R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-29-2003, 07:29 PM   #151
Tech Initiate

Maybe you should contact Mike M., who is also an executive committee member of ROAR, if I am not mistaken, and see what he might suggest. It would be great to have a ROAR forum on R/C Tech if the pres or some other officer would be willing to spend the time as the host or 'fair witness'. I would love to see more ROAR members participate in the decision-making process to help improve our sanctioning organization.
John Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 07:32 PM   #152
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

If people would sit and bitch about ROAR we would bnever get done on that subject.

Mike D great job in stock touring and stock 12th scale. Can't wait to race with you and see if I can keep up!!!!!!!
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #153
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I agree with Shane, the interface at sgrid is just not user friendly. I know our region 4 director frequents this board. ROAR should frequent all boards ( at least the most popular ) as we are the racers.--> go where the racers are.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:47 PM   #154
Tech Apprentice
Default bodies

So what was the body of the week at the nats,IM sure losi dudes were using alpha's.What about everyone else 2.0's or alpha's from protoform?
TRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:51 PM   #155
Tech Regular

Dawn Sanchez has a ROAR dedicated forum on HobbyTalk.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:20 PM   #156
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What ever you do, don't use the Pistacio setup at sgrid, it is horrible. Use Abalone, it resembles this style. The reason ROAR is at sgrid is because they have been there for a long time. From my understanding ROAR is in the middle or about to begin a revamp of their setup, meaning their website will be the center. They should have to go hunting for what we think on other forums, they need to pull their head out of their you know what and get to speed on the web.
Avid Racing Concepts LLC.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #157
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to SkipGear

This is the offical answer on the use of qual points. I dug back and found it....so why was the new system used????

#41 of 58 by Mike Myers (mike) on Tue May 13 14:35:09 2003:

From respffroad5,142,756

Here is the ExCom decision on the Qual Points discussion...

This is for Level 4 Races as it has always been throughout this

For Off-Road Fuel the ExCom has decided to go back to the qualifying
system used last year.

For all electric racing (on-road, off-road, and oval) we will go back
to the systems used last year.

For 1:5 scale we will go back to the systems used last year.

For On-Road Fuel the new Single Round Qual Points system will take
effect. This is the system that was voted on and approved by the On-
Road Fuel Class Committee.

The class comittees now will have the task of submitting their
proposals for any changes to qualifying systems for level 4 races for
next year.

The system of developing rules through the class comittees will remain
in place. These committees are extremely important as you can see.
If anyone is interested in being involved in any class committee
please email me.

Rick Wilson - ROAR President roarprez@pandpusa.com
SkipGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:40 PM   #158
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I understand the need for Q-points at any track where the conditions change significantly from round to round, but they need to go away at the indoor carpet races. The track stays the same from round to round (insanely high bite to ludicrously high bite!) and the Q-points just screw people.

And yea, at some point when I take care of some of the other items on my R/C Tech to-do agenda, I will try getting in touch with ROAR to see if anybody ever wants to say anything official on here. Like any sanctioning organization, they face the prospect of never being able to make everybody happy, which is certainly true here. Still, I do think they are a little behind the times in comparison to others I have seen.

The focus shouldn't be on sanctioning more events; the focus should be on improving the existing ones.
Visit my store: www.ampdraw.com
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:31 AM   #159
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

I was personally fine with the qualifying system, as were many racers. With the way it worked, if you were fast on the first round when everyone else was sluggish then you could qualify very well, and then if you turn a fast lap later on in the weekend then you could break a tie for someone who had the same qual point as you did. So it wasnt exactly based on a rocket round.

I was talking to alot of guys and basically it came down to you qualified where you deserved to be, no one really got screwed too badly.

As far as the track and everything, Don is the single best race director i have ever seen, he was out there every single day all week working day and night to make sure everything went smoothly. Tech was pathetic the first day of quals, i dont think they checked anything more than your car weight (which is 12th scale they converted from oz to g wrong so it was 711g and everyone's cars were in the 800's, my car was 830ish, and it was only an oz or two over at the carpet nats and i didnt change much, so i am pretty sure they meant to say 811 or something like that, however when don contacted ROAR they didnt do anything, and the ROAR guy who showed up on the second day of quals didnt know anything about it, or care to do anything about it).

the track was a little large, and the driver stand a little low, however everyone had to deal with the same situation.

