R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #3106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

SG1 - You really have something with your setup! There is a local at my track (Henry, he has posted here) that duplicated your car and he has the flat out best WGT car at out track. He is not 100% consistent as a driver but the setup has so much corner speed that even with some funky lines he is a top 5 in the A-main runner now. He gets such a good run coming out of corners that its like he's running a 10.5.

CRC should definitely look at what you are doing when it comes time to update the Gen X10.

BTW, there will be CRC white springs on the front and back of my 10R5.1 in a few days...going to try flipping the damper tubes too...lol!

Question, when you say max timing what is that numerically? My D3.5's top out around 28deg. what rotor are you running...the Maxzilla 12.5mm Hi Torque?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #3107
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
SG1 - You really have something with your setup! There is a local at my track (Henry, he has posted here) that duplicated your car and he has the flat out best WGT car at out track. He is not 100% consistent as a driver but the setup has so much corner speed that even with some funky lines he is a top 5 in the A-main runner now. He gets such a good run coming out of corners that its like he's running a 10.5.

CRC should definitely look at what you are doing when it comes time to update the Gen X10.

BTW, there will be CRC white springs on the front and back of my 10R5.1 in a few days...going to try flipping the damper tubes too...lol!

Question, when you say max timing what is that numerically? My D3.5's top out around 28deg. what rotor are you running...the Maxzilla 12.5mm Hi Torque?
Glad Henry is doing well with the set up!
To me it feels pretty close to my 1/12

With my D3.5 13.5t I get just past 22* of timing.
I run the same gearing at all the tracks I've been to, 44-88
And with all the different tire diameters..lol.. from 2.10" to 2.02"

The only thing I change is motor timing.
Typically at 22* I run smaller tires (2.02" - 2.04").

I also use the stock rotor

Motor temps range from 135*F to 165*F, depending on how much traction and how aggressive I drive

Last edited by sg1; 01-24-2013 at 12:47 PM.
sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #3108
Tech Champion

Have you tried the big rotor? All the fast guys at my track have switched to it.

I am chasing some speed but i think its my setup. May car has a ton of steering and is stuck but I think I am scrubbing speed in the corners.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #3109
sg1
Tech Elite

Quote:
Have you tried the big rotor? All the fast guys at my track have switched to it.

I am chasing some speed but i think its my setup. May car has a ton of steering and is stuck but I think I am scrubbing speed in the corners.
I was slower with the HT rotor.
I have run the High RPM on very low bite tracks.

How wide is the rear track width?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #3110
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
He is not 100% consistent ..... funky lines
Adrian's nice way of saying I use ALL the track at times, but then again, I have to in order to get around him
HenryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #3111
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
Adrian's nice way of saying I use ALL the track at times, but then again, I have to in order to get around him
Hey, I am not 100% consistent lap after lap either, we are all working on that. If you were you would be untouchable. The car/motor package you have is ballistic!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #3112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm working on a project and need the dimensions of the diff rings CRC uses in their stuff. I need

OD -

ID (circle) -

ID ("D" maximum measurement ie bottom of arc to flat line) -
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #3113
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
I was slower with the HT rotor.
I have run the High RPM on very low bite tracks.

How wide is the rear track width?
Cool, I have both rotors so ill give the purple 12.3 another shot.

My rear track is kit standard 199.5mm with BSR WGT tires.

Setup attached...except running EA 13.5 maxzilla, EA 6500 batts, 44/88 20deg , 2.08 tires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RC10R5.1 Setup 01-10-2013 sm.pdf (214.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #3114
sg1
Tech Elite

Quote:
Cool, I have both rotors so ill give the purple 12.3 another shot.

My rear track is kit standard 199.5mm with BSR WGT tires.

Setup attached...except running EA 13.5 maxzilla, EA 6500 batts, 44/88 20deg , 2.08 tires.
Just looking at the set up,
You run more camber and have a much tighter turning radius.
Also, how long are your upper a-arms?
Lastly, try narrowing the rear tires to get a narrower track (cut 1/16" per side off of the tire).
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #3115
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Just looking at the set up,
You run more camber and have a much tighter turning radius.
Also, how long are your upper a-arms?
Lastly, try narrowing the rear tires to get a narrower track (cut 1/16" per side off of the tire).
I have always set the camber for tire wear. Both fronts wear dead flat.

