Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How Will a Bad Economy Impact the RC Business??? >

How Will a Bad Economy Impact the RC Business???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Will a Bad Economy Impact the RC Business???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Tour car`s cost too much ?

Yet , 1/8th buggy`s that cost twice as much as a touring car, are flying out the door`s ?

Its not the cost of the ride , its whether its worth the costs ....
Yes, you are correct.

When TC's were under $300, they sold like crazy. Now with most cars costing nearly $400 and some more than that sales are suffering.

When you add up everything you need I'm sure a 1/8 off road comes out less than a TC.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

“It is not the strongest species
that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most
responsive to change.”

Darwin

http://www.iveybusinessjournal.com/v...Article_ID=317
Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fastforward
“It is not the strongest species
that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most
responsive to change.”

Darwin

http://www.iveybusinessjournal.com/v...Article_ID=317
Ya know I forgot about the Mini class.

And the change is the same. Nothing has changed as in off road. There even opening another in Topeka. We have like 8 dirt tracks counting oval. Racing is huge in some markets.

Edit: Also one opening the end of summer In Lees Summit.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Onroad sales are always much less than offroad sales. Offroad attracts more than just racers. Onroad is strictly more of a racing suited area of the hobby. Onroad cars are extremely boring to run in front of your house. You cant run them in the grass or through puddles,strictly straight lines up and down the road. Offroad cars do and will always sell better than onroad cars.

TC sales are down right now strictly because of the price. That is a HUGE nut to pay for a car unless you strictly race. TC cars are now selling for $500 for a roller then comes the electronics. Before you know it, your in the thousands to play. That is more money than people want to spend to see if they will like it. You can pick up a RTR RD Logics Sho for $300. This is alot easier to swallow if you decide the hobby isnt for you. TC's sold alot better in the days of the TC3 due to the price. Even Xray cars were under $300 back then. This is why you are starting to see the 1/12th class grow. The price is 1/2 and the cars handle excellent. People are looking for cheaper ways to do what they love. TC is not that route.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs down

If you check most LHS's you will see that they did NOT grow in 2007 as much as anticipated, also it is expected that 2008 will also be 'flat' in growth, hopefully what increases in business in the past yrs will hold them [LHS] over till a growth year comes around,

Gas prices, & vehicle costs, have scared many away. Smaller less costly RC cars have been somewhat of a 'boom' to many LHS's as consumers have less 'free' $$ available to spend on hobbies.

Those LHS's with cash to spend on 'diversifying' into plane/train/plastics areas will try to attract consumers willing to spend what little cash they have left over after filling Mom's Caravan up with 87 octane!

Those 'die hard' [read touring car] racers will back off the larger purchases and try to get an extra yr or so out of their 'PHI', as will the more expensive off road car owners. As the extra cash is going in the gas tanks of their work cars.

With oil at or near $100 barrel costs of consumables [fuel, paint, etc] also will rise, thus less racing time per buck = less 'pleasure' per buck.

Long post I know, but a lot more will be said, only the future will tell if any of us were even close.

Thankx, Bill
Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

I have seen many people drop the money on an entry level 5th scale just because the price of fuel (even with gas at $3+ a gallon) is significantly cheaper than running Nitro or electric.... Yea, they are going to spend 800-1500 and tires are a lot more but at the end of the year you are spending much less than 8th and 10th scale.... Especially 8th scale...

Our declining dollar is making the biggest impact IMO... All of our stuff is made in Europe or Asia and our dollar sucks compared to the Euro and Pound...
Old 01-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Ya know I forgot about the Mini class.

And the change is the same. Nothing has changed as in off road. There even opening another in Topeka. We have like 8 dirt tracks counting oval. Racing is huge in some markets.

Edit: Also one opening the end of summer In Lees Summit.
Yee haw, let me get mah dirt car!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I have seen many people drop the money on an entry level 5th scale just because the price of fuel (even with gas at $3+ a gallon) is significantly cheaper than running Nitro or electric.... Yea, they are going to spend 800-1500 and tires are a lot more but at the end of the year you are spending much less than 8th and 10th scale.... Especially 8th scale...

Our declining dollar is making the biggest impact IMO... All of our stuff is made in Europe or Asia and our dollar sucks compared to the Euro and Pound...
A local off road track is getting a class of HPI 5th scale buggies together. ANd it appears theres about 6 ready to go. Gas is the big deal of the topic. Parts??? We'll see. its said they just don't break that much. Sounds like the cheapest class to run really. and can be started for a round 600.00 RTR.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Yee haw, let me get mah dirt car!
You run dirt. Hell freeze over or something.? Although off road and on road are a breed apart theres a lot of racing going on in the dirt.
The classes are not diluted around here its the tracks. We will have 10 places to race dirt with in a 1 hour drive by 2009. Good for the racers, but bad for the tracks.
It will be a battle to draw a crowd and each facility will have to bring there A-Game. Good for the racer. I would say thats making the RC economy look good as as far the off road venue.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
It is a presidential election year, and every 4 years it's the same old crap from the media, "depression is coming" just to push there own agenda.

Those that are caught in the housing repo's were in way over there heads or mostly were speck sellers and aren't the type of people involved with hobbies to begin with.

The economy is doing fine and RC racing will continue.

Hey, I'm helping, just bought a new B44
QFT!!!!

The economy isn't nearly as bad as many think. The problem is the media keeps pushing the story that the economy is in a poor state when many economists say it isn't. Granted growth has slowed but it is still growing.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Plus the tax return for this year... hehehe. It's a good news for most of us.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redbones
Plus the tax return for this year... hehehe. It's a good news for most of us.
Shame it doesn't work :-/
Old 01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Gas prices are having a big impact in the attendace of various tracks. People wont be as willing to drive 1hr+ to tracks if there's a smaller track 30 min away. Competition and track conditions may not be as good at the smaller track, but when it's 1/2 the distance to drive, it's worth it.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Gas prices are having a big impact in the attendace of various tracks. People wont be as willing to drive 1hr+ to tracks if there's a smaller track 30 min away. Competition and track conditions may not be as good at the smaller track, but when it's 1/2 the distance to drive, it's worth it.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
QFT!!!!

The economy isn't nearly as bad as many think. The problem is the media keeps pushing the story that the economy is in a poor state when many economists say it isn't. Granted growth has slowed but it is still growing.
Where did you get that...Fox News...lol!?!

I guess the fact my neighboor has had his house on the market for a 18 months and its still for sale, my bosses house is worth less today than what he bought it for last October, the 460 point dip in the Dow Jones last monday morning, the Fed's emergency drop in the lending rate at noon on monday, the huge trade deficit, new home sales are at a 30 year low, etc....are all figments of the liberal media's imigination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.