that the stock belts work very well if they are adjusted properly. We can also say that the belts are not the problem. The problem is with the bearings more specifically the grease used by the factory and the quantity. We have developed a treatment for the bearings that really makes a difference:

We recommend that you soak the bearings in denatured alcohol for 4 to 6 hours. Denatured alcohol is highly flammable!!! Use with appropriate caution.
Do not substitute any other type of alcohol, as other types of alcohol are not an effective solvent for the grease that Team Magic uses in the bearings. Additionally, most types of alcohol will absorb moisture from the air, and will cause the bearings to rust. After soaking gently blow out the bearings with low pressure clean dry air to remove the alcohol and dissolved grease. Repeating this process is a normal part of maintaining the car between races. No oil is required the first time the bearings are cleaned, but it will be necessary to re-oil the bearings on subsequent cleanings. This single step is creates an amazing performance increase. Once the car is back together it is critical to adjust the belts properly. The easiest way is to set the trim on your transmitter so that the car is running at about 20% throttle. Tighten the tensioner until you hear the motor slow down. At that point you know that the belts are too tight and back off until you hear everything running free. We did this test with a tachometer reading the spur gear rpm and saw how dramatic the speed of the car drops when the belts are too tight. Just so that it is clear. The problem is not with belt drag. It is friction on the bearings. If you still have a problem with the side belt slipping it can be cured with our P/N WH10117. This fixes a design flaw in the kit and not only fixes belt slipping but makes the car solid under hard braking. One final word on WD-40. Don't use it on the belts or bearings. It seems like thin oil but it has two components. One is a light and very volatile oil solvent and once that evaporates it leave a gooey film on the bearings that creates a lot of drag. Using it on the belts might give you the feeling that you are making them more compliant but you are also making the teeth on the belt soft which leads to slipping which makes you tighten the tensioner which makes the car slower than leaving the belt dry.

If any of this is not clear or if you have any other questions please let us know
Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wolf Hobbies

If any of this is not clear or if you have any other questions please let us know
Sounds good to me. I'd thought of getting ceramic bearings for my D.E. ride but at what expense? Okay okay , 3 cars to repack wheel bearings and drive line.
Denatured Alcohol. Got it!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well next weekend I will actually get my hands on an E4RS to look at. A buddy that is coming to my local track actually has a brand new one that he has never run so I will be able to go over the car and really see what its all about. If I like it we are going to work out a deal on it and I would be running it the following weekend.

Wolf Hobbies nice to see you taking charge with the car and developing it further. The design is very unique and potential seems to be very high. If I get the car I look forward to placing an order or two with you real soon. Just need to go over the car and see what spares I think I will need. I figure the normal stuff like, a arms, caster blocks, rear hubs and maybe some belts just to have spares.

I been slowly reading this thread. Wolf I have to say you have had some very nice parts made for the car and in at least the pics they look impressive and of high quality. Might have to order some of those.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default looking for a E4

Hello guys,

I am thinking of buying a E4 I have to say that I have not read all the posts but I would like to know the bads and the good points of the car and how to make it better.

Does the KFactory parts really help?

I want to use on the car:

LRP 5300 lipo batteries, do they fit the car with any extra mods or do I have to modify something?;
LRP SXX Esc
LRP X12 4.0

Below there is a picture of the track in Brazil where I run, the longest part got 60m so you can have an idea of it.

Some guys tried to go for E4 on its beginning but most of them have leaved it the car seemed not to be so good at all, how is the performance of this car now compared with the HB's, Xrays and the others TCs?

Last edited by Fabricio; 06-26-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Meeting wolf and dave from snowbirds, you can tell they are great people and have their minds always cranking away on new ideas. Thanks again for all the help. K factory parts work, but wolf makes and sells his own hubs knuckles and bumpers and even axles. There is a tab under the e4 scrollbar on the left of the webpage.

Hey wolf what classes are you guys signing up for this year at iic? any other e4 users going to head to vegas??
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Below there is a picture of the track in Brazil where I run, the longest part got 60m so you can have an idea of it.

Huge track but ummm..... Not very imaginative. 180/Straight, repeat... yawn.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thats actually not too bad if you include those far back corners. (Assuming they are part of the track)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Track don't look too hard. It does look like a nice place to race.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Selling my orginal E4 for $200 Run twice.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Selling my orginal E4 for $200 Run twice.
How come your selling it? Does it not work well. It is the rubber tire version and does it have a spool? Have any pics?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by John St.Amant

Huge track but ummm..... Not very imaginative. 180/Straight, repeat... yawn.
Yes I agree with you it is big, but with lots 180, but the guys that run the club at the moment are doing a lot of changes and benefits to the area (new bathroom area, pit area with proper electric installation and many other benefits)

The track is going to be changed in the future but till there....
Old 06-27-2009, 07:41 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Fabricio
Yes I agree with you it is big, but with lots 180, but the guys that run the club at the moment are doing a lot of changes and benefits to the area (new bathroom area, pit area with proper electric installation and many other benefits)

The track is going to be changed in the future but till there....
Its awesome that they are making improvements. Always nice to have a great track to run at.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's works really well I bought just to try it out but I'm sticking with my schumacher. I'll have some pics just PM me your E-mail.

Originally Posted by wyd
How come your selling it? Does it not work well. It is the rubber tire version and does it have a spool? Have any pics?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
It's works really well I bought just to try it out but I'm sticking with my schumacher. I'll have some pics just PM me your E-mail.
Guys ! All you need to do is soak the bearings in Denatured Alcohol for 6 hrs
and you are good to go. And unless he has the Foam Spec car it has the versa diff up front. Spool/One Way
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Hey John did you get to run your E4 back to back against your Photon? If so how do they compare in handling for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.