Interesting...I didn't think the turning radius was tight. What should it be? This might be where I am scrubbing speed. I think my car has good steering. Steering is actually better on power than off power.

The upper arms are set up 2mm longer than the stock AE R5 front end which starts out quite a bit longer than the stock CRC front end out of the box. I'll measure it tonight.

I really like how the front end feels when using rear side springs as front springs. The front end is softer and more free moving with CRC white rear side springs than with .018" AE Front springs.

Back when WGT was starting I ran BMI cars. Jason and I used Wind Tunnel oval front springs on our cars and really liked how the car felt with the big diameter soft front springs. Jason actually had big soft front springs made for his cars in .020" to .024" since they worked so well on the WGT. The .020's feel softer than .018 AE springs. The .024's feel about like AE .020's.

BMI Linear .020" Front springs: http://www.bmiracing.com/webstore/ca...roducts_id=179

They are pre compressed so they won't collapse like AE springs...they last forever.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #3116
sg1
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have always set the camber for tire wear. Both fronts wear dead flat.

Interesting...I didn't think the turning radius was tight. What should it be? This might be where I am scrubbing speed. I think my car has good steering. Steering is actually better on power than off power.

The upper arms are set up 2mm longer than the stock AE R5 front end which starts out quite a bit longer than the stock CRC front end out of the box. I'll measure it tonight.

I really like how the front end feels when using rear side springs as front springs. The front end is softer and more free moving with CRC white rear side springs than with .018" AE Front springs.

Back when WGT was starting I ran BMI cars. Jason and I used Wind Tunnel oval front springs on our cars and really liked how the car felt with the big diameter soft front springs. Jason actually had big soft front springs made for his cars in .020" to .024" since they worked so well on the WGT. The .020's feel softer than .018 AE springs. The .024's feel about like AE .020's.

BMI Linear .020" Front springs: http://www.bmiracing.com/webstore/ca...roducts_id=179

They are pre compressed so they won't collapse like AE springs...they last forever.
I never really used the camber setting as you do.
I skim my tires each run and run 1* to 1.5* camber depending on traction.
My tires would wear uneven if I didn't keep skimming them.
At 2* camber I'd have way too much stearing.

My turning radius is approx. 5' or more.
The chassis rolls alot in the turns and has corner speed from that.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #3117
Tech Champion

Wayne - I really appreciate the guidance. I will try what you have suggested over the next few race days.

Have you tried a 1/12th setup similar to your WGT setup?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #3118
Tech Addict

Default crc wgt

Sg1 i running you setup on my wgt what was the exact length of your tube stand offs and the wing stand offs .i also am running the duo 3.5 maxzillia 88/43 i cut my tires 53mm after a 6min run my engine temp is around 114 degrees i am not running that hard because i'am not that consistent around the track my timing is only at 5* but most of the guys at my local track are trying to match my speed my only problem is my skills.
bigtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #3119
sg1
Tech Elite

Quote:
Wayne - I really appreciate the guidance. I will try what you have suggested over the next few race days.

Have you tried a 1/12th setup similar to your WGT setup?
Not a problem!

On my Xti car I have raised the tubes on the outside to make them closer to level and lowered the dampening.
The front end is stock, no changes to that.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #3120
sg1
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
Sg1 i running you setup on my wgt what was the exact length of your tube stand offs and the wing stand offs .i also am running the duo 3.5 maxzillia 88/43 i cut my tires 53mm after a 6min run my engine temp is around 114 degrees i am not running that hard because i'am not that consistent around the track my timing is only at 5* but most of the guys at my local track are trying to match my speed my only problem is my skills.
The standoffs on the chassis are 5/8" tall plus I added 1 #4 washer that was .03" thick.
Some guys have had to add 2 washers because the springs were slightly longer and were preloaded.
For the standoffs where the outer dampening tube mounts to, that's 1/2" tall.
The tubes should sit level.

Your rollout seems pretty close, just need a bit more motor timing.
Once you get the car handeling and driving down it's time to add timing

Good luck racing!