Search

Team Magic E4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tenpins77
Hey all,

Just got a deal with wolf, cant wait to get the e4. Everyone running the stock springs/ pistions on carpet / asphalt? or are they any specific "hot" springs that i should look into?

thanks,

tenpins77

I run the corally black springs 19.5lb front and 12.5lb rear
17.5 rubber tires on carpet
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Tenpins77,

Stock springs are a bit soft.
I highly recommend you to get this item from K factory:
K4902 LX Touring Shock Spring Set 13x23.5mm (#21~#30)

You will find the right ones for your application for sure.
Hara Springs work amazingly too.

I run modified Life/5cells with 3.5t/4.0t on asphalt/rubber tires. #26 Rear springs and #28 Front work very well on shocks filled up with 45wt or 50w oil (stock pistons 3 holes).

Cheers
Slide
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey all,

Just got a deal with wolf, cant wait to get the e4. Everyone running the stock springs/ pistions on carpet / asphalt? or are they any specific "hot" springs that i should look into?

thanks,

tenpins77
I ran the Tamiya short springs when ran my E4. These fit great.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=464&id=1766
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=464&id=1765
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=464&id=1764
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=464&id=1763
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I found that the shorter springs the better suit for E4RS. I tried some a bit longer ones like Tamiya and HPI, the soft worked ok but the stiff didn't work well when I tried to set 5mm ride height, I even moved up the retainer to max but the min ride height I could get was about 7mm. Well I could use droop setscrew to achieve 5mm, but then I will not have any down travel. That is not a good setup.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by 05forfun
I found that the shorter springs the better suit for E4RS. I tried some a bit longer ones like Tamiya and HPI, the soft worked ok but the stiff didn't work well when I tried to set 5mm ride height, I even moved up the retainer to max but the min ride height I could get was about 7mm. Well I could use droop setscrew to achieve 5mm, but then I will not have any down travel. That is not a good setup.
Yeah you diffinately need the shorter Tamiya springs if you want to get the right ride height. I had some of the standard length and found out they where too long the first time I tires them so then I ordered the springs I posted above and the problem was solved.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, competitor TC springs are a bit longer.
The K-Factory are fine. Not as short as the short Tamiya ones but anyway, I can run with 4.8mm front ride height and 5,2 at the rear with enough travel down on static position.

Slide
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Really? The Tamiya short spring is shorter than TM's ones? I may need to try. I have a set of TM springs, the stiffest one I can use is dark purple and the min front ride height is 5.5 mm, I can't go any lower.

Originally Posted by wyd
Yeah you diffinately need the shorter Tamiya springs if you want to get the right ride height. I had some of the standard length and found out they where too long the first time I tires them so then I ordered the springs I posted above and the problem was solved.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Yes they are few mm shorters. These are the optional springs for the Tamiya M-Chassis (M03 and M05 Pro). Give them a try.

Slide
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockpyle
I had the same thing happen to mine (E4-RS not 09) and had to keep tightening the belts until they didnt skip.

What I did was have someone hold the front wheels and then try to turn the back wheels and see how hard it was to make the belt skip. They should be pretty hard to make skip if they aren't tighten the belts until it is hard to make them skip. (be careful not to try too hard you can damage the car)

another thing is do you have an aluminum rear upper deck mount?
Mine is plastic and can flex enough to make the belt skip.
Also wolf hobbies makes an aluminum rear chassis brace to help with flex.

Hope this helps,
Rocky
Originally Posted by Slideaway
Hi Solara

I happened to me recently too. Every belts were new and after 15/20 runs, the belts start to relax.
You can tight the side and rear belt a bit more but keep them free enough not to get the transmission unsmooth.

I personaly bet it comes from the front one like on my own car.
To check if i was right, I prevented the rear wheels to spin on the board of a table and I turned gently but fermly one front wheel (with spool only). And bingo, the front belt is now loose enough to skip.

You may use this link as a permanent solution !

Enjoy
Slide
Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Erhhhmmmmmmm isn't that part always present on the E4RS and the E4FS

cheers Roy
Thanks for all the help....found out, it is the SIDE BELT. Even my belt tensioner on the side is WAY down already. Ended up using a bigger bearings so the side belt can be push down(tighten) a little more...

The side belt need to be a tad SHORTER...or I have to use the FOAM side pulley instead and get my final drive all screw up...LOL.

