R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #1111
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrc View Post
Hi ,

I'm thinking about getting one of these to race at the local track and with some m8's , The local track runs carpet and I usually race my M8's from work on smooth asphalt in our office parking lot. How well does this car run on asphalt and how well does it hold up? I want to get it because I like the simplicity, speed and style over TC's and minis I just want to make sure that I'm not going to wreck it on parking lot asphalt.

Thanks

Steve

I have been running the GenX10 outdoors (Pro10) since the first batch shipped. It is a simple car, but like any pan car it has some things you must realize.

Maintenance is crucial! I have wrecked 3 rear axles because of a rear bearing coming apart, and wearing into the axle.
The front suspension ball tends to pick up grit from running out doors, and seazing the front end up. You will notice the car will start spining out coming out of corners, and wont "carve" into the corner on the way in. Use a 1/8th drill bit, or a hone to clean the inside of the ball, and I use a dremel with a polishing pad on the king pins.
Tires! I bring 3 different combo's of wheels to my track. Normally I use only two different combos (Pink/Purple, White/Pink, Yellow/Black). If you are running on the wronge foam your car will be either slow, or un-controllable.
Rear diff. Make sure its working right. I bought ceramic balls for mine, and took 2 hours assembling, to make sure the rear diff was butter smooth. With steel balls, I found the grit from the track was forcing me to rebuild the re-diff every 2-3 weeks (about 20-15 5 min runs). Since switching to ceramics, I havnt rebuild after a year of running.

Oh, and keep acouple of extra sets of bearings on hand. Even without crashing they tend to wear out faster on a pancar then a touring car. Acouple of online hobby shops sell steel ball bearing sets for pan cars really inexpensively.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #1112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For outdoor, I also use Kimbrough spur gears which have the option of adding dust covers that helps keep grit out of the diff balls. Rebuilds are far apart.

Some of the original rear axles in 2008 had a defect where the threaded rod pulled out of the axle when tightened or impacted. Have not had a problem after CRC replaced mine.

With a front bumper, I do not consider the Gen X-10 to be fragile at all. But, I am pretty good about not hitting things...LOL.

Like Shawn says, keep a supply of bearings available for the front and rear axles.

Bill
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #1113
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sweet thanks for the tips , I'm probably going to try and pick one up next week and add it to my stable. I have an extra Jrx-s if anyone wants to trade though
mrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #1114
Tech Champion

Quote:
Sweet thanks for the tips , I'm probably going to try and pick one up next week and add it to my stable. I have an extra Jrx-s if anyone wants to trade though
I, for one, progressed from the JRX-S to the Gen X-10 to get the battery down the middle chassis design...You are in good company...LOL
Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #1115
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How do you like the CRC v. The Jrx-s , I really like driving the Jrx-s but the simplicity and handling characteristics of the 10th scale pan car are drawing me in. I have and extra Jrx-s so ill probably keep one and trade the other to get a CRC. how do you think a brushed 10 turn checkpoint with a 1s compare to the brushless counterpart. I have 6 brand new checkpoint mod motors and 3 QC2 speed controls laying around Ill probably utilize.

Thanks

Steve
mrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #1116
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Personalized Pod Plates for GenX10 and Gen XL

For those of you that have expressed interest, I have updated the website and am setup to take orders for personalized pod plates. Prior to Snowbirds, I made up two each for some of the CRC drivers: Hupo, Frank, Bryan, Mario, Dave Ehrlich, and Brian Bodine. Dave handed them out at Snowbirds and said they were a big hit with the drivers. If you have any questions please pm me on RCtech or email off my website.

The website is setup to take orders for individuals wanting 1 or 2+ engraved with our standard font (Arial Black Italic Bold) filled with white acrylic paint. Leadtime is 1-2 weeks plus shipping. I will take custom orders of 10 or more for teams, hobbyshops, or manufacturers. Email or Call for pricing (visit website's contact us page).

