Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's a pack you don't have... yet.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Here's a pack you don't have... yet.

Most people that know me, know that I REALLY enjoy trying things that are off the wall. We were matching up a bunch of old junk and practice packs, when I noticed that the numbers on some dis-similar familes of cells were close enough that I thought, Hmmm.... and soldered them up.

I've run them 3-4 times, they run great and dump like a rock! And the look on somebodys face when they see it in your car is something that can't be described "... what are you? an idiot?...". What's sad is the amount of time I spent actually working the match on that. Scrounging up old cells, taking apart junk, looking for the one good 3600 left that would work with a lousy 4200, etc. You can feel the power is not up to par for a national event. But they worked better than I thought they would... ...lol... and man, they dump good, like your pinion fell off.

It's a solid 402 second pack at 30 amps.

Thought you might get a laugh.
-Bob

Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

cool
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

no im not going to do it
Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bob that is cool. I'm pretty sure I can make a pack similar to that with all the cells I have laying around. It would be cool if one of our drivers would use it and do well with it.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Most people that know me, know that I REALLY enjoy trying things that are off the wall. We were matching up a bunch of old junk and practice packs, when I noticed that the numbers on some dis-similar familes of cells were close enough that I thought, Hmmm.... and soldered them up.

I've run them 3-4 times, they run great and dump like a rock! And the look on somebodys face when they see it in your car is something that can't be described "... what are you? an idiot?...". What's sad is the amount of time I spent actually working the match on that. Scrounging up old cells, taking apart junk, looking for the one good 3600 left that would work with a lousy 4200, etc. You can feel the power is not up to par for a national event. But they worked better than I thought they would... ...lol... and man, they dump good, like your pinion fell off.

-Bob
I like your idea,I use old packs for my older cars. Like i have a car that can only take a hump pack. So with some old cells i managed to make a pack that is 3X the power that the car was designed for,Best part is that the packs where $4 each.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Common lets see a Panosonic P-170 in there!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Bob that is cool. I'm pretty sure I can make a pack similar to that with all the cells I have laying around. It would be cool if one of our drivers would use it and do well with it.
You better than anybody, know that "in theory" the pack works good. Sure, it's got some quirky IR issues. But it does work good enough to race with.

I bet you could get somebody that's a major wheel to make the show at some event with it. Problem is, it wouldn't exactly help promote the new technology...lol...

Congrats at the Novak, I heard the NRG stuff did very well. Good for you guys! I've got a few packs I tested, they look good.

-Bob
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Common lets see a Panosonic P-170 in there!
Hmm, I could probably whip you up a 1200, 1200scr, 1400scr and P170 sandwich within the hour...

I found a box of about 400 old 1700scrs in the back (old race stuff)... I hate to match to far back, it takes a lot of time. Would be fun though.

That other pack, is a legit race pack at this point. That's part of the appeal.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bob im gunnashoot you a phone call this week, i think im gunna order a savage. Maybe jump a house or something. lol talk to u this week.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

-Bob

.......Tooooooooo funny..........the envirogranolatreehuggerwhackjobs will love you for "recycling" your batts.......
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sweet! A pack with 75% less chance of blowing up!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

hmmmm
how about a sanyo 1100 scr cell. any still have one.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

3800mah Heinz 57 race pack. Plus or Minus 400mah! LOL
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Bob im gunnashoot you a phone call this week, i think im gunna order a savage. Maybe jump a house or something. lol talk to u this week.
Well hurry up already... I'll finally be able to afford a decent pack...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
hmmmm
how about a sanyo 1100 scr cell. any still have one.
You talking about those slightly smaller drag cells? If you are, it turns out, you can stuff 8 of those in a "shotgun" stick pack tube and it's nearly the same size as a standard six cell pack... not that we tried it...for stock racing...or know anybody that did.

We went to a race way back in the day where they had their own rules and the rules for the battery were so poorly written, that it was legal. nobody else thought of it. It was something silly like, "assembled stick packs only". To which I thought, "...okeedokee..." It was a bit "obvious" on the track, and I came clean on it before the event started. But let me tell ya, there were a few long sad faces during practice. As I recall, I don't know that we were able to make time with it.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Bob,

As my brother and I found out many years ago the first time we met you at Raceway Hobbies......you are 1 of a kind.

You should post that in any thread here on Rctech when it gets too serious, it would bring the tension down for sure.

Steve Curry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.