Beside the belt skipping....my E4RS is only OK (1st ever running on carpet after the full summer on outdoor). Using Boost 17.5 with the TEKIN PRO...car is SLOW...turn like a BOAT, very slow and retard on turning. So I am going to use 40 oils, Tamiya blue springs, .5mm sway front and rear and STOP the car rolling like a boat...that roll causes me at least 1~1.5 second per lap. I am using Tamiya Blue shocks with AE TC5 lower shock cap with regular lenght springs. I really like this setup on the E4, at least, on outdoor, it is gold.

Also...6.0 final drive, it is NUTS, anything higher (like 5.9 and smaller), car is SUPER SLOW...I really don't like these speedo software technology, totally screw up all the final drive setup from the old time...anyone run RCGT or Stock on E4RS on carpet? Or with TEKIN speedo with 200 software?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

I guess there's no miracle to expect with a 17.5, whatever the speedo you use...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

will xray springs fit at all?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

will xray springs fit at all?
they will but you need to use the bottom shock collars from the TC5 to get the correct ride height.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hmmmzzzzzzzzz what am i doing wrong that i can't get my belts to skip??
At the moment i am running LRP SPX stock spec with GM 13.5 and lipo with a FDR of 5.05 indoor and no skipping is present from any belt.
Don't use the front belt tensioner and moved the front tensioner bearing to the side to get it more losen up and still no skipping.
Other car is with GM 10.5,GM 90 with 8 into 3 mode and 5 cell and a FDR of 4.54.
This car is ran outdoors and for the first time i ripped a front belt but that was due to small debree comming in the front spool poelie.
Runs very fast and also no skipping of belts???
@ Solara, try the TM springs and then purple front and the pinkish at the rear for indoor.
Lots of tracktion and no roll if you use the front swaybar.
I use Tamiya 400 oil in the shocks front and rear with standard pistons in the shocks,epa off steering at 65% and sorex 28 front and sorex 24 at the rear.
If you can use it prepair your tire with tracktion fluid on the rear complete and at the front just the inside part of the tire and i also use tire warmers when permitted.
You then have tracktion from the beginning till the end

cheers Roy
Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Solara
Thanks for all the help....found out, it is the SIDE BELT. Even my belt tensioner on the side is WAY down already. Ended up using a bigger bearings so the side belt can be push down(tighten) a little more...

The side belt need to be a tad SHORTER...or I have to use the FOAM side pulley instead and get my final drive all screw up...LOL.

Beside the belt skipping....my E4RS is only OK (1st ever running on carpet after the full summer on outdoor). Using Boost 17.5 with the TEKIN PRO...car is SLOW...turn like a BOAT, very slow and retard on turning. So I am going to use 40 oils, Tamiya blue springs, .5mm sway front and rear and STOP the car rolling like a boat...that roll causes me at least 1~1.5 second per lap. I am using Tamiya Blue shocks with AE TC5 lower shock cap with regular lenght springs. I really like this setup on the E4, at least, on outdoor, it is gold.

Also...6.0 final drive, it is NUTS, anything higher (like 5.9 and smaller), car is SUPER SLOW...I really don't like these speedo software technology, totally screw up all the final drive setup from the old time...anyone run RCGT or Stock on E4RS on carpet? Or with TEKIN speedo with 200 software?
If you go with the HPI side belt you won't need so much tension and it won't stretch as much as the stock TM ones. I forget the part number but its easy to find in thei thread. I think it is A748 but just search for HPI belt and you should find it. Great working side belt.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

The springs have been an issue for some time. The design of the car was locked in just as LiPos were taking over. Now that ROAR has reduced the minimum weight it wil be an issue again. We understand that people like to use a certain brand of spring (we used associated springs back when we were running Losis and Schumachers) but we do standardize on the TM springs for our published setup sheets. We have also found that the pink and purple springs (in different combinations) are great for just about any condition on asphalt or carpet. Our stanrd setup for new E4XX drivers is pink in the front and purple in the rear. There are several mechanical engineering reasons for having the longest spring possible so the TM springs have some real reasons for using them. If you have trouble getting the ride height down the solution is very simple. The Associated spring cups Part Number 6475 fit the shocks perfectly if you cut off the little ring on the bottom. This allows you to use standard setups.

We have also been asked about our most recent sale (E4FS for $299.95) and how long it will go on. We put a certain number of cases aside for this sale. When they are gone the sale is over. I won't say how many we put aside but I can tell you that we have sold well over half. It was our effort to help people get fresh cars for the carpet season.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.