R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #421
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Got the car built, wired up and finished. Impressions of the build:

-Waaaaay too many different hex head sizes required for my taste.. If I can build my Tamiya 4wd sedan with a 2mm driver for all the car screws and a 2.5mm driver just for the motor screws, theres no reason I should have to have 3-4 drivers and a super micro sized allen wrench around just to build a pan car.
-Couple missing items from my kit. One FH red screw for the rear pod and the lower rubber seal for the losi shock.
-More shims should have been included for the front wheels. Awful lot of play side to side there.
-I know that its not a traditional thing to do with pan cars, but the car really should come with the new foam bumper.
-Some of the screws didn't exactly thread perfectly into the aluminum parts. And because it aluminum into aluminum, your afraid to really crank them. This occured primarily when installing the top plate onto the rear alum motor mount, but also occured at other times.
-Where the heck were the set up instructions? The manual kept saying "just get it close, we'll set that later", but then you get to the end of the manual, and theres nothing there but the parts listing???

Other than that, it was a cool build. The diff was prefect without any ring sanding or any special tricks to smooth it out. Man, I need some of these bearings for my other cars. You can spin those front wheels and they'll just go forever. And the car looks amazing with the graphite pattern Jaco spec foams mounted up.

Overall, great looking kit, can't wait to get it out and try it.
Wow! A description of my build is nearly the same...including the one missing red screw...

Good job Darkseid...
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I run a Speedmerchant Formula 10 and am working with a fellow racer to help him get his CRC up and running well. The two cars are disimilar enough that I am not sure the set up info I apply to my SM will transfer to his CRC; especially for the front end. Does anyone have a set up for carpet with the Jaco Spec tires? I looked through the thread a bit to see if I could find one, but I don't frequent this thread much so I may have missed it. I read the set up on the last page with BSR pinks, but there was a lot of info about shims and such on the front end that I was unclear about. Maybe someone could translate it a little for me? Thanks!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #423
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Wow! A description of my build is nearly the same...including the one missing red screw...

Good job Darkseid...
Well I don't want to name names, but to be fair to "TF" (the person who packed my kit), the screw wasn't exactly missing, "TF" just substituted a red button head in place of a red FH. So "TF" didn't completely forget a screw, "TF" just got the wrong screw. So it wasn't completely bad for "TF".

But you know, I won't name names...its just not my style to do that to "TF".

Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #424
Regional Moderator

A look at my set up. The wiring is likely temporary. I almost never leave the first wire job on my car as the permanent lay out. I just wish that the 17.5 novak had the same 'wrap' around the sensor wire that some of their newer motors do.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #425
Tech Regular

World GT spec tires are now available from CRC! - http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...category_id=71
Old 10-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #426
Tech Regular

does anyone know if i can use NOVAK's 1/12th scale brushless motor gearing chart for the 1/10th DB10R?? or is the the 1/12th scale gearing totally different compared to 1/10th?
s13evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #427
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up Re...rollout

Go to Gear chart .com, create your own roll out chart....
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #428
Tech Champion

I will be debuting my Gen-X 10 this coming weekend at the Region 12 Asphalt Regionals at Ripon Raceway. The car will be setup with a Novak 13.5 motor, SMC 5000 lipo, Alfa Sophia GT body and Jaco Purple/Pinks.

Does anyone have any initial setup suggestions for this package on asphalt? Currently, all springs installed are the stock ones that came with the Gen-X 10 kit.

I am particularly concerned about the stock spring on the Losi center shock. It appears to be too short for this application; and, easily gets cockeyed when the suspension unloads. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Still Bill; 10-19-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #429
Tech Regular

which Spur/Pinion gear will you be running?
s13evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #430
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13evo View Post
which Spur/Pinion gear will you be running?
Starting with 29/98. Have tires cut to 56/58 too.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #431
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
I will be debuting my Gen-X 10 this coming weekend at the Region 12 Asphalt Regionals at Ripon Raceway. The car will be setup with a Novak 13.5 motor, SMC 5000 lipo, Alfa Sophia GT body and Jaco Purple/Pinks.

Does anyone have any initial setup suggestions for this package on asphalt? Currently, all springs installed are the stock ones that came with the Gen-X 10 kit.

I am particularly concerned about the stock spring on the Losi center shock. It appears to be too short for this application; and, easily gets cockeyed when the suspension unloads. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
Hey Bill, the first thing i would do is to check your rear pod droop. you only want 1 - 2 mm of droop at the most. i believe, with the stock ball cups, the shock allows the pod to travel farther than that. you may want to thread the ball end farther up the shock shaft to reduce the droop and then the spring won't leave the cup as much.

I don't know if i can help you in regards to a good asphalt setup. i only have one race on the car on asphalt and that was with the 235mm kit, lipos, and a 4.5 motor.

for 200mm, on medium bite carpet, we haven't been changing that much on the stock setup. mainly, we swap the white and red springs, so white is in the front and red is in the rear, and we run max caster on the front end (shims all the way back). 4 cell pack all the way to the front, or in the middle for a little more steering. running it all the way back seems to make the car really aggresive and swings the rear end of the car around in the corner.

hope this helps...

John
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #432
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is my CRC Gen-X 10:

Winner of the first race in my city on this category.

Awesome car, good performance, slightly better than RC10R5...

Have a nice day...
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #433
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywhopper View Post
Hey Bill, the first thing i would do is to check your rear pod droop. you only want 1 - 2 mm of droop at the most. i believe, with the stock ball cups, the shock allows the pod to travel farther than that. you may want to thread the ball end farther up the shock shaft to reduce the droop and then the spring won't leave the cup as much.

John
John,

That's it! Headed out to the garage to change that right now...Be back in an hour for more asphalt setup ideas....Pleeeeeeeeze...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #434
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_ View Post
Here is my CRC Gen-X 10:

Winner of the first race in my city on this category.

Awesome car, good performance, slightly better than RC10R5...

Have a nice day...
look great
Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #435
Tech Champion

Default 5/16" tweak screws

Are the 5/16" long allen screws (tweak) in the rear of the car long enough? I like being able to position the tweak springs closer to the bottom plate to get initial contact going all the time. Seems like these screws should be about 1/2" long. Thoughts? Thanks.