Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Extending Race Lengths ( your thoughts ) >

Extending Race Lengths ( your thoughts )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Race Lengths ( your thoughts )

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
1/12 should be 10min now
now that would be cool.

5 minute quailifiers
10 minute mains
15 minute A mains!!! GEAR DOWN, DAMMIT!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I like 5 minute qualifiers and 10 minute mains. The down side I see is that the sub-c racers would have to be more conservative on gearing and there motor out put.
While the range of brushless motors in power out put is minimal. There for giving the Brushed sub-c racer a disadvantage. Therefore causing chaos in racing harmony.... Right now we are able to compete with mixed classes, I think run times would just be a ploy at superiority. And just cause torment and anguish to on road racing.
I would say if we went to over board on run times it would just push sub-c and brushed out. And a topic like this could engage a ton of other down sides as well. The run time class has always been 1/12th scale. I would say have a runtime class and leave the rest alone.

I tested over the summer in electric 20 minute mains. And it was fun. But pushing lipo packs to the limit might may at this magnitude not be a good idea?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Stock
Qualifying : 5 minutes x 2
Final : 12 minutes x 4

Modified
Qualifying : 5 minutes x 2
Final : 10 minutes x 4

The problem with such long time final :
1). brush motor might not make it.
2). 4600 NiMH won't make it either.
3). It's not a fair race when somebody use brushless motor vs. brush in such long time final.

Advice :
brushless motor and lipo batt are standard RC equipments by 2010 .
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Why not just run a li//bl 20 minute main class w/ a minimum weight limit for a roller w/out any electronics & no weight limit for a roller w/ electronics. This way there will still be a motor//battery game when people are trying to figure out how much capacity & motor they need.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
And why isn't it feasible at a big race event? Big nitro events have many more people show than most onroad electric events, yet the smallest main is usually 10min, increasing all the way to 30min, 45min or 1 hour mains.

As someone else pointed out nitro has only 2 classes vs at least 4 classes of electric, as to the number of particapants I don't run nitro and have'nt been to a big nitro event in yrs. Now at this past IIC in Vegas I think there were just over 400 electric entries (someone please correct me if thats incorrect) running longer mains with that number of peeps would take two days alone.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, Nitro entries at major races are limited.

There is no way to have longer races and big event like the IIC and Snowbirds.

Look at it this way. Lets say you have a race with 500 entries like the IIC. The entry fee is ~$100....thats $50000. If you double the race time you have to cut the entries in half and the entry feels will have to go up to $200 to cover the same overheads and expenses.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yeah, Nitro entries at major races are limited.

There is no way to have longer races and big event like the IIC and Snowbