Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best? >

In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best?

In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default In your opinion, What lipo do you think is the best?

I want to get into lipo now that ROAR has allowed it. I am aware of all the lipo's being sent to ROAR for approval testing.

But It seems like Orion is the best followed by MaxAmps, CORE, and maybe the new checkpoint 5400 lipo?

But I am leaning towards the Orion's since there is no wires hanging out of the case alot with the balancing port. So prolly the 4800 or 3600...?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This question is going to come up a lot. It really depends on how you define "best." For cycle life and safety, there's no question the Kokam cells Orion uses are the best in R/C at the moment. Unfortunately, the packs have lower voltage than others. How much that matters is a question only you can answer. If it's a big deal, you may have to sacrifice some of those things and go with one of the other packs you mentioned. They will have greater voltage, but likely at the expense of some safety and cycle life.

The best cells some of us have tested aren't available for cars yet. At least, not in a real car-friendly package. John Stranahan has tested them, and had extremely good success. I tried some too, and they were outstanding. However, the packs are too long for most cars, and not available with a hard case. Hopefully, someone will wise up and bring them to the R/C car market. The cell manufacturer is Saehan Enertech, and right now FMA Direct is importing them.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well crap, syndr0me had to go and give a well thought out answer. Thats just going to ruin it for all the people who want to come on and say "<insert pack> rulZ, the rest are garbage!"

For me though, I've decided to stick with the Kokam made Orion cells for a couple reasons.

1. Safety. I've been using and abusing Orions lipos since they launched. They've held up beautifully with only a case dent here or there to deal with.

2. Customer service. Orions position on their packs from the get go has been. "have a problem, send it back, we'll replace it". Its that simple. Now compare that to some other R/C companies customer service, like say Trinity!

3. Loyalty. Yeah, its probably mis-guided, but Orion took the Lipo leap for surface R/C BEFORE it was in vogue, BEFORE it was apparent ROAR would approve it, BEFORE many in R/C was willing to accept it, and WHILE nearly every other battery maker attacked Lipo with false info, and played the sit back and 'see what happens' game. And to me, there should be a definite 'risk/reward' in business. Orion took the risk(and got it right), now they get the reward of my $$$.

Also, Orion is started to join in with the higher voltage with packs like their 3600, but they're doing it responsibly with safety and reliability as thier priority. If I had to go with one other company's Lipo, the next choice for me would be the CORE 5000 pack. Just because I know Schumacher wouldn't sell something that was junk.

Besides that, syndr0me gave the CORE 5000 his seal of approval, and he test everything on the market. So if he stuck with that, it has to be good!
Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

IMHO, all except the MaxAmps look like they will be good for racing. I have run the Orion 3200, 3600 and the Core 5000, and these packs have been very good. Personally, I don't like the way MaxAmps is trying to pass off a hard shell. < Once again, my opinion, not that of ROAR.

Originally Posted by BSchorr
I want to get into lipo now that ROAR has allowed it. I am aware of all the lipo's being sent to ROAR for approval testing.

But It seems like Orion is the best followed by MaxAmps, CORE, and maybe the new checkpoint 5400 lipo?

But I am leaning towards the Orion's since there is no wires hanging out of the case alot with the balancing port. So prolly the 4800 or 3600...?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BSchorr

Speed wise any of the current 5000mah packs are best. They are 2s1p (2 cell series, 1 cell parrallel). The can put out more power than any of the smaller 3200 to 3600 packs and they flow more current than the 15C 2s2p Orion 4800 pack.

I don't know how the cells in the CP 5400 pack are setup. If it is just 2 5400 cells (2s1p) it will be good.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have ran both the Orion and Core - both great packs. I had an Orion just stop working and Pat at Orion/Peak replaced it no questions. I know Shawn or Adam at Schumacher would do the same. So customer service is very close.

Performance: I would have to say the Core gives me a like more punch for the buck. But again I have really abused the Orion.

Balancing: I really don't care for the external balance plug on the Core, however you can balance it pretty easily compared to coming up with some balancing leads. Most high end packs really don't need balancing, so maybe not an issue.

Ok so I prolly didnt help much - buy the Core because its black and doesnt show the tire foam
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Core 5000.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I haven't tried any soft case packs but out of the hard shell ones I have run the orion 3600 is defiantly the best performer on track. The trackpower 4900, trinity 4500 & Orion 3200 all performed about the same. The Core & RCE 5000 packs I have run were by far the worst with less top end and punch than all the others.

Mark
Old 01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
I haven't tried any soft case packs but out of the hard shell ones I have run the orion 3600 is defiantly the best performer on track. The trackpower 4900, trinity 4500 & Orion 3200 all performed about the same. The Core & RCE 5000 packs I have run were by far the worst with less top end and punch than all the others.

Mark
Do you have some test details like lap times, motor combo, car etc? Your results are pretty much the opposite of what evryone else is reporting.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default core

Core 5000

Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Do you have some test details like lap times, motor combo, car etc? Your results are pretty much the opposite of what evryone else is reporting.
All my testing has been in 10.5 sedan on a carpet track running simple a/b comparisons. Lap times for the middle tier packs I have tried were all the same but did produce different power bands and needed slightly different gearing to get the most out of them.

The 3600 was a full .1s faster than the middle tier packs from the start and fell off less over a 6min run, the power difference was great enough to be seen.

The core packs have all been extremely flat with no bottom or top end and ran nearly .2s off the 3600. With all the hype surrounding these batts I had expected them to be nothing short of exceptional and was certainly disappointed with performance I got.

Locally several other experienced racers that bought the core packs have had similar results and switched to others.

Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
All my testing has been in 10.5 sedan on a carpet track running simple a/b comparisons. Lap times for the middle tier packs I have tried were all the same but did produce different power bands and needed slightly different gearing to get the most out of them.

The 3600 was a full .1s faster than the middle tier packs from the start and fell off less over a 6min run, the power difference was great enough to be seen.

The core packs have all been extremely flat with no bottom or top end and ran nearly .2s off the 3600. With all the hype surrounding these batts I had expected them to be nothing short of exceptional and was certainly disappointed with performance I got.

Locally several other experienced racers that bought the core packs have had similar results and switched to others.

Mark

Did the cars you tested between both packs weighed the same?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All i want to know is what is the biggest lipo to fit in a 08 sedan??? On a seriuos note I have ran the 3200, 4800, and the new 3600.....the 3600 for some reason seems to have the most useable power not overly punchy just felt better overall...
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Legend

Default Thanks Mark !

That decided it all for me , Carbon 3600 fer 2008.......
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Don't forget the Trakpower 4900.The best after sale customer service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.