Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic E4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
I really want to talk to you guys about this SPOOL issue that almost every fourm asked about on EVERY CARS (not just on TM E4 series).
Some said...it is the CVD, some said, it is the shaft, some said it is the steering angle.........

I said...it is the TIRES are not being balanced left and right (even on a brand new set of tires).

Right now...I am still not 100% sure that is the case because I don't have a tire balancer nor I know how to balance a set of tires myself. I am just reading from here and there and seeing all the reasons causing that. But I really want to see someone can proved that "THAT IS" the reason causing the front end vibrate voilenly when it is turning left or right...and thats only happening on using SPOOL. (you won't see that when using diff or 1-way on the same car with same tires and same parts). I know my Mi4 does that, TA05R does that, E4 does that, Xray does that....all of my TC cars does that when using solid spool up front.

Someone must have a SOLID PROOF to say "THAT" is the reason why it is vibrating....for me, that happened on a brand new car, used car, actually, any cars....and I don't believe it has anything to do with the dogbone, CVD, drive shaft, outdrives, suspension arm or steering knuckle's turnig too far (cause on E4, the knuckles is blocked by the C-hub...actually, I think it can turn in/out alittle bit more...)

It is a 100% learning request from me...cause I have seen so many ppl asked this question and never 1 solid final answer...

If you take off both front tires and do the same (throttle and turn left and right)...it won't vibrate.
Sorry Man, it's not the tires. Once the wheels are turned far enough and only with the spool will the car act funny. If you examine the way the spool goes together the locking driver in the center is not a precision part and does not lock to the drive dogs. It does key in place but it will not perfectly align all the parts. This causes the diff and the drive dogs to wobble and the dog bones amplify the vibration. If you look closely with the wheels off they are hopping but is not so easy to see. Under load its worse . That versa diff is very heavy too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a one piece spool some time in the near future.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Mhhh well guys i dont know what it is, but something have to do with tyres/wheel lol ...

I put the car in the air and accelerate full throttle and turn MAXIMUM on the radio (and phisically its at max too), and it does not vibrate NOTHING.

Now, if i go over 50% steering travel with wheel/tyres on ... it vibrates a lot, and even like chatter/move the suspension its ugly. I softly starting to turn to see if anything is touching something but nope, no touching/rubbing ... DAMN,

On the other hand, which is your car weight ?. Mine its 1.670grs with transponder and 6 cell NiMH pack.

im in your hand for thoughs,

thanks,

Pato Concha
Southamerica

Last edited by Tabushi; 08-12-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Mhhh well guys i dont know what it is, but something have to do with tyres/wheel lol ...

I put the car in the air and accelerate full throttle and turn MAXIMUM on the radio (and phisically its at max too), and it does not vibrate NOTHING.

Now, if i go over 50% steering travel with wheel/tyres on ... it vibrates a lot, and even like chatter/move the suspension its ugly. I softly starting to turn to see if anything is touching something but nope, no touching/rubbing ... DAMN,

On the other hand, which is your car weight ?. Mine its 1.670grs with transponder and 6 cell NiMH pack.

thanks,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
I balance my tires very carefully .... The issue is now with the tires. Its the Spool itself.... trust me.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

thanks,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Is this with the tires on the car and the car in the air or the car on the ground going around the track?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Is this with the tires on the car and the car in the air or the car on the ground going around the track?

Just in the air, i will be at the track by Saturday,

thanks,
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

how is the E4JS kit going, anyone here runs one? does this kit have more bang for the bucks? any outright weakness in the E4JS? can't really decide whether to get the E4JS or TB03 or Cyclone S to run in a asphalt prepped track...

Last edited by alana07; 08-12-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by alana07
how is the E4JS kit going, anyone here runs one? does this kit have more bang for the bucks? any outright weakness in the E4JS? can't really decide whether to get the E4JS or TB03 or Cyclone S to run in a asphalt prepped track...
I have 2 and they are quick and handle well. Great bang for the buck. Clean the bearings properly or replace them with high quality bearings, this is huge! Lube the diffs. Get proper springs. Use the wide center belts or get the HPI A748 belt.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Just in the air, i will be at the track by Saturday,

thanks,
If it hops around tight corners on the ground with a spool its due to the outer wheel away from the apex turning slower than the other. Try using less traction compound on the front tires if using any at all. The slower wheel should slip a little until it comes out of the corner. If it doesn't vibrate off the ground with the wheels turned full right or left or with the wheels pointed straight ahead, its cornering traction induced. Its also the reason it will not happen with a diff or one way which both allow the front wheels to spin at different rates.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well it looks like I will get to run my E4 for the first time tommorrow. Even though my order didn't make it on time I have enough to get me running. Lets hope I don't break anything as the only parts I will have is caster blocks. Everything I ordered will be here by Monday or Tuesday.

I plan on getting the bugs out and suspension setup some. I will roughly have 3 or 4 hours to get the car setup before the races start. Tons of new stuff other than just the car like the speedo, radio and motor. Should be an interesting day.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't know what tires you gonna run but a begin is LRP Vtec30R.
Rear toe in at 2.5,camber rear 3 degrees,front toe in at neutral and camber at 1.5.
Rear at the bulkhead side place a spacer of 3mm under the ball link of your turnbuckle and move the ball at the wheel side to the inner position(nearest to the diff)get muchmore shock oil 800(i myself use Tamiya 400 or something simalar) and put that in all arround.
Ride hight front 5mm and rear 5.5mm.
Don't know what motor your running but if 10.5 and you got at straight of about 40metres then use a FDR of about 4.36.
Remove stabi front and rear
These are very good basic settings and get you ton's off grip depending if the tires are up to the temp(not to hot).
Some of us have softer tires at the front to get a little more steering but that also depends what you like.
Have fun out there and good luck.
If you don't hit the wall/boarding or what so ever the car should be fine without breaking anything

cheers Roy
Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Don't know what tires you gonna run but a begin is LRP Vtec30R.
Rear toe in at 2.5,camber rear 3 degrees,front toe in at neutral and camber at 1.5.
Rear at the bulkhead side place a spacer of 3mm under the ball link of your turnbuckle and move the ball at the wheel side to the inner position(nearest to the diff)get muchmore shock oil 800(i myself use Tamiya 400 or something simalar) and put that in all arround.
Ride hight front 5mm and rear 5.5mm.
Don't know what motor your running but if 10.5 and you got at straight of about 40metres then use a FDR of about 4.36.
Remove stabi front and rear
These are very good basic settings and get you ton's off grip depending if the tires are up to the temp(not to hot).
Some of us have softer tires at the front to get a little more steering but that also depends what you like.
Have fun out there and good luck.
If you don't hit the wall/boarding or what so ever the car should be fine without breaking anything

cheers Roy
More than likely I won't need as much rear traction as some because are indoor asphalt track has tons of bite. I have the rear setup at 2.5 degrees of rear toe but I'm pretty sure I can go to the 1.5 setting. Once I get a few runs then I will start moving links around as needed. A little over 4 hours from now I will hit the track.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:00 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Well I'm finally at the track today and getting a cance to run my E4FS. I ran two practice runs today and I'm already as fast as I was with my TC5 after 6 weeks. Car is stable, steers like mad, and is overall very easy to drive. I can't wait to get more time on it and order a few more parts for this thing so I can ring it out some.

Wolf I will have another order coming either tonight or Sunday. I can see running this car for awhile. It is working just like I had hoped it would and is actually better than expected. I have my own setup on it with springs and oil and very happy.

I have red this whole thread and while certain motors and batteries fit better than others it has been worth the time to get this vcar running. I look forward to post alot more after I finish racing tonight.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

The Novak Ballistic brushless motor fits in the E4 perfectly and you have alot of room for gearing. It fit as nice as a brushed motor would. So if your looking for a new brushless that fits the E4 thisd would be the motor to buy.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

reigle, ur up there? guess richard has his wireless workin well. i was gonna come out there and drop some bread off to u...but i remember u said u werent sure u were doin fri or sat. shame tekins dont fit. i guess i'll find a way to catch up with you later. doin hobbyrama by chance or u completely outta offroad (as in didnt buy roeder's old stuff)?

R
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Arrrghhh ... !!

Test day ... and its raining like crazy (no indoor tracks here).

Usually when it rains so much and ends 6-8 hours prior race time its OK as the track get good enough to race, but if stays raining race will be suspended

So far, here are the pics of the car ready to go, thanks to my older doughter and wife for installing the decals lol !! :

Thanks a lot for your help guys and patience to answer my questions.

So far im still preocupied with the vibrations at full steer in front. I tested for 2 minutes the car on the garage and at 50% steering with 1,5° toe out in front the car steers already as crazy, hope would be enough for the track for now.

cya !

Pato Concha
Southamerica

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.