Wiki Posts
Search

3PK vs Mars R

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Default 3PK vs Mars R

Hi,

Both products has been available for sometime now, I guess it's time for some comparison. Any comments will definitely help buyers like me.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think if you have big hands the 3PK is better. If you have small to medium sized hands, the Mars will fit very nice. The Mars R is a good radio. I have the Older Mars EX-1. I like it, lots of features, 10 model memory, and I don't ever remember it glitching unless someone got on my feq. I also just like Ko Propo stuff. I know alot of people with the 3PK. It's a great radio. Looks like a radar gun (I guess this can be good or bad depending on how you look at it), Lot's of features, I think it has the steering wheel dropdown included as an option, Yuo can also get it in PCM or that high response stuff. Overall, you can;t really go wrong with either radio. If your local hobby shop has more Futaba than Ko Propo, then I would get the 3PK and vis versa.

-Sushi Boy
Old 05-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, both are among the finest radios available, & have all the features & performance you could possibly want. The only real determining factor comes down to which feels more comfortable to you. I'd suggest you try holding one of each & see for yourself which seems "right" to you to make your decision. Oh, & for the record, I also have a regular KO Mars & absolutely love it.....
Old 05-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

I have a 3pk plus an old mars...Both are good but for me the 3pk is the better of the two.

1...Comes with wheel drop down
2...Anntena is easier to replace if broken
3...menu's are more logical to navigate.

Try both and see which you prefer..
Old 05-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

I've tried both and the KO was a little small for my hands but it felt really light. The Futaba is easy to program and very comfortable. Performance and quality wise, they are the equal.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Hello,

Thanks for all your comments. I guess all I have to do is the grip test. There's one thing I love about the 3PK, the LCD.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default radios

Personally i found the 3pk a little too bulky .. i use mars r my self .. both are great though .. as sushis said .. 3pk is suited to bigger hands
Old 05-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

I guess I have to settle for a Mars R then.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:59 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

KO is coming out with a new radio in a month or 2 that is going to have a ton of features and a new micro 3 channel receiver. You may want to wait for that one, if your not in a hurry for a radio.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Mo,

This is the Helios right? Aside from the backlight LCD & some sort
of PC connectivity, is there any other features that is lacking from Mars R? Will KO consider this their new flagship product? Any idea how much it will cost?

Thanks...
Old 05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I find it odd that people actually favor the Futaba software over the KO. I've always found the software of Futaba's lines to be very awkward and cumbersome. I much prefer being able to set up the options I need to use most often, and then be able access those options in just two keystrokes.

I do find the Futaba to be surprisingly more comfrotable than it looks, but I still think it's UGLY. Of course the new Helios is not exactly a real stunner either.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Guys,

I've had both and now I have the Multiplex Profi Car 707 and I would not give it away for anything.

Glitch free, easy to program, intelligent features, light weight (only 6cell battery), low power consumption, eronomically perfect, works with any receiver on the market, switchable from FM to AM,
PC link available, 7 channels if needed.

Oh, and it's made in GERMANY.

Try it and you'll love it.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Cypressmidwest,

Which Futaba radio did u find the software cumbersome, 3PK or 3PJ(s)? Well the new KO definitely doesn't look gorgeous to me. After reading stefan's post, the multiplex looks much worst. Sorry Stefan, just my opinion.

Stefan,

So how do rate 3PK, Mars R, & Multiplex in terms of performance?
Old 05-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Baluga: The 3PJ is by far the worst software ever, the 3PK while improved, is still too illogically laid out for me. Maybe it's because I've used KO equipment for so long, but each time I try a Futaba, I just can't seem to get comfortable with its' programming.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by xray vision
I have a 3pk plus an old mars...Both are good but for me the 3pk is the better of the two.

1...Comes with wheel drop down
2...Anntena is easier to replace if broken
3...menu's are more logical to navigate.

Try both and see which you prefer..
I was trying to choose between the two and I will agree with xray about the 3PK.

1. The lowered wheel feels more natural to me and is an extra cost option with the KO.

2. Did that, wind blew the radio over but I caught before it hit the ground unfortunately the antenna did. Replacement cost $5.00.

3. Both radios have multiple menu levels but the 3PK will let you page through them all, the KO requires you to call up each level separately. Compare the manuals; Futaba is 40+ pages while the KO is 70+ pages. I found that I could program this radio almost intuitively whereas the KO had me going to the manual at almost every step.

Let me add a couple comments:

1. The Futaba is a negative shift radio so it is incompatible with receivers that are positive shift. I have seven receivers so going to KO would mean replacing six of them and at $90 each would cost $540, ouch! I replaced a Hitec Lynx 3D so that's why I have so many neg. shift Rx. (The DCX Rx is great and never glitches.)

2. The Futaba comes with a 700mah NiCad pack and charger the KO doesn't. Thats a $45-55 option for the KO.

3. The wheel drop option for KO cost $60.

4. The Futaba does feel good to hold and use. Some M8 users tried my radio and liked the feel also.

5. Both have the High Response framing rates but only if used with digital servos. I prefered the PCM version of the 3PK.

6. The 3PK will work with Hitec's Spectra 75MHz module (wink, wink..nudge, nudge) for synthesized frequencies.

7. The KO has a small advantage and that is it comes with a dry cell battery holder. The 3PK doesn't have one available in the U.S. market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.