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
CRC 1/10 Pan Car-picu0977.jpg   CRC 1/10 Pan Car-troymckunepp.jpg   CRC 1/10 Pan Car-troyppiso.jpg   CRC 1/10 Pan Car-timezonepp.jpg  
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #1117
Tech Champion

Quote:
How do you like the CRC v. The Jrx-s , I really like driving the Jrx-s but the simplicity and handling characteristics of the 10th scale pan car are drawing me in. I have and extra Jrx-s so ill probably keep one and trade the other to get a CRC. how do you think a brushed 10 turn checkpoint with a 1s compare to the brushless counterpart. I have 6 brand new checkpoint mod motors and 3 QC2 speed controls laying around Ill probably utilize.

Thanks

Steve
Steve,

I can only tout the current legal WGT setup (ROAR and IIC).

We originally started out with 2S with 13.5 turn motors and the car would beat virtually any mod car. Detuned that to 2S and 17.5 to bring the car down a bit. Now, with 1S, 13.5 and a Tekin RS ESC the car is back to being a rocket...And being very light, the spec tires last 3-4 race weekends plus some practice days.

A very fast car that does not cost an arm and a leg. IMO...Best on carpet; but, pretty impressive on asphalt tracks that have good traction.

Sell the three QC3 ESCs and get one Tekin RS. You won't regret it.

Bill
Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #1118
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
For those of you that have expressed interest, I have updated the website and am setup to take orders for personalized pod plates. Prior to Snowbirds, I made up two each for some of the CRC drivers: Hupo, Frank, Bryan, Mario, Dave Ehrlich, and Brian Bodine. Dave handed them out at Snowbirds and said they were a big hit with the drivers. If you have any questions please pm me on RCtech or email off my website.

The website is setup to take orders for individuals wanting 1 or 2+ engraved with our standard font (Arial Black Italic Bold) filled with white acrylic paint. Leadtime is 1-2 weeks plus shipping. I will take custom orders of 10 or more for teams, hobbyshops, or manufacturers. Email or Call for pricing (visit website's contact us page).

Troy
Thanks Troy.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #1119
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to know is everyone cutting the back side of the top deck to uses the center esc plate. or is there diffrent top deck to use
thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #1120
Tech Champion

Default on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCracken View Post
I would like to know is everyone cutting the back side of the top deck to uses the center esc plate. or is there diffrent top deck to use
thanks.
I cut away all of the material on the topdeck until it was pretty much just an "X" shaped piece of carbon fiber. It is minimal to say the least. Have previously posted pics on this thread.

Bill
Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #1121
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I cut away all of the material on the topdeck until it was pretty much just an "X" shaped piece of carbon fiber.
Same here.
even removed the shock mount unit and replaced with a single bolt and plastic spacers.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #1122
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
Same here.
even removed the shock mount unit and replaced with a single bolt and plastic spacers.
Same here about the mount. Originally did a raised single ball joint and a separate antenna mount. Later reverted back to the original parts to try the front of the shock at different elevations.

Bill
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #1123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post

Troy
I ran this back plate at Birds on my wgt and I swear I picked up 2 tenths! Really. Then I put one on my 12th and it slowed down 2 tenths, but it looked really cool.
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #1124
Tech Elite

Some are asking if there were any McKune chassis in the WGT A Main at Birds..... yes, there were two: Dave & myself. Troy sent me a chassis a few weeks ago for testing. I tested at TimezoneII, Hanger 30 and then trial by fire straight to Orlando. Honestly, the chassis is not designed to be a performance enhancer, just simpler to use. For a single deck chassis, it feels the same as the factory CRC double deck chassis. The big difference you will see is the battery mounting. The Mckune chassis uses tape to secure the battery. Frank hates tape. I think he must have had a bad experience in a shipping dept at one time and that's why you don't see any tape holding anything in their cars. I was very pleased with the McKune/CRC GenX10 at birds. There was a 3rd turn pile up at the start didn't turn out well for me. It was follow the leader from that point to the end. The fit and finish of the McKune chassis is excellent. Everything lined up. Every hole was perfectly counter sunk.

Brian
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #1125
Tech Regular

i am looking for a used genx10 as a WGT car if anyone is looking to sell one.
PM me.

Josh Evans
kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote