R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #1366
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverGeared View Post
Hi all,

Just got my GEN-X 10 LE today. Along with the kit are pairs of Purple foam tires (front JAC2125 and rear JAC2143) from JACO and a 200mm DB-9 World GT (#10225) racing body with wing from Parma. (I hope I ordered the correct stuff for the 10 LE). I am into 1/10 touring cars and planning to introduce the 1/10 pan car racing here in my local racing club.

Can you guys give me a couple of assembly tips, do's and dont's before and while assembling this great car? I want to get it right for the first time.

Any piece of advice will be much appreciated.
Don't set it up like a Touring Car (basically forget all you know)
Too much camber causes the car to spin out exiting corners
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #1367
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
Don't set it up like a Touring Car (basically forget all you know)
Too much camber causes the car to spin out exiting corners
Noted... thanks.

OverGeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #1368
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just downloaded the manual from the Gen-X 10 LE and looked trough construction of the car. Two questions are left.
What sort of tube lube is included with the kit?
Regarding the rear ride height spacers I know there are (were) two different styles available, the old Associated style and the newer ones from CRC which are much better fit. Which ones are included with the LE? A friend of me bought two of the original Gen-X 10 kits, the first kit had the Associated style and the second kit which he bought one year later had the newer CRC style included.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #1369
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi all,

Just got my GEN-X 10 LE today. Along with the kit are pairs of Purple foam tires (front JAC2125 and rear JAC2143) from JACO and a 200mm DB-9 World GT (#10225) racing body with wing from Parma. (I hope I ordered the correct stuff for the 10 LE). I am into 1/10 touring cars and planning to introduce the 1/10 pan car racing here in my local racing club.

Can you guys give me a couple of assembly tips, do's and dont's before and while assembling this great car? I want to get it right for the first time.

Any piece of advice will be much appreciated.
What kind of on-road track do you run on?

If carpet, use Brian Wynn's 2010 IIC setup for his LE to start. If asphalt, use one of the setups (not LE) that was posted on this string for the 2010 ROAR Asphalt Nationals at NorCal Hobbies. However, both setups will be based on using ROAR spec tires (Lilacs).

Bill
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #1370
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Just downloaded the manual from the Gen-X 10 LE and looked trough construction of the car. Two questions are left.
What sort of tube lube is included with the kit?
Regarding the rear ride height spacers I know there are (were) two different styles available, the old Associated style and the newer ones from CRC which are much better fit. Which ones are included with the LE? A friend of me bought two of the original Gen-X 10 kits, the first kit had the Associated style and the second kit which he bought one year later had the newer CRC style included.
Thanks V12. Forgive my ignorance, I have no idea how the old Associated style spacer looks like neither is that of CRC's.

For the tube lube, nothing much is written on the lube container nor described in the manual (except the part ID# 35), I presume that this is a standard silicone oil? I compared it with an Associated 40wt oil - the tube lube's viscosity is thicker (probably 80wt?).

I have taken some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
CRC 1/10 Pan Car-04012011008.jpg   CRC 1/10 Pan Car-04012011009.jpg   CRC 1/10 Pan Car-04012011010.jpg  

Last edited by OverGeared; 01-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #1371
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
What kind of on-road track do you run on?

If carpet, use Brian Wynn's 2010 IIC setup for his LE to start. If asphalt, use one of the setups (not LE) that was posted on this string for the 2010 ROAR Asphalt Nationals at NorCal Hobbies. However, both setups will be based on using ROAR spec tires (Lilacs).

Bill
Thanks Bill. It's an outdoor asphalt with medium traction. Any advise on which springs to use upfront? For the rear spring I am planning to run it with the stock spring, but no idea about what viscosity of oil to use.

I got Jaco purple tires for the front and rear (JAC2125 and JAC2143), Novak GTB ESC with a Vector X12 10.5 Stock motor and SMC 2s 5200 50c LiPo battery packs.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #1372
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks Bill. It's an outdoor asphalt with medium traction. Any advise on which springs to use upfront? For the rear spring I am planning to run it with the stock spring, but no idea about what viscosity of oil to use.

