Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Taylorm
................that would be B.S. and A.S. ................
LOL!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

why can't we tape weight to the batteries? I will read through the 5 pages to see if this has been answered already so please forgive me if it's been answered previously.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by STLNLST
why can't we tape weight to the batteries? I will read through the 5 pages to see if this has been answered already so please forgive me if it's been answered previously.
Dawn mentioned in another thread that it could provide a center of gravity advantage over NiMH. If that's the case, a Type-R w/steel LiPo tray kind of nullifies the reasoning behind it. It doesn't get any lower than that.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Dawn mentioned in another thread that it could provide a center of gravity advantage over NiMH. If that's the case, a Type-R w/steel LiPo tray kind of nullifies the reasoning behind it. It doesn't get any lower than that.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll find out where to put the weight on the chassis rather than the battery itself. Even though most have put the weight on top of the battery which slightly raises the center of gravity.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Lord

Hopefully that rule can be revisited if CoG is the only concern. LiPo guys have to add a LOT of weight, and putting it somewhere other than the battery might not work on some chassis.

I'm guessing that's a rule that will probably get bent quite a bit at the club level if it remains.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hopefully that rule can be revisited if CoG is the only concern. LiPo guys have to add a LOT of weight, and putting it somewhere other than the battery might not work on some chassis.

I'm guessing that's a rule that will probably get bent quite a bit at the club level if it remains.
I sure hope so...'cause simply, that rule isn't right. There are some chassis out now that have the CoG advantage outta the box....is ROAR prepared to ban certain chassis?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Exactly. Small inconvenience with a great payoff. I'll take that $10-$30 liposack over having to spend $200+ a year on NiMh ANYDAY.
+5

LiPo fans (who almost all say LiPo's are totally safe when used with a smidgin of intelligence) should be doing somersaults (sp?) with this and not moaning they need to monitor the charging battery. If you think it's safe and you want to race at a ROAR-sanctioned race or a ROAR-affiliated club, FFS spend $10 for a freakin' sack. If you don't think it's safe, use the NiMH M-80 packs.

(aside: I'd love to see a matcher try to market a 4600 pack called the M-80! )

I still would like to know if anything will be done to disallow the super-high capacity NiMH cells like some EFRA countries have tried. Or is this already done?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I have already asked ROAR to clarify this. My assumption is that the this is OK. The battery is made up of 4 cells but you are configuring them in a way that makes them 2-cell in terms of the legal voltage of 7.4V.
That is good to hear Rick... hopefully REEDY will be releasing a hard-cased saddle pack sooner rather than later then!

Now we just need IFMAR and the other Blocks making it up approve LiPo as well!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was ready for this day two years ago when I decided to go LiPo only.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

now we've seen that 5cell its the better choice for mod. would it make sence to make a 6V lipo for mod racing? if not with 7.4V lipos wouldn't it kill off mod classes as it would be too powerful? or just use higher turn motors for mod racing?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I agree...the Type R will have certain advantages over other cars...its much easier to balance, and adding weights is as low and easy ans it gets...

Arent you running a TRF416? What happened to the Type R you were running?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by STEALTH
That is good to hear Rick... hopefully REEDY will be releasing a hard-cased saddle pack sooner rather than later then!

Now we just need IFMAR and the other Blocks making it up approve LiPo as well!
MaxAmps has stepped up big time...they're already submitting their packs, which will come with hard casing...and they have the saddle packs already, in 4000mah and 6000mah...they're tight with ROAR sposoring their events and are making big moves to become one the big players in the santioned RC racing...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I have already asked ROAR to clarify this. My assumption is that the this is OK. The battery is made up of 4 cells but you are configuring them in a way that makes them 2-cell in terms of the legal voltage of 7.4V.
Dawn...would you please let us know when a clarification will be released? Many of us run Orion and Peak Lipo and would like to know their configuration is legal, and rules are not clear in this regard...thx
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
PDM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Island Losi
now we've seen that 5cell its the better choice for mod...
Why do you say that?

Because less weight? You can be lighter with lipo.
Because less power? If a driver realize he drives faster with a less powerful motor he can change to a less powerful motor.

So...?

And more, for what I seen here fast drivers can not make 5 minutes with 5cells.

Why make it a stupid event if there is technology to make it nice?

I believe people were never told for the real reasons why the change for 5 cells but I have a guess that was because a big european maker of ESC, they were not holding the power.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Dawn...would you please let us know when a clarification will be released? Many of us run Orion and Peak Lipo and would like to know their configuration is legal, and rules are not clear in this regard...thx
This configuration is legal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.