Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best? >

In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best?

In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Your results are pretty much the opposite of what evryone else is reporting.
Yup...everyone here who has tried the Core 5000 does not want to put any other pack in their car! The first time I tried one, I had to lift the throttle in a sweeper where I didn't have to lift using another pack.

Oddly enough, however, our Core packs seem to run better on the second run of the day...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have only used the CORE 5000 and do not feel the need to try anything else! LRP Pulsar3 charging @4.00 -no overcharging! Great power results!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zake540
Did the cars you tested between both packs weighed the same?
I ran over several days, 2 different layouts and a few different chassis but each comparison test used the same car on back to back runs. For example I would show up and run an Orion 3200 and core 5000 one day noting the performance difference between the 2 and then run one of them against something different the next time to establish a pecking order.

I balanced the car on pins with each pack to get even weight but not necessarily the same total weight from pack to pack. I can tell you that with the Orion 3600 in a t2007 I needed just over 6.25oz compared to a approximately 3oz for the core. My thinking was that the car needed a set amount of ballast on the battery side to balance the chassis and however much battery weight I removed I would need to add an equal amount lead to retain that balance.

Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Yup...everyone here who has tried the Core 5000 does not want to put any other pack in their car! The first time I tried one, I had to lift the throttle in a sweeper where I didn't have to lift using another pack.

Oddly enough, however, our Core packs seem to run better on the second run of the day...
the core pack includes a balancing connector, what exactly is that??
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing

Was that second run of the day after having topped the pack up, or just a straight second run without touching the pack?

Also, which class?

Skiddins
Old 01-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

orion
imo
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Lipo weights

would someone be kind enough to post weights for each lipo?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

well as one of the 'LOCAL' drivers that actually race the carpet where mark did his testing, let me say, i have two core 5000 packs, both of them rock. jaybee who many of you know also has two core 5000 and is of the same opinion. two weekends ago i went to a point series race across the state, i TQ'd four heats in a row, and ran away with the first A main, team corrally driver dave elrich (sp) thought my car had major rip, as did brain bodine of "Slapmaster" fame.

questions for mark, is the core you tested, the same one that brett and randy ran or did you buy your own.

mark you are more then welcome to run either one of my cores in on road, or come to trcr sunday and drive my b-4 powered by the core.

and yes i am a schmacher driver, and however bias i might want to be, my lap times and race performance back up the core.

Last edited by skypilot; 01-29-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
All my testing has been in 10.5 sedan on a carpet track running simple a/b comparisons. Lap times for the middle tier packs I have tried were all the same but did produce different power bands and needed slightly different gearing to get the most out of them.

The 3600 was a full .1s faster than the middle tier packs from the start and fell off less over a 6min run, the power difference was great enough to be seen.

The core packs have all been extremely flat with no bottom or top end and ran nearly .2s off the 3600. With all the hype surrounding these batts I had expected them to be nothing short of exceptional and was certainly disappointed with performance I got.

Locally several other experienced racers that bought the core packs have had similar results and switched to others.

Mark
I run at the same track as Mark does (although more often) and myself and skypilot (Ritchie) were the first to run the CORE5000's. We still have our first packs and they run just as strong as when brand new. So my experience has been the complete opposite. Although I do sympathize with Mark, I'm very happy with my CORE's.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sinisterRC
the core pack includes a balancing connector, what exactly is that??
As far as I know most if not all Lipos have balancing connectors or ports. I know someone will be able to explain it better but balancing a lipo is like rematch a pack or putting it on a discharge tray and allowing each cell to be at the same voltage. Lipos, I believe, use the balance port as they charge (so the opposite of discharging them to equal volts) to equalize the cells. The CORE is external (can get in the way) and the Orion is internal (have to buy extra connectors to balancing). Hope you understand and that I didn't totally explain it incorrectly.

L8R Marker
Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

heres a link to a local for sale site... if you put two and two together you get......

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...10942&page=118
Old 01-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

5000mah 20C Yuntong

and i think it was the most performing pack with hard case in the world for the moment

and yuntong have newer cell with 5400mah 20C and 3600mah 25C

and soon in april Roar certification
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Legend

Seen the Core run , nothing that a Carbon 3200 can`t handle , Carbon 3600 is the fastest Li-Po pack I`v seen @Trcr so far ....
Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MagicMarker
As far as I know most if not all Lipos have balancing connectors or ports. I know someone will be able to explain it better but balancing a lipo is like rematch a pack or putting it on a discharge tray and allowing each cell to be at the same voltage. Lipos, I believe, use the balance port as they charge (so the opposite of discharging them to equal volts) to equalize the cells. The CORE is external (can get in the way) and the Orion is internal (have to buy extra connectors to balancing). Hope you understand and that I didn't totally explain it incorrectly.

L8R Marker
After reading the whole Core 5000 thread and your response I completely understand, thanks. I have an ICE charger so if I would want to balance the batt I would have to purchase an inline device to effectively do so. Im assuming I will be able to use the Team Orion stability balancing system.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'm glad the schue guys are happy with the core battery but the 3 I tried (Randy & Brett's packs) as well as the RCE branded version (Franko's) simply did not perform. For me the Orion 3600 has proved itself best out of all I have run. It is possible that the 4 I tried are not as good as the 2 Skypilot got but even if his AND Jaybee's are exceptional I would be reluctant to buy a $125 pack where only 50% perform well.

Ritchie I appreciate your offer to try one of your core packs but I have switched from the TC5 to an x-ray and the core's hard shell would have to be modified to fit my new car. For now I am going to focus on trying thinner packs that fit the sedan without modification only, All my thick packs (tp4900 & trinity 4500) have been sold.

For those curios about my test sample sizes I have run 4ea of the Orion 3200, core/rce 5K, 2 Orion 3600 and 1ea of the tp4900 & trinity 4500.

Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.