I got Jaco purple tires for the front and rear (JAC2125 and JAC2143), Novak GTB ESC with a Vector X12 10.5 Stock motor and SMC 2s 5200 50c LiPo battery packs.

I have always used red/red springs on my Gen-X 10 cars for outdoor asphalt. If the track is really smooth, you could also consider using 1/12th king pins and 45# springs for the front end.

Used both #20000 and #30000 lubes in the side tubes for medium to high traction outdoor asphalt. CRC has them available as optional lubes. Start a ritual of applying the lube equally to both tubes so they feel the same. I have seen others use different weights side-to-side to get an in between effect...say by using #20000 and #30000 to average out at #25000.

When traction is low, I have moved the ESC to one side and everything else to the other side with the 1S battery back about 1/2". Not having most of the weight down the center seems to help with weight transfer side-to-side for low bite conditions.

Bill
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #1373
Tech Adept

Quote:
I have always used red/red springs on my Gen-X 10 cars for outdoor asphalt. If the track is really smooth, you could also consider using 1/12th king pins and 45# springs for the front end.

Used both #20000 and #30000 lubes in the side tubes for medium to high traction outdoor asphalt. CRC has them available as optional lubes. Start a ritual of applying the lube equally to both tubes so they feel the same. I have seen others use different weights side-to-side to get an in between effect...say by using #20000 and #30000 to average out at #25000.

When traction is low, I have moved the ESC to one side and everything else to the other side with the 1S battery back about 1/2". Not having most of the weight down the center seems to help with weight transfer side-to-side for low bite conditions.

Bill
I've been browsing the posted setup sheets on CRC's home page and have printed those that you have suggested - will try them for a start. Also, that which you have advised me as above.

Man... NiMo was right. Basically I have to forget everything I know with regards to EP touring car setup. This is really a different playing field...

Jun
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #1374
Tech Champion

Quote:
I've been browsing the posted setup sheets on CRC's home page and have printed those that you have suggested - will try them for a start. Also, that which you have advised me as above.

Man... NiMo was right. Basically I have to forget everything I know with regards to EP touring car setup. This is really a different playing field...

Jun
Sorry again Jun...Forget all you know about driving a touring car too...This can be better!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #1375
Tech Adept

Quote:
Sorry again Jun...Forget all you know about driving a touring car too...This can be better!
Even that one huh... well this is going to be fun!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #1376
Tech Master

Quote:
Even that one huh... well this is going to be fun!

If you can set the end points on your TX then adjust the brake so it is just enough to slow the car into a corner without spinning it, this can be helpful at times, but basically you are using the front end for cornering and not the brakes, so start with the 5 negative blocks and put 2 spacers behind the upper arms for less castor, this gives you the turn in without the hooking (pulling around ) effect coming out of corners (you may even exit a corner with power on understeer).
Unlike a TC where you have to balance the front and rear to work together in harmony, on a pan car the front and rear work independentely with the weight movement of the battery/electrics to balance the two ends.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #1377
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Trailing or inline?

Do you guys prefer running the axles Trailing or Inline for carpet? It appears inline gives more steering, but the two LE setups on CRC show the setup as 'trailing'.

Thanks,
Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #1378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What is/are the benefit(s) of running the 1/12 kingpins?
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #1379
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
The spring lb rating is kind of a joke. I have seen the same spring sold by different companies with different lb ratings each time. Our website explains what each spring is. Do not worry about the "rating".

CRC Blue = Assoc Silver.
CRC White = Assoc Blue
CRC Red = Assoc Gold
CRC Green = Assoc Red
CRC Purple = Assoc Copper
CRC Black = stiffer than copper
Very helpful ..... Thank you !
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #1380
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
What is/are the benefit(s) of running the 1/12 kingpins?
I have found that the 12th scale kingpins and springs make the front of the car more reactive. Also I was more familiar with the 12th scale front springs as I have run CRC 12th scales for so many years.

We always run trailing as it makes the car smoother.

I am trying some new things with the car....I will be running a brand new setup this weekend at the Grand Slam race at the Gate. If I feel that any of it is worth keeping on the car I will let you guys know when I get back.
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote