Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YOKE SD or TAMIYA SURIKAN ED. ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default YOKE SD or TAMIYA SURIKAN ED. ????

Let me know what you guys think? I'm getting ready to buy a new car......Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

I would get the, both, j/k ronnie, yeah everyone please post your opinions on here, so we know what to get.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Two very nice shaft drive cars there, choice is difficult, the Evo 3 is more expensive but has lots of nice hopups already.
I think I'd have to go with a BARRACUDA R2
but my second choice would be Evo 3 Surikan
Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'd go for the Tamiya EVO 3 myself, thinking of getting one myself. Nice thing about Tamiya kits are their ease of build, top quality parts, and actually will hold their value or even go up if you manage to hold on to it for some time.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:49 PM

If you getting SEvo3, just make sure you change the gear box. If not, don't get it. For SD, I haven't heard any problems, but I would go for black version SD. Its stronger and lighter than SSG version. One thing to consider, Tamiya parts and hopups are very expensive. Yokomo is much cheaper. You can also consider Alex Racing Barracuda R2.

Last edited by Aku-Man; 06-20-2003 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Aku-Man
If you getting SEvo3, just make sure you change the gear box. If not, don't get it. For SD, I haven't heard any problems, but I would go for black version SD. Its stronger and lighter than SSG version. One thing to consider, Tamiya parts and hopups are very expensive. Yokomo is much cheaper.
I don't understand where your coming from "change the gearbox" there is nothing wrong with the Evo3 or Surikarn Ed gear boxes that I've seen nor has anybody seen in the dozen or two that I typically run with.

The Evo3 is a very very good car. The yokomo's I've seen have a tendancy to break quite a bit.

To finish first, first you must finish.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:16 PM

I don't understand where your coming from "change the gearbox" there is nothing wrong with the Evo3 or Surikarn Ed gear boxes that I've seen nor has anybody seen in the dozen or two that I typically run with. The Evo3 is a very very good car. The yokomo's I've seen have a tendancy to break quite a bit.
I heard many complains about the gear stripping problem. The gear box is too soft that tweak under high speed and make the gear strip. I think this happen on motor like 8T. I don't like Evo3, but I like Sevo3.

Every cars break, if you hit things right.

Last edited by Aku-Man; 06-20-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

I will never get another TAMIYA they dont stand behind there product Get a yok
Old 06-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Yok will strip 1-way gears just the same as the Tamiya. The box mat'l is the same for both plastic if you hit a board at mach 5 both will break. If you dot launch at full throttle Stock or Mod the same will happen.

Aku how many boxes have you gone through on your car? Do you actually have one???

I have replaced mine 1 time at both ends just to freshen up the car for Reedy I have had my EVO since DEC as I had 1 of the first from R-10.

The main thing to do with both cars is make sure the diff (1-way or other) is shimmed correctly on my EVO I use a .3 shim or the left side to push the diff closer to the crown gear. I have not wasted a gear since I also do he same with the rear diff.

PICCO
to answer your original question buy the car that is supported at your local racing area if that is Tamiya go for it if it is Yok but it if it is Barracuda buy that. Then this is the key part here DRIVE THE HECK OUT OF IT. I guarantee you will be happy
Old 06-20-2003, 07:23 PM

Aku how many boxes have you gone through on your car? Do you actually have one???
I don't have Evo3. I just see many people complaining, but I once pre-order the Surikarn Evo3. I cancel it because Tamiya didn't improve the gear box. That is not big deal. Square makes awesome alum. gear box for it to fixed the problem. I'm considering to order Surikarn Evo3 again with Square surikarn red gear box, but don't have money right now. I put money on TC3 hopups and I want to try the Titanium chassis.
PICCO
to answer your original question buy the car that is supported at your local racing area if that is Tamiya go for it if it is Yok but it if it is Barracuda buy that. Then this is the key part here DRIVE THE HECK OUT OF IT. I guarantee you will be happy

Last edited by Aku-Man; 06-20-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Thanks everyone.....

Neither of the cars are supported at our track at this time. The hobby shop stocks tc3 and hpi and xray parts. I have an xray at this time but looking for a change back to a shaft drive car. I like the yoke because I used to have a mr4 tc, but now wondering if a tamiya kit would be neat to have. I will let you guys know what happens.....

If anyone has anymore suggestions please bring them to this thread..........
Old 06-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

ronnie, you got the money, get the tamiya