Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Arent you running a TRF416? What happened to the Type R you were running?
Still got it. I need to get it cleaned up and consider selling it. It's a fine foam car, but I wasn't impressed with its performance on rubber. The 416 is a weapon.

As for 5 cell, there's no way you can undo LiPo. And who wants to worry about dumping, anyway?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDM
Why do you say that?
because 5 cell is/was easier to drive.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
As for 5 cell, there's no way you can undo LiPo. And who wants to worry about dumping, anyway?

not saying to still have 5 cell but the drivablity that comes with it. but the simple answer is to use higher turn motors i guess.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:28 PM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Island Losi
because 5 cell is/was easier to drive.

not saying to still have 5 cell but the drivablity that comes with it. but the simple answer is to use higher turn motors i guess.
I can agree with you but that happens for a reason, can be the less weight, less power, or both.

We can achive that with lipo, (perhaps even better because less weight) and with higher turns motors as they are free to choose. And more importante with lipo you can have all that fun for more than 5 minutes. I think it's good
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

MaxAmps has stepped up big time...they're already submitting their packs, which will come with hard casing...and they have the saddle packs already, in 4000mah and 6000mah...they're tight with ROAR sposoring their events and are making big moves to become one the big players in the santioned RC racing...

Do ya think it was a coincidence that they released their "skins" only days before this decision was made?

BTW... The new maxamps skins look like they could be fitted to any soft lipo pack, but unless it has passed the ROAR testing retrofitting the old Maxamps packs probably wont be a leagal setup the way I read it. It will need to be on the roar approved list to use it. So retrofitting the skins to older maxamps packs probably wouldnt work either.

EDIT: Not quite sure how the Saddle pack thing will fit the dimensional requirements of new rules either...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wohoo...new lithium battery technology on its way!!!....

http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet...0112&gt1=10841

damn, now i'm gonna have to replace all my current lithium packs for newest tech!

Last edited by Scrubb; 01-18-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb

damn, now i'm gonna have to replace all my current lithium packs for newest tech!
If that becomes reality, I can see 1 hour mains with no pit stops. But it sounds like its a long way off yet. Dont throw out those packs yet.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

oh great... just got this Lipo thing done... LOL

Regarding Saddle Packs: ROAR is working on this. We will probably have an addendum to the rule book with saddle pack dimensions in several months from now. We need to see some first.

Also.. the Lipo approval form http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...roval_form.pdf is now available on the ROAR website. In order for these batteries to be legal at our first national in mid March... they gotta get submitted for evaluation!! We do have a 2 week rule, you know...
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This configuration is legal.
Yahooooo....any links to their clarification?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

IMHO, I do not think MaxAmps stepped up at all, Looks more like a band aid, and is not in the spirit of the guideline. The companies that spent the time and money to either design or OEM a pack that was DESIGNED to be a hardcased pack are the ones that stepped up.

MaxAmps has stepped up big time...they're already submitting their packs, which will come with hard casing...and they have the saddle packs already, in 4000mah and 6000mah...they're tight with ROAR sposoring their events and are making big moves to become one the big players in the santioned RC racing...
Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
IMHO, I do not think MaxAmps stepped up at all, Looks more like a band aid, and is not in the spirit of the guideline. The companies that spent the time and money to either design or OEM a pack that was DESIGNED to be a hardcased pack are the ones that stepped up.
I have to agree with that sentiment Tim. It wasn't long ago that hard cases were being badmouthed by the same on their site. Trinity/Brushless memories came back for me...
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

MaxAmps' timing seems opportunistic at best.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'll stick with my hard-cased CORE's
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

sigh, i posted this news back in december.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Tim,

I can assure you that our skins had nothing to do with ROAR. We have been working on this concept for several months and have put hours and hours into R and D. We were the first to offer lipo packs for RC Cars and have been offering lipos for RC Airplanes for the past 5 years+. If any company understands the technology, its MaxAmps.

Let me explain why we are using the method that we are.

For years, we have talked about our concerns with putting lipos in a hard case. There are several downsides to this including:

1. Heat build up- Lipo cells perform much better with good cooling and airflow

2. With a hard case you can't tell what is happening in the pack. If your pack starts to short out or a cell starts to puff, you may not know it till its too late with a clam shell over the pack.

3. If we did do a hard case we did not want it to significently increase the size of the pack. Our cells are designed as a perfect fit for most applications and they use almost all the available space. That is why are 6000 is the same size as other's 4800-5000 packs.

4. We did not want to have 2 connections to get from the cells to the speed control. With most hard cases you end up with 2 plugs, one to get into the case and one to hook to the speed control.

5. Multiple Pack Options- We have at least 14 different lipo packs from 3000-12000mah just for 10th scale in both 2S and 3S. With that many packs, you would need 14 different clam shells.

We have been asked by several customers to offer the hard plastic covering as an option. We feel like the new lipo skins fills this need. They can run either with or without the skin or they can have it built in. When it is built in, its held together by very thick PVC instead of a sticker like some manufacturers are using. As a clear cover you can still see what is happening in the pack.

Please keep in mind, putting a clam shell held together by a sticker around a lipo pack will not keep it from igniting into flames. We do not want to give our customers a false sense of safety. As we have been saying, there is no "safest" lipo with or without a cover. There are pros and cons to both. They are all dangerous if not handled correctly.

If you want to step up to a lipo pack that is assembled to your specs, here in the USA at our facility, by the best welders, best builders, and best tools and you want to be able to talk to the person on the phone that actually built your pack then "step up" to MaxAmps.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions at [email protected]

-Austin
CEO MaxAmps
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default maxamps skin

I started to respond to Maxamps' claims and reasons against hard cases and decided what's the point. I have only 1 question:
If a maxamps pack without a case is punctured or damaged through user error, will maxamps replace the pack free? As an add-on, if that same damaged pack ignites and causes damage, is there insurance in place to pay for the damages caused by the product which doesn't have a built in safety feature (hard case) to greatly reduce the biggest issue with lipo safety-> fires as a result of physical pack damage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.