All in all the nats went pretty smoothly, and congrats to all of the winners.

BTW... AE had a cool new air duct/scoop thingie that scooped up air from the side of the chassis and brought it to the motor, that all of their factory drivers where trying out in practice, some of them took them off after a day or two, however i heard that they should make their way into production.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:48 AM   #160
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Congrats to all the new National Champs for this year!
Steve Weiss
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:03 AM   #161
Tech Elite

Ahhhhhh, what would a ROAR national like be without the complete and utter mismanagement of information by ROAR. The last National I attended was the '96 Carpet Nats, and I'll probably never race in another one. They consistently tarnish the image of the term ROAR NATIONAL CHAMPION.

I've been racing a long time, and I guess I just look back through the proverbial Rose Colored Glasses. I remember when everybody got 4 shots at getting a good run and if you did, great! If you didn't, better luck next year. Then one race settles the National Championship.

I understand, that maybe, a rocket round situation exists in OFF-ROAD. But, On-Road tracks are relatively consistent over the course of one weekend. Triple A-mains are bad enough, do we have to deal with needlessly complicated qualifying rules as well?
Team CRC, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 AM   #162
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Cypress-I hear ya!!! I am positive ROAR is trying to do a great job, especially at the National level. I am also sure they would love to send a technical commitee to every National Championship event with tools, guages, etc!!! You know a crew of say three men or women who would be at the STock and Mod offorad champs, the carpet and on-road Nats, all the Oval events and then maybe another group that would do all the Gas races. I bet they just cannot afford to and cannot find anybody with that easy of a work schedule to pull it off

Sure its a dream-but thats how it should be. Again I revert to Kart racing, but at all of the WKA Enduro National Points Races you get the same Flagman and the same Tech guys from race to race, from New Hampshire to Daytona!!! Sure the track/club provides some if not a lot of the equipment and some technical personal, but theres a core group always there for consistency.

Last edited by rayhuang; 06-30-2003 at 09:27 AM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #163
Tech Elite

rayhuang: I know they try, but their consistency, both in the construction AND subsequent enforcement of THEIR rules is what I find so upsetting. I realize they're a bunch of volunteers and have limited resources to work with, but if you publish a rulebook USE it. It's not a huge problem to find volunteers to run tech, and if the rules are consistent, it's not even difficult for the tech staff. If there are tech issues that arise, there SHOULD BE a ROAR official on hand to address said issues, on BOTH days of Qualifying as well as the Mains. If I were to attend a Roar National this Summer, I wouldn't even know what qualifying format would be used untill I got there, because I guess it's subject to change on an event by event basis. I just feel bad for the track owners and race directors, who end up getting grief because of ROAR's inconsistencies.

This is not meant to be ROAR bashing. It's just sort of a "Tough Love" way of asking ROAR to get it together.
Team CRC, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 07-01-2003 at 06:02 AM.
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:05 AM   #164
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default THE NATS !....my $.02

Thank you Don Hill, family & friends for putting on such an event, I have never hosted a National level event so I cannot possibly know what it entails to do so. It was a good time

I met a bunch of cool people there, too many names to remember or list.

10th Stock was soooo competitive, had a little bad luck at the start but things got going good, just not quite enough spunk for the top ten, oh well. Thanks to Brad for the MVP tips, couldn't have run a 13 lapper before that

Its not fair that someone can have so much skill both on the Mic & with a Radio...Scotty way to go

That track was AWESOME, High Speed, Technical with a price to be paid for mistakes, truly a National caliber course.

Like to also thank Team FuKu Batteries for the assist, and Toso for the loaners. Here's a little advice for anyone looking to enter an event of this magnitude in the future, show up with the best paks you can find, it makes all the difference.

As far as ROAR, Rules, Tech and all that, yeah it was pretty lax on the first day of Qual, I hope no one took advantage of that, I saw some people using stools on the drivers stand that shouldn't have, Don very clearly outlined that they were only there for the altitude challenged shall we say. Big advantage on this track too.

On the whole I'd say its alot more fun than running at SoCal

Congrats to all who met or exceeded their expectations, see you all next year...

Now its Brushless Time
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #165
Tech Elite

Dave, I'm glad to hear you still had a great time despite controversial circumstances. I'll see ya at Socal.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote