Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C High Performance 4000mAh - 5000mAh Hardcase Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i hope they come out fast because u need ll the C u can get so that way u can get out of my way
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Not if I get my hands on these puppies, first!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The casing molds are undergoing some slight changes and if there is no complications they will be available by the end of February.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
The casing molds are undergoing some slight changes and if there is no complications they will be available by the end of February.
OK where are they going to be sold at i see u have some batterys on tower also whats the street price going to be for the 5000
Old 01-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Company Representative

The major distributors carry our line so any local track or shop will be able to get them. If you want to buy online my guess would be Stormer Hobbies would be the first to get them as they always order our new products before they are available.

As far as street price we hope to offer them at the same price as our current 22C/5000 pack.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does this mean it wont be totally sealed versus taped to allow the cell to expand if something does go wrong?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Company Representative

I'm not sure what your getting at. Our case will be like the picture posted in my first post on page one. It will glued together as we need to make sure it holds up to the ROAR drop test.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

We will look into this but I don't think we can offer a cheaper pack than Orion as the materials used in our packs are very expensive.
Hi Danny, If SMC have a better pack then orion I don't mind the slightly higher pricing though.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Tech Champion

I'm not sure what your getting at. Our case will be like the picture posted in my first post on page one. It will glued together as we need to make sure it holds up to the ROAR drop test.
Purposely overcharge and/or short circuit one while recording with a video camera (Camera behind some plexiglass of course). So we can see how when the lipo starts puffing up, and is blocked by the case, will it make the resulting fire more dangerous when it finally builds enough pressure to break the glue (small backdraft)?

It would be a interesting result in either case, and if it doesn't create much more damage than normal, then you should be A-ok, but otherwise it might show an area that needs to be resolved while the cases are being redesigned. Allowing us to see the results via youtube or the like will help with keeping good communication with your customer base.

The idea behind taped cases as the other companies will tell you is to allow a pack that is expanding to pop open relieving the pressure and giving a visual cue that something is seriously wrong. Its also partially why before this hard case ROAR debate/point, lipos were only heatshrunk.

Consider this also, tape will allow some flex (depending on type). Which means for the ROAR drop, and subsequent pit drop by users, it could help absorb some of the impact. Versus a glued hard case with no stress/relief points.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Hi Danny, If SMC have a better pack then orion I don't mind the slightly higher pricing though.

Our current 22C/5000 pack already outperforms the Orion 4800 pack and is priced slightly lower. The extra voltage and lower IR of our new packs while being at the same or similar price should be welcomed by most.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Purposely overcharge and/or short circuit one while recording with a video camera (Camera behind some plexiglass of course). So we can see how when the lipo starts puffing up, and is blocked by the case, will it make the resulting fire more dangerous when it finally builds enough pressure to break the glue (small backdraft)?

It would be a interesting result in either case, and if it doesn't create much more damage than normal, then you should be A-ok, but otherwise it might show an area that needs to be resolved while the cases are being redesigned. Allowing us to see the results via youtube or the like will help with keeping good communication with your customer base.

The idea behind taped cases as the other companies will tell you is to allow a pack that is expanding to pop open relieving the pressure and giving a visual cue that something is seriously wrong. Its also partially why before this hard case ROAR debate/point, lipos were only heatshrunk.

Consider this also, tape will allow some flex (depending on type). Which means for the ROAR drop, and subsequent pit drop by users, it could help absorb some of the impact. Versus a glued hard case with no stress/relief points.

Most tracks and now ROAR rules mention that a pack needs to be in a hardcase so we have created a hardcase that will work for these rules. I'm not sure what can or will happen if a cell has a failure but with the ROAR rules packs should be charged in a Lipo Sack so this should take care of potential issues. Since the casing is made of plastic that is fairly thin I think you would see it get deformed if a cell would swell.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Danny, I think most people are use to seeing the Orion packs which are not glued together (so they can swell). The two halves of the case are double-sided taped to the cells. It allows the case to protect it with a hard impact but at the same time allows the pack to swell without interference if there is a problem.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Most tracks and now ROAR rules mention that a pack needs to be in a hardcase so we have created a hardcase that will work for these rules. I'm not sure what can or will happen if a cell has a failure but with the ROAR rules packs should be charged in a Lipo Sack so this should take care of potential issues. Since the casing is made of plastic that is fairly thin I think you would see it get deformed if a cell would swell.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the hard case is in part is designed for in use abuse. Not charging. If something short circuits? The car stops and a marshall picks it up while this is happening?

Orbital states above to help you understand. I actually am a bit surprised you haven't done a test run of the safety feature of your hardcase. I'm sure you guys can swallow one blown up pack and the film to tape it on.

Last edited by oXYnary; 01-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Oh comon man! You just want to see death and dismemberment. Or otherwise blaitent misuse of a battery for your personal entertainment.
Heres an idea.. take your old cells (ni-mh) and overcharge them to explosion ! Now record that and show what REAL damage can be done.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Company Representative

We use cells that will meet the ROAR tests and rules. If that isn't good enough for some of you then keep using/buying what you feel is best for you. It's impossible to please everyone on every detail. Our goal is to sell high performance Lipos for the racers and we are making them within the rules.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

I was simply trying to help out with a detail. Something that could help to show innocence in case something ever did go wrong and someone was hurt (lawsuits).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.