R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2971
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
they had noticeable more grip on the car. I was running 55mm front and back. The CRC tires that I put on were smaller at 52mm. The Jaco's weren't wearing more that I could tell, but just feeling them they were more grippy to the touch than the CRC tires and on the car had way to much steering making the car very unbalanced and unpredictable.
The smaller tires will have less grip due to the smaller contact patch.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #2972
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbud View Post
The smaller tires will have less grip due to the smaller contact patch.
contact patch deals more with the width of the tires. (they are the same width) some very slight change in contact patch with diameter change.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #2973
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
contact patch deals more with the width of the tires. (they are the same width) some very slight change in contact patch with diameter change.
Why are tires cut down to prevent traction roll?
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #2974
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Anyone Running the Jaco World GT tires on the white rims? I bought a set and when running them it seems like the fronts are way soft compared to the crc tires. I dialed out alot of steering on my radio endpoints but it was still way to much causing a very bad oversteer issue.

I changed out to the CRC fronts and had to dial the steering way back up but at least it was drivable. with the Jaco's on the front it really wasn't.

Should there be that much difference in the "shore" of the tires when they are both "World GT spec" full sauced crc tires was less grip than a no sauce jaco.
The foam can vary from production run to production run. Lilac/Team Purple/WGT Spec Foam can be from 36-43 shore depending on the source. If your CRC wheels were toward the high range and the Jacos were towards the low range this would explain some of what you were experiencing.

The Jaco rim is more flexible than the BSR rim CRC uses. This might also increase traction.

The Jaco wheels are also lighter so weigh your car if you are right on the minimum weight with BSR/CRC wheels and you change to Jaco.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #2975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbud View Post
Why are tires cut down to prevent traction roll?

less side wall= less roll
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #2976
Tech Regular

I guess I'll cut them down to 52mm and see if they are better. I'll order a new set of bsr tires as well, just in case.

Running the two cell I'm far from being under weight. I'm going to move the lipo towards the back more and see if that helps me out as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #2977
Tech Fanatic

I've got an older chassis... the bottom load battery style. Does anyone know of someone that makes a carbon fiber filler to replace the plastic trays? I like the battery mounting from the bottom, but the newer 1 cells are wider and don't fit in the trays.
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #2978
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The foam can vary from production run to production run. Lilac/Team Purple/WGT Spec Foam can be from 36-43 shore depending on the source. If your CRC wheels were toward the high range and the Jacos were towards the low range this would explain some of what you were experiencing.

The Jaco rim is more flexible than the BSR rim CRC uses. This might also increase traction.

The Jaco wheels are also lighter so weigh your car if you are right on the minimum weight with BSR/CRC wheels and you change to Jaco.
I'm not sure about the new white wheel, but if it's like the old carbon print wheel , it has a smaller diameter than the BSR's. This gives you more sidewall, for the same size tire. In the past when running Jaco's I ran them quite a bit smaller than the CRC/BSR to maintain the same aspect ratio.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #2979
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I'm not sure about the new white wheel, but if it's like the old carbon print wheel , it has a smaller diameter than the BSR's. This gives you more sidewall, for the same size tire. In the past when running Jaco's I ran them quite a bit smaller than the CRC/BSR to maintain the same aspect ratio.
I believe Jaco wheels also have a different off-set
Been running them so long, don't remember for sure ?

So going back and forth between the two brands can be problematic in a number of ways

For sure 55mm is huge for Jaco on a med to high grip track

I start them at 52.5mm

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2980
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Yeah, I think BSR's are 2" rims and Jaco's are 1.9"...haven't measured in a while.

If you are running BSR's at 2.06" they are sweet. Jaco's at 2.06" will have you flipping off the track. That might be the problem.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #2981
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
I believe Jaco wheels also have a different off-set
Been running them so long, don't remember for sure ?

So going back and forth between the two brands can be problematic in a number of ways

For sure 55mm is huge for Jaco on a med to high grip track

I start them at 52.5mm
Thanks for the info, I'll true them down to 52.5mm to start and see how they work from there. I wanted to go with them because they are cheaper and I need to save what I can.

I purchased a 2 pairs of fronts and backs, I also have the crc tires come so I guess I'll be playing around with the first set see if I can get them to work for me.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #2982
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
I've got an older chassis... the bottom load battery style. Does anyone know of someone that makes a carbon fiber filler to replace the plastic trays? I like the battery mounting from the bottom, but the newer 1 cells are wider and don't fit in the trays.
Manutech has an aluminum tray.
p/n: 151-104
Looks nice but might get tweaked.
If there is enough demand, I'll make some from CF.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #2983
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
I took my soldering iron to the sides and was able to take enough off each side to make my 1s lipos fit. Just take a little off each time (and remember to clean your tip!) and you should be fine.

If one were to come out in CF that would fit the 1s lipos I'd order at least 1 in a heartbeat.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #2984
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Here's the deal guys,
If I can get 10 orders for these CF battery trays @ $20 each + shipping I will machine these ASAP. I mainly just need to cover the material costs.
They will be 2.5mm thick and are designed to accommodate the Associated Battery Index blocks PN-4610. this will give you 6 different mounting positions from front to rear.
Attached Thumbnails
CRC 1/10 Pan Car-battery-tray.jpg   CRC 1/10 Pan Car-battery-tray-assembly-trans-battery.jpg  
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #2985
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Anyone Running the Jaco World GT tires on the white rims? I bought a set and when running them it seems like the fronts are way soft compared to the crc tires. I dialed out alot of steering on my radio endpoints but it was still way to much causing a very bad oversteer issue.

I changed out to the CRC fronts and had to dial the steering way back up but at least it was drivable. with the Jaco's on the front it really wasn't.

Should there be that much difference in the "shore" of the tires when they are both "World GT spec" full sauced crc tires was less grip than a no sauce jaco.
Jaco vs CRC/BSR WGT wheel specs

CRC
Rear
12.2mm off-set
49mm dia
51.5 width

Front
10.5mm off-set
49mm dia
29mm width

Jaco
Rear
12.6mm off-set
48mm dia
50.5mm width

Front
10.6mm off-set
48mm dia
28mm width

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote