R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #3391
Tech Champion

Building my Gen X 10LE finally With the slider pod conversion do I need to go with the short ball cup on the shock? I notice with the shock built as per instructions there is a lot of rear droop. Built as per instructions with the slider conversion I have nearly 4mm of rear droop.

Also what weight shock oil does it come with? 30?

Last edited by InspGadgt; 08-31-2013 at 08:57 PM.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #3392
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Building my Gen X 10LE finally With the slider pod conversion do I need to go with the short ball cup on the shock? I notice with the shock built as per instructions there is a lot of rear droop. Built as per instructions with the slider conversion I have nearly 4mm of rear droop.
OK Burt, I won't make any reference to your 'droopy pod'...

At the forward end of the shock for Part #52 on Page 7, the manual shows to use the 'closed cup' piece from the plastic shock parts tree. However, I used the 'open cup' piece (shaped rectangular as opposed to round bodied closed cup). Just a matter of preference here.

At the rearward end of the shock (towards the pod), I used the longer ball cup; BUT, CUT THE METAL SHOCK SHAFT BY WHATEVER WAS NEEDED TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST THE REAR POD DROOP TO A RANGE OF 0-2 DEGREES. Thinking I had to cut something like 1/16" off of the shock shaft to accomplish this. The droop of my rear pod is typically set at 1 degree; so, this gives me 1 degree of adjustability in either direction.

And I have also accomplished the same thing by adding a second Part #44 (small o-ring) inside the shock which acts as a shock travel limiter.

Aloha!

Bill
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #3393
Tech Champion

Ok well I guess the instructions need a lil work there. I tried it with the short rod end and it is just about .5mm droop with the short one. Much easier to do than cutting the shaft.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #3394
Tech Champion

Quote:
Ok well I guess the instructions need a lil work there. I tried it with the short rod end and it is just about .5mm droop with the short one. Much easier to do than cutting the shaft.
Burt,

Using the extra internal o-ring solution involves less "commitment"...LOL

Truly, I cut through the shaft in 1-2 seconds with a Dremel disk. Thinking that I trimmed it down twice until I achieved the proper length...Maybe it was like 1/32" at a time. Been a few years ago; and, you know how my memory can be...

Cheers! Aloha! Cha, cha, cha...

Bill
Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #3395
Tech Champion

Yeah but cutting the shaft down seems so permanent...I'd rather go with the shorter ball cup.

What is the stock shock oil weight?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #3396
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yeah but cutting the shaft down seems so permanent...I'd rather go with the shorter ball cup.

What is the stock shock oil weight?
Then the extra o-ring should handle the issue.

The stock shock oil in the kit is 30 wt. And there is no need to ever change the weight per Dumper.

Bill
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #3397
Tech Champion

Ok cool. I think I've got it set now
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #3398
Tech Champion

OK. Then, how about a picture...or two...

Bill
Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #3399
Tech Champion

I've only got the roller assembled right now. Still running my old car locally until the IIC so I figured I'd wait until I got the whole thing together to post pics.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #3400
Tech Champion

Quote:
I've only got the roller assembled right now. Still running my old car locally until the IIC so I figured I'd wait until I got the whole thing together to post pics.
OK. I can wait.

Is it time yet...LOL
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3401
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to Cancun Tom
Smile VELODROME in Cancun!

I guess I'll never ceased to be surprised at what I find in Cancun. They have built a world class sports center a couple of years ago and no one knows about it. We were trying out a newly built outdoor off road track Sunday when one of my friends told me about this banked oval within eyesight. We drove over with my CRC LE and RC10LS pan cars to check it out. Two caretakers allowed us access. The complex is apparently only used on weekdays, so it was empty. We asked if we could run my cars and they said sure. Now we had a practice session earlier in the day so the batteries were not going to last long and they were geared completely wrong for a track that is aroung 400 meters in length. (1312 ft.)
check out the link to my very short goPro HD video of my first ever try at such a long track. Any tips on how to gear for this track would be appreciated. We are going back this coming Sunday with fully charged batts and a GPS to get an exact length.
http://youtu.be/NLgtLsQrrk0
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #3402
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't know if they still can be found, but RPM used to make shock clips (that clip on the shaft) that MIGHT able to be used internally to "shorten" the shaft. If I recall correctly, I had to trim 1/32 or so off of the ends of the ears for the pliers so they would move smoothly inside the shock body.'

Scott

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #3403
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun Tom View Post
I guess I'll never ceased to be surprised at what I find in Cancun. They have built a world class sports center a couple of years ago and no one knows about it. We were trying out a newly built outdoor off road track Sunday when one of my friends told me about this banked oval within eyesight. We drove over with my CRC LE and RC10LS pan cars to check it out. Two caretakers allowed us access. The complex is apparently only used on weekdays, so it was empty. We asked if we could run my cars and they said sure. Now we had a practice session earlier in the day so the batteries were not going to last long and they were geared completely wrong for a track that is aroung 400 meters in length. (1312 ft.)
check out the link to my very short goPro HD video of my first ever try at such a long track. Any tips on how to gear for this track would be appreciated. We are going back this coming Sunday with fully charged batts and a GPS to get an exact length.
Too big a track for my old eyes...LOL

Interesting that it would be there.

Bill
Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #3404
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun Tom View Post
It looks like it's time to put in the 2s LiPo!
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #3405
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
It looks like it's time to put in the 2s LiPo!
And have a live camera in the car to see the mongo track...