R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #1096
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Snowbirds

Would be interesting to hear about CRC team races at Snowbirds. Troy mentioned two drivers but I believe there was more ;-) .

www.rc-cars.lt - offroad in Lithuania
www.lasa.lt - onroad in Lithuania
audriusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #1097
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Diff woes

So,
i'm putting my diff back together after sitting for a few months, and something is amiss. I think the silver collar (that rests against the bearing) shrunk!! I dropped on the aluminum collar, then the conical washer, tried to tighten it down, and it bottomed out on the carbon part of the axle! For some reason there is more of the carbon axle exposed which keeps the nut tightening fully.
I'm not sure what the heck happened. I ended up using the plastic collar from my 12th scale car to make it work (coller is thicker, or wider than the aluminum one).
What am I missing here? The only thing I can think of is the spur gear is thinner, but I think its negligible.
Are any of you using a thrust bearing? (like Slapmaster)

Hope this makes sense. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #1098
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bsmooth, are you the pancar version of Mcsmooth?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1099
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
So,
i'm putting my diff back together after sitting for a few months, and something is amiss. I think the silver collar (that rests against the bearing) shrunk!! I dropped on the aluminum collar, then the conical washer, tried to tighten it down, and it bottomed out on the carbon part of the axle! For some reason there is more of the carbon axle exposed which keeps the nut tightening fully.
I'm not sure what the heck happened. I ended up using the plastic collar from my 12th scale car to make it work (coller is thicker, or wider than the aluminum one).
What am I missing here? The only thing I can think of is the spur gear is thinner, but I think its negligible.
Are any of you using a thrust bearing? (like Slapmaster)

Hope this makes sense. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
The threaded rod is pulling out of the composite axle as you tighten the nut. CRC warranteed such issues because they sent me a free replacement axle over a year ago. I believe that they initially got a bad batch of axles.

Yes, I do use a Slapmaster. They come in a specific size for certain 1/10th scale cars. Always have one in my pan cars.

Bill
Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #1100
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
The threaded rod is pulling out of the composite axle as you tighten the nut. CRC warranteed such issues because they sent me a free replacement axle over a year ago. I believe that they initially got a bad batch of axles.

Yes, I do use a Slapmaster. They come in a specific size for certain 1/10th scale cars. Always have one in my pan cars.

Bill
I'll be dammed. That makes sense. Thanks Bill. Is there any shops that carry Slapmaster stuff, or do we still need to order direct?
Oh, and how did you get CRC to warranty the part?

Maybe I'll see you at Norcal Thursday night.

Thanks again.

-Steve
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #1101
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
I'll be dammed. That makes sense. Thanks Bill. Is there any shops that carry Slapmaster stuff, or do we still need to order direct?
Oh, and how did you get CRC to warranty the part?

Maybe I'll see you at Norcal Thursday night.

Thanks again.

-Steve
I believe I saw Slapmaster at either A-Main Hobbies or Nexus in the past month. Make sure that you order the correct one for your assembly. That info about the different models is on the Slapmaster website.

It's been a while; but, I believe I e-mailed John at CRC to get the replacement unit.

Bill
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #1102
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I believe I saw Slapmaster at either A-Main Hobbies or Nexus in the past month. Make sure that you order the correct one for your assembly. That info about the different models is on the Slapmaster website.

It's been a while; but, I believe I e-mailed John at CRC to get the replacement unit.

Bill
I'll try it.
thanks again.

-Steve
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #1103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

slapmaster thrust bearing is a must! you can order directly from Brian's site:

http://www.slapmastertools.com/thrust-bearings.php
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #1104
Tech Champion

This is the correct one...#120 will fit: CRC GenX10 WGT
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #1105
Tech Apprentice

Default why 1/10th pan???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
I've just never quite understood the appeal of this class over 1/12th scale. Seems that I'm not alone either since this class died once and has failed to be resurected at least a couple times that I know of. At least now the one advantage it has is the ability to use Lipos. Would be fun to have one to play around with but a 1/10th scale pancar is was down in my list of things I want to buy for RC.
have you ever wanted to run your 1/12 scale outside? 1/10th pan can be used inside and out. Can use touring car bodies. simple and much less expensive. Run your 4 cell battery and a 19 brushed and be just as fast as a touring car at one third the price. Use modern brushless, lipo and have a missle that will chase down 1/8 nitro cars (almost) and still run on the carpet
rsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #1106
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsperson View Post
have you ever wanted to run your 1/12 scale outside? 1/10th pan can be used inside and out. Can use touring car bodies. simple and much less expensive. Run your 4 cell battery and a 19 brushed and be just as fast as a touring car at one third the price. Use modern brushless, lipo and have a missle that will chase down 1/8 nitro cars (almost) and still run on the carpet
+1

How about 2S and 5.5 outdoors? Don't blink.
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #1107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusv View Post
Would be interesting to hear about CRC team races at Snowbirds. Troy mentioned two drivers but I believe there was more ;-) .
Im not a Team CRC driver but i did use the Mckune chassis and finished 3rd in the C-main. But im also not a high caliber driver. And this was my first time racing a WGT Car.

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
ChadRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #1108
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lots of people ask me why I run WGT and not touring cars anymore (Not 12th I know) but I have found that you can be competitive with fairly cheap gear. I also like the fact that parts are dirt cheap and upgrades are not really needed although I have bought a few mainly better screws and fittings.

My Genx10 has been almost bullet proof since I have had it the only problem I have had has been the thread pulling out of the rear axel and the racing has been really close. If I was still running touring I would have probably broken more or worn more parts which would have needed replacing.
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #1109
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi ,

I'm thinking about getting one of these to race at the local track and with some m8's , The local track runs carpet and I usually race my M8's from work on smooth asphalt in our office parking lot. How well does this car run on asphalt and how well does it hold up? I want to get it because I like the simplicity, speed and style over TC's and minis I just want to make sure that I'm not going to wreck it on parking lot asphalt.

Thanks

Steve
mrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #1110
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrc View Post
Hi ,

I'm thinking about getting one of these to race at the local track and with some m8's , The local track runs carpet and I usually race my M8's from work on smooth asphalt in our office parking lot. How well does this car run on asphalt and how well does it hold up? I want to get it because I like the simplicity, speed and style over TC's and minis I just want to make sure that I'm not going to wreck it on parking lot asphalt.

Thanks

Steve
I use mine on asphalt during that time of the year. Runs great and is most durable with a foam bumper in place.

Bill