R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by el salvador View Post
Uh,.......put my car (w/10.5 +boosted ESC) on the track !

"Me Thinks you HERD wrong Cowboy"

Catch me if ya can !

You gonna make it up here in 2 weeks ?
new job... big bills... not looking good
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2747
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i am installing 1/12 king pin for my gen x LE and have some problems.
i try to use brian wynn's setup.
it said .404 1/12 king pin length
i find only few threads of the kingpin goes in the knuckle if i leave .404" (from bottom of kunckle to e clip slot)
please help
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #2748
Suspended

also does the rebound of the center shock matters?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #2749
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Chassis

My LE chassis will be here tomorrow. Our track is a medium grip track...as I said in earlier post, looking for good steering coming off the corners. Which set of holes for chassis length should I mount the A arms that would be best for steering....short, middle or long???
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #2750
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlealex View Post
i find only few threads of the kingpin goes in the knuckle if i leave .404" (from bottom of kunckle to e clip slot)
please help
Per Dumper, I measure from the knuckle (directly under the stub axle to be consistent) to the bottom side of the e-clip slot in the king pin.

This should get the king pin in another turn if you are measuring to the top of the slot.

Bill
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #2751
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
also does the rebound of the center shock matters?
It is something to play with. Try both minimum/moderate/maximum rebounds to determine what fits your track situation best.

Bill
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #2752
Suspended

thanks bill. you are always helpful.
are you one of the crc team driver?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #2753
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperdrive1 View Post
My LE chassis will be here tomorrow. Our track is a medium grip track...as I said in earlier post, looking for good steering coming off the corners. Which set of holes for chassis length should I mount the A arms that would be best for steering....short, middle or long???
I always run long wheelbase. My making the wheelbase long, you are moving the weight closer to the center pivot which gives you more steering.
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #2754
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
thanks bill. you are always helpful.
are you one of the crc team driver?
Yes Still Bill runs for us. Bill is a smart guy and we are glad to have him on the team!
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #2755
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
please help
Measure from where kingpin enters the steering block to the bottom of the e clip groove. You should be able to run as long as .420ish and still secure the kingpin.

Basically the spring will have just a little preload on it. I have been running .407 on the new steering blocks witht he 1/8' axles. The whole point of the number and measuring it is to make sure that they are even side to side. What I see alot when people bring their car to me at a race saying that the car hooks one way, is one kingpin is long. Assuming that the camber is fairly even side to side, the next thing I check is the kingpin length. 9 out of 10 times they will be two different lengths.

And please, please, please after you set your camber, look at it. I can not tell you how many people have problems setting camber. They pull out their over priced Hudy setup stations, strap on all those crazy attachments, set their camber, and then they are not the same. One tire will have like 17 degrees of camber and the other will be right. After you are done "setting" your camber, pick up the car, hold it in front of your face, open your eyes. look at it, and decide "do both of my tires look like they have the same amount of camber?" If you use one of those "setup" station thingees, you will be surprised how often it comes out wrong.

Sorry for the rant, but I want everyone to do better. And wasting over $100 on something that can screw the car up more than help it irritates me. We all carry alot of tools in our tool boxes, but usually your eyes are the best ones.

dumper

Brian Wynn

Team CRC
Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #2756
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just do like dumper, Use the force!
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #2757
Tech Fanatic

Using the ways of the force is in the Dumper's Speed Shop advanced classes.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #2758
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you Dumper for the input. Getting my new chassis today...super excited!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #2759
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
Measure from where kingpin enters the steering block to the bottom of the e clip groove. You should be able to run as long as .420ish and still secure the kingpin.

Basically the spring will have just a little preload on it. I have been running .407 on the new steering blocks witht he 1/8' axles. The whole point of the number and measuring it is to make sure that they are even side to side. What I see alot when people bring their car to me at a race saying that the car hooks one way, is one kingpin is long. Assuming that the camber is fairly even side to side, the next thing I check is the kingpin length. 9 out of 10 times they will be two different lengths.

And please, please, please after you set your camber, look at it. I can not tell you how many people have problems setting camber. They pull out their over priced Hudy setup stations, strap on all those crazy attachments, set their camber, and then they are not the same. One tire will have like 17 degrees of camber and the other will be right. After you are done "setting" your camber, pick up the car, hold it in front of your face, open your eyes. look at it, and decide "do both of my tires look like they have the same amount of camber?" If you use one of those "setup" station thingees, you will be surprised how often it comes out wrong.

Sorry for the rant, but I want everyone to do better. And wasting over $100 on something that can screw the car up more than help it irritates me. We all carry alot of tools in our tool boxes, but usually your eyes are the best ones.

dumper

Brian Wynn

Team CRC
Brian, I spent the money and bought the Team CRC camber gauges, and I think this is the best and most economical way to set camber. You just have to make sure the surface you're using is flat. It's the best tool for the money IMO.

Ken
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #2760
Tech Elite

yes, to a point..... depending on your glue man. someone like dumper, who has the best glue man in the business has less issues with camber gauges than guys who put layer upon layer of glue on the sidewalls, then glue the chunks back in. i too fell prey to the setup station voodoo, and found myself getting yelled at more often than not.

the force is very powerful, and should be taken very seriously.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote