FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF >

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Old 06-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Controversy
Best get the others involved as well. FWD is a blast and competition can be fierce.

I'm always learning and always looking to educate myself further. What handling characteristics can one expect when using a lighter oil and when moving to a heavier oil/putty?
Heavier weight - Increased acceleration out of corner.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:47 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
I am still playing with my FF02 while I decide which way I want to go with car choice and I am deciding for my next meeting with it to move some weight back in the car just to try and settle it down but unlike you I have massive amount of turn in and because I want to keep using the same tyres front and rear the rear gets a bit unstable.
The Gearing for FF02 is very limited...today front drive TC will be faster
Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow Re:

Originally Posted by b20btec
Heavier weight - Increased acceleration out of corner.
But limited to gearing and available traction I take it? Lighter oil; better turn in off power/coasting?

Still feel I need to spend more time behind the wheel and work on better lines.

Thanks for the info, enjoying this thread.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

That is what I am finding with mine. It is more me then the car setup. if I take a different line and be very gentle on the brakes it turns fine, actually I got a lap time within 1/10th of my 4wd on our large Pave track. If I try and drive it my VBC D06 it has a bad push. I need to go a little wider on entry then, clip the apex and hammer on it once the car is turned and on the line I want. It's just different, once I get used to it this thing will be a beast.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
The Gearing for FF02 is very limited...today front drive TC will be faster
Yes I know - even despite a 3Racing gear set in it - fortunately the track I race most has very short straights so the straight line speed disadvantage is almost nullified by how good it is in the corners.

I am just not yet convinced on the 2 main choices at the moment - both the 3Racing and the MTS have issues in areas I feel are important for what I want out of a chassis long term because I am not the sort to buy a chassis and race it for a few months and then move on to the next newest thing.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

What issues do you see in the MTS FF?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Last edited by ShadowAu; 06-20-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Shouldn't have bothered
Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys. Looking for suggestion on pinion gear for the SakuraFF. Motor will probably bee in 3300-3900kv range. I won't be doing any racing.
The SakuraFF 2014 was my first kit. After 5yrs and over 65+ vehicles owned figured it was time.
Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Remember these are purely personal and not about you agreeing or not -

MTS FF
1) Don't like where the front body mounts are.
2) Some reports of suspension arms etc being easily damaged.
3) Short-Big bore shocks - means none of the springs I currently own will fit so more money spent to get a spring range.
4) Not convinced of long term parts support.
5) Over oil-filled gear diffs at the moment.

3Racing FF2104
1) Open gearbox susceptible to rocks etc
2) Requires alternative gear sets to be useful in higher turn classes (21.5,13.5 etc)
3) Geared gearbox appears to move motor further forward.
4) See point 5 above.
Ok on the MTS FF.
1) the body mounts are in the same place as the Tamiya FF cars from the box. You can mount body mounts on the bumper. Remove the screws washers and spacers that hold the foam bumper and put some xray style body mounts on it. It has the hex moulded in to keep them from turning.
2) Yeah the suspension arms are a little more weak then say an Xray but equal to my VBC and Tamiya cars. If it is an issue Xray arms and casterblocks fit perfect.
3) the 4 option sets of springs are less then $5 a set so $20 bucks for all of the springs, if thats a big deal you need another hobby.
4) The car is backed by Team Powers, they 4wd MTS car should be here this month sometime. Even if they stop making it I can fit enough Xray parts on it to make it last.
5) The cars diff comes prefilled, with what I have no idea, I have since been told it is 1 millon CST, but really would you really take a prebuilt car with unknow fluids and just install your electrics, then race? I took mine apart and rebuilt it so I knew what fluids are in it and that all of the screws are tight.

Some common sense here, it a $173 car (from Rc mart). You can't open the box and expect Tamiya and Xray quality, for that price. It is a really great product when you consider it's price point. The fact that is seems to be beating all of the other FWD cars is a bonus.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:18 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
Ok on the MTS FF.
1) the body mounts are in the same place as the Tamiya FF cars from the box. You can mount body mounts on the bumper. Remove the screws washers and spacers that hold the foam bumper and put some xray style body mounts on it. It has the hex moulded in to keep them from turning.
2) Yeah the suspension arms are a little more weak then say an Xray but equal to my VBC and Tamiya cars. If it is an issue Xray arms and casterblocks fit perfect.
3) the 4 option sets of springs are less then $5 a set so $20 bucks for all of the springs, if thats a big deal you need another hobby.
4) The car is backed by Team Powers, they 4wd MTS car should be here this month sometime. Even if they stop making it I can fit enough Xray parts on it to make it last.
5) The cars diff comes prefilled, with what I have no idea, I have since been told it is 1 millon CST, but really would you really take a prebuilt car with unknow fluids and just install your electrics, then race? I took mine apart and rebuilt it so I knew what fluids are in it and that all of the screws are tight.

Some common sense here, it a $173 car (from Rc mart). You can't open the box and expect Tamiya and Xray quality, for that price. It is a really great product when you consider it's price point. The fact that is seems to be beating all of the other FWD cars is a bonus.
Sound good to me ..
Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by ShadowAu; 06-20-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Woke up in a better mood today
Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For those interested, RCmart has the Sakura FF2014 marked down to $139, makes the shipping a little more bearable.

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-kitff2...cPath=420_1417
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone with the FF2014, what pinion did you start/end up with?
Finally getting around to writing this thing together!
Going to run a 13.5 in it. Just need an idea for a starting point with the stock spur
Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Gearing

[QUOTE=macscac;14069340]Anyone with the FF2014, what pinion did you start/end up with?
Finally getting around to writing this thing together!
Going to run a 13.5 in it. Just need an idea for a starting point with the stock spur
Thanks!!

For the Sakura with 13.5 blinky I suggest 40spur and 25 pinion.Car will be awesome!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

grrr.. only 24-26 pinions i have are 64pitch..
ill start w/ a 23 and see how it goes.

got it all wired up.. looking forward to the next time i can get to the track!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.