R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Ideas for a spec class?

I'm helping a local shop get their racing program going. They are building an off-road track, but want to get into on-road too. They want to offer a spec class so that there will be an inexpensive way to get into on-road racing. So, I'm looking for ideas for a class.

The class would probably be touring car based, since that class is so popular. But, obviously low cost would be a priority as well.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to ways to keep prices down? Spec motors are one thing I thought about. Spec rubber tires as well. Maybe running 4 or 5 cell packs?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our track in Ottawa, Canada has recently started two spec classes (one Nitro for summer, one Electric for winter)

In the case of the Electric class we are using the Hot Bodies Cyclone S (kit or RTR). From memory it comes out to less than $400CAD RTR w/ 2 1500Mah stick packs and a better charger.
Steering servo must be the RTR or a Futaba 3003.
If a racer wins 2 races in a row(that they attend), their motor goes up for auction to any of the other racers.

So far, so good. We're getting newer racers interested and one of our better racers borrowed a Cyclone S, put his batteries, ESC, Motor and tyres on the car and ran it in our most competitive class (stock rubber) and finished second out of about 25 racers. This was with almost zero tuning. Standard springs, shock oil, kit servo etc.

This is a copy of the rules: (I apologise for the length of this post)
Spec. Electric Touring Car

Series Intent:
The intent of this series is to provide a low cost, all inclusive entry point into on-road racing using 1/10th electric powered touring car. This series is to promote our hobby and offer a stepping stone into RC racing in general.

The specified chassis comes in 3 variations. Which one you choose will depend if you already have some RC equipment. The options are:

• Hot Bodies #66402 (RTR – all inclusive)

• Hot Bodies #66403 (kit + unpainted Stratus body)

• Hot Bodies #66405 (kit)

The kit tires will have to be run. At the beginning of the season, the tires will be marked and these will have to be used on race days for the entire season. If we lose traction, we will all lose traction together. If you want to practice, it is recommended that you purchase a separate set of tires. The specified replacement tire are the Hot Bodies MOUNTED RACING TIRE S COMPOUND (Part#61271) available for approxmately $19/pair at your local hobby shop. Allowances will be made to replace the entire set if rim breakage occurs.

Any un-matched NiCad 1500mAh factory assembled and factory labelled stick pack. Any connector may be used.

The kit motor will have to be run. The allowed replacement motor is the HPI Saturn 27T closed end bell motor (#HPI1144) available at your local hobby shop for approximately $15.99+tax.

After winning 2 consecutive races, the winner motor will put up for auction. The reserve price of $18 will go to the motor's owner to purchase a new replacement motor and all excess proceeds will donated to RC Ottawa. The winning bidder needs to also give the motor out of this car to the seller.

The seller will get $18 and a used motor. The buyer will be getting a hot motor. The club will keep the extra dollars if the bid is above $18.

Consecutive race is defined as being attended by a racer, not by the schedule.

Fixed Gearing - 42 Pinion & 96 Spur (64 Pitch)

The rtr servo or the Futaba S3003 servo has to be utilized.

Speed Control:
The rtr ESC or any other ESC may be used. Using reverse during a race will result in disqualification of the results associated with the race.

Transmitter / Receiver:
Any transmitter or receiver may be utilized.

Anybody may be used. All cuts to be made along the manufacturer cut line. No aftermarket wings.

A hard bumper will be highly recommended. Recommendations for this will follow.

Only kit supplied springs are to be used.

Replacement oil is HPI 25 weight (#HPI80356).

The kit bearings are to be used. If replacement is required, ceramic bearings are NOT allowed. Bearings should last for quite a few seasons at the speeds we are dealing with. Regular bearing verification and maintenance is recommended.

Hop Ups:
No hop ups allowed. Any broken part will have to be replaced with kit replacement parts – no optional parts are allowed.

Ride Height:
Minimum 5mm

Minimum Weight = 2.990 lbs

[b[Race Fees:[/b]
The race fees are as per the current RCO fee structure. Exceptions are made to new persons to the club. If a person is deemed new to the club, he/she will be granted a season (fall or winter) where he/she can race for $10 an event without membership. After the introductory season is over, the current RCO fee structure will apply.

