Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
IB cells are a racers worst nightmare... >

IB cells are a racers worst nightmare...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB cells are a racers worst nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default IB cells are a racers worst nightmare...

Oh, my, god....
The 4200 pack that you gave me had a bad incident. I hooked it up to my charger and let it charge. Well, I noticed it didn't charge to it's full capacity, so I threw it on for a top-off charge. It started hissing really bad so I turned off the charger, and it still wouldn't stop hissing. I got scared and threw a pot over top of the pack. About a minute later, all six cells explode. The pot is completly useless. It was so deformed by the explosion. Never had a battery do stuff like that before. I think they were IB cell, which I've never had any luck with later. My hands are still shaking from it. Has this ever happened to any of you?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No problems here, I run Lipos.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Sorry to hear this. Single IB cells blowing has been a bit of a problem. In this case it sounds like a bit of user error by overcharging it (the top off charge). Im glad no one was hurt. Six cells going could have caused a big mess.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

It's funny, I hear all these stories of exploding IB4200's and I haven't had a problem with mine at all. I only have one pack of IB42's but it takles a charge between 4400-4500 everytime. It's a year old so I'm surpirsed it's doing so well. I'm keeping my eye on it though (from a safe distance)
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FOXY923
It's funny, I hear all these stories of exploding IB4200's and I haven't had a problem with mine at all. I only have one pack of IB42's but it takles a charge between 4400-4500 everytime. It's a year old so I'm surpirsed it's doing so well. I'm keeping my eye on it though (from a safe distance)
If its a year old that might be why you are having luck. I think it was a relatively recent batch of IB cells that were causing problems. I think they have since address the issue based on what Ive read. Might be too little too late. Sounds like a lot of people will be moving to lipo with the recent rule changes.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

guess I'm lucky
all my batts are 'handme downs'
LOL!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Had it happen once, but also had some very good results using IB cells
Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Sorry to hear this. Single IB cells blowing has been a bit of a problem. In this case it sounds like a bit of user error by overcharging it (the top off charge). Im glad no one was hurt. Six cells going could have caused a big mess.
what he said...

I've only ever had one issue with IB42's, and that was purely my fault as the pack deadshorted on the way to the track. Didn't explode, just expanded a large amount, so I threw the pack outside in some wet grass. Otherwise, no issues with my IB packs at all (but I make sure I look after them).

Ed
Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
Oh, my, god....
The 4200 pack that you gave me had a bad incident. I hooked it up to my charger and let it charge. Well, I noticed it didn't charge to it's full capacity, so I threw it on for a top-off charge. It started hissing really bad so I turned off the charger, and it still wouldn't stop hissing. I got scared and threw a pot over top of the pack. About a minute later, all six cells explode. The pot is completly useless. It was so deformed by the explosion. Never had a battery do stuff like that before. I think they were IB cell, which I've never had any luck with later. My hands are still shaking from it. Has this ever happened to any of you?
Any battery cell can explode... Sounds like your cells self discharged to 0v and then you tried to recharge them... How old was the pack?

Fortunately, the new IB4600s are extremely stable and don't suffer from the same stability problems as the IB4200s.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

so the new 4600 are doing alright? when you discharge a pack, shouldnt it go to 0v? im sorry, but im just starting to learn about electric, and i never thought that the ni-mh batteries could be as dangerous as lipos.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Exploding IB4200 cells are quite common, but all six are not. Got a pic of it?
As someone else said, it sounds like a user error when it's all six of them.

When buying new batts, be sure to measure them with a voltmeter to check for dead cells. Dead cells and charging = boom.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Never take your NiMh down to 0v. 0.9v/cell is what you should discharge to. This is what I go by anyway. And always leave a bit of a charge in them. If stored for more than a week they shoudl be fully charged. Please correct me if I'm wrong or add to this.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
so the new 4600 are doing alright? when you discharge a pack, shouldnt it go to 0v? im sorry, but im just starting to learn about electric, and i never thought that the ni-mh batteries could be as dangerous as lipos.
Yea, IB4600s are much better, I've heard no reports from any of my customers of exploding cells or any other issues like that...

When a ni-mh cell goes 0v it destroys the cell. This type of cell should always be stored with a sitting voltage of 1.2v+ per cell.

Also, if a cell sits 0v for a prolonged period of time, best advise is to put about 1000mah-1500mah into it and then let it sit for a day or so. This allows times for the chemical reaction inside the cell to start to occur again. If you attempt to charge a 0v cell full capacity it will likely lead to venting or possibly explosion of the cell.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

and how many cycles are Ni-Mh good for? say i take the car off the track, should i discharge it to the 1.2v, and then charge it, or can i peak it, for the next heat?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
and how many cycles are Ni-Mh good for? say i take the car off the track, should i discharge it to the 1.2v, and then charge it, or can i peak it, for the next heat?
Honestly you should just get a lipo pack at this point. Much less complicated and now legal for ROAR (so most clubs will allow them as well).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.