Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Is there some reason that this rule can't be applied to Nimh too?
Well, I guess the battery would only be like 50% charged if you did that with NiMH. The rule makes sense with LiPo, because due to their chemistry, going over 4.2V/cell is dangerous, and can lead to a battery fire. NiMH is a different animal entirely.

The voltage limitation on LiPo isn't arbitrary, it's a function of the battery's design and chemistry. ROAR's rule wasn't to limit voltage, it was to prevent then intentional, dangerous abuse of the batteries. The temptation is there because you can get more voltage from the cells by overcharging them, and racers will always try to squeeze more from their gear. In this case, however, there's a very real danger in doing so, which is why people are so upset at the nonchalant attitude toward the practice shown by individuals in the industry.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I understand the reason and risk. I chose 8.4v because it was the safe voltage a lipo could be repeatedly charged to. While Nimh packs show higher voltages on their charger screens while charging they usually only arrive at the track a couple of 10th's above 8.4v. There have been more than a few Nimh expolsions this year caused by overcharging too. If there were a voltage cap it would both level the performance playing field and increase safety.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
Ask and thou shalt recieve!

I'm in the process of CNC machining stainless steel mounting base and side weight kit. Tried the first protype yesterday at the track with perfect balance results. This will amount to a 10 minute conversion on the TC5 to LiPo with perfect balance, battery protection from collision, and polished stainless steel case...very nice.

Will post a pick of prototype tonight, and first batch will be ready by this weekend. Ugly lead... and taped packs and hours of fabing just came to an end.

Let's see those pics
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Let's see those pics

New TC5 LiPo mount and balance.

Please post any responce in new thread.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

New TC5 LiPo mount and balance.

Please post any responce in new thread.

Nice! Have you considered tungsten for those balancing weights?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Nice! Have you considered tungsten for those balancing weights?
I have. Tungsten is more diffucult to machine and moisture can cause corrision. Stainless will hold appearance, is tough, and still machinable enough to keep costs down.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

I have. Tungsten is more diffucult to machine and moisture can cause corrision. Stainless will hold appearance, is tough, and still machinable enough to keep costs down.
Understood. Kewl!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ROAR has reached a decision on the weight rule 5.2.6

"5.2.6 TC Deviation On Road Electric Touring Any material used to add weight to a vehicle in order to comply with the minimum weight requirements for the class must be securely attached to the vehicle (the vehicle includes all electronics, suspension, and power sources that are mounted to the chassis). If such ballast falls off the vehicle during a race for any reason, and the vehicle is under weight at the post race technical inspection, the vehicle will be disqualified for that run."

This should make you all happy ;-)