Role of the Series Director (not the race director)
The series director will determine if a person is new to the club on a case by case basis. The decision is final and irreversable.

The series director reserves the right to impound any cars for a reasonable amount of time after the race to measure all set-up aspect and distribute set-up sheets based on the results. The expected time for impound is 30 minutes after then last main of the day.

The series director retains the right to modify any of these rules in an effort to meet the original intent of the series. The series director’s decisions are final.

The series director retains the right to allow hop-ups to reinforce weak areas of the car if required. Considerations will not be made for these changes until there is enough evidence to allow them. Note that breakage on cars not running the hard bumper will be weighed accordingly.

Hope that helps.
I'm not a grown man playing with toys. I'm a hobbyist.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for that info. I'm not sure we can get many Hot Bodies parts in our local shops, but it may be something that we can do with a different model chassis...
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Maybe consider the Tamiya TT01 for the rookie and the TA05 for the more experienced out there?

Both very strong cars, the TT01 can run box stock, bar upgrading the ballraces, and the 05 is very upgradable if you want to cap it with just a few.

The trouble with running any car-spec class is the cost of the car if you already have something different. its never a desirable option to plough more $ into another car when you already have one ready to go...
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That's the advantage of the Cyclone S. It's fully upgradeable to a Cyclone but is capable enough on it's own should the racer want to step up to the next class. The same can be said for the TA05 but it isn't available as an RTR like the Cyclone S.

Our series director took a long time looking into this and the Cyclone S is the best package. He looked at the TA05 (no RTR), the T2R(again, no RTR), TC4RTR (RTR but dated) and more that I can't think of. Up until this series started we had zero HB representation at our track (or even bashers). Now all of our hobby stores are willing to stock parts because they can sell them. If you can get HPI parts (and who can't) then you can get HB parts. Heck, the Cyclone S uses HPI pro 4 suspension components.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in finding what works for your club.
I'm not a grown man playing with toys. I'm a hobbyist.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We have a silver can treaded tire TT01 class where I race - which works great. The only hop ups allowed are bearings and the alum drive shaft. We dont even allow foams in the tires. Plus, they are even required to use the TEU-101 escs that come with the kit. That keeps costs way down.

New racers really like not having to worry about ESC settings, shock oil/springs, motor maintenence, tires/inserts and I could go on and on. And they particularly like having the same exact equipment as their competitors.
They also learn that some people actually just drive better than others which really helps prepare them if/when they decide to move up.

All you need is a TT01 kit + ballbearings, a Radio/servo, and 2 batteries.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing the details of this spec class for Cananda!

Our local HPI distributor is in the midst of organising a 2008 HPI Challenge race series and the spec class should be interesting for them to take reference on.

Appreciate the information.
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to squarehead Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Spec classes are great for racing, IMO. The object is to balance between fun, cheap and having usable gear should any of those racers want to try faster classes. Not only that, it needs to be interesting enough for new and old racers to both want to do it. The biggest problem with spec classes, is that many people feel they are "beginner" or limited classes. Most that I have seen over the years start out hot at one track and falter when the guys that make up the class get bored. Then you have a lot of people stuck with cars, motors, batteries and other stuff they can't use anywhere else.

In the Midwest, and now elsewhere across the country, we're seeing a dramatic change in that pattern with Vintage Trans Am racing.

We have seen a dramatic leap into the Vintage Trans Am classes across the country, based on the rules found here: http://www.usvintagetransam.com.

Also, check the thread here for the feedback we have seen from tracks all over who are starting to run this class.
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default spec classes

At our club we are running 2 spec classes. The first is the Losi Mini Slider. This class is obviously not touring car based but our results have been great. We are getting great turnouts and alot of different winners. The only changes we allow are ball diffs, titanium turnbuckles and shock oil. In my opinion it is some of the best racing we have in out club. We also run recoils. These cars we allow the RTR and the racer kit versions. We keep the gearing, springs, and motors stock. This class is alittle slower to take off but so far the racers are having a good time. Good luck.

Rc10 Gt EDM
M&M Racing Klien Sprint Car
Losi Mini T
sheetmetal2 is offline   Reply With Quote