Idea to Use brushed motor dyno for brushless

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Idea to Use brushed motor dyno for brushless

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

I am curious if the amound of load place on the shaft during a dyno run on a novak brushless motor is enough to prevent damage to the rotor as novak has made it known that free reving the motor can cuase damage....
I know that the aluminum flywheel does not put much load on a shaft and the RPM's the motor turns during a dyno pull is close to almost free reving just a thought here whats the general concensus on this??????????is it worth the risk of damaging a motor to get info that to me isnt all that important with a brushless motor esecialy when all your going to do is make gearing changes from the info you get from a dyno (whitch with on track testing you can get the same info it just takes longer but heah it's track time and we all know what practice does) or you can buy many motors and use it to find the one with the best #'s.....my point is with a brushless motor you can practice all you want and make gearing and timing changes etc and compare lap times something you couldnt accuarately do with brushed and to me spending time on the track is way more valuable then sitting on your butt in front of a dyno and grunting like Tim Allen when your motor is at peak RPM arhhhhh arhhhhh ooooohhhh.........................
Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Actually you'll have to change the inertia settings in the Robitronic dyno software since the normal settings are for a heavy brushed armature and not a lightweight brushless rotor. The figures you get for brushless, without altering those inertia settings, are not comparable to any brushed measurements whatsoever.

But it's still a good comparison the way you do it now, just don't try to compare to brushed and don't consider the numbers you get as real.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussB
could you post a 13.5 with the standard rotor and that same 13.5 with the big rotor? if you have the stuff.
Russ I sold all my dyno stuff so if someone around here has one I can supply every motor and every arm to do the tests with. I have all the motors except the 17.5.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Were using the CE Turbo Dyno - output hooked to the input of the ESC (using both GTB and LRP) with the ESC switch on, when the dyno is started it puts a set voltage to the ESC and with the radio throtte held full, the motor spins.

Check LEFTHANDER-RC.com under brushless
Sweet. I was thinking my CE Turbo Dyno had just become a paper weight!

I checked Lefthander, I didn't see information on the dyno setup.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Good point there Reto about the inertia settings. I will have to have a play with the setting to see how much it varies the torque.

Would be handy if I had the inertia values of the varius rotors.

I did a test of an lrp compared to gtb and posted the results in the electronics forum.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can someone point me to some instructions for connecting a brushless to a dyno? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Russ I sold all my dyno stuff so if someone around here has one I can supply every motor and every arm to do the tests with. I have all the motors except the 17.5.
You mean to tell me that you don't know ANYBODY with a TD45? LMAO! Old age must be HELL. Now I know why you shave your head....so the white hair doesnt' show!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by raffaelli
Can someone point me to some instructions for connecting a brushless to a dyno? Thanks!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...97#post4159297
Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

www.t-bang.ca

check it out
Old 05-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JevUK

99.8% effeciency

That can't be right.

How do you limit the current to 70 amp?

I can see the low-end torque is also fixed in such graphic, it's quite ideal for drivetrain and battery.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

Torque was not fixed, you are looking at the effect of the current limiter.

It can be set in: file - preferences - current limiter

While you are there you might want to change the rotor inertia setting, default is 4.2 so maybe 2 to 3 would be better for brushless.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JevUK
Torque was not fixed, you are looking at the effect of the current limiter.

It can be set in: file - preferences - current limiter

While you are there you might want to change the rotor inertia setting, default is 4.2 so maybe 2 to 3 would be better for brushless.
I was wondering, did you use a separated type current limiter in the test. if the current limiter's size and performance allows, I wonder whether I can fit one into my touring car's GTB system.

I saw some of the brushed ESCs like KO PROPO VFS-1 do include a current limiter, range from 40-240 amp. but not any brushless system has one yet?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

so what you saying is the current limiter is intergated at the robtroincs.

anyways, Really thx for showing the test data, I have a much better idea about how the motor works now.

great test, it helps a lot to chose the right motor for each track.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At the Robitronic dyno there is an adjustable currentlimiter integrated. Could be adjusted in the software.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zenithrr
so what you saying is the current limiter is intergated at the robtroincs.

anyways, Really thx for showing the test data, I have a much better idea about how the motor works now.

great test, it helps a lot to chose the right motor for each track.
Hi Zenithrr

Yes that's correct, the dyno unit has the current limiter built into it.

I know the tekin has current limiting but also maybe the gm genius.

I'm looking forward to Tekin's sensored system which should have a current limiter. I also really like this feature and I think it would be very usefull for brushless due to the obscene amounts of torque they can create.

Glad you like the info I posted, I plan to do more work but it is on the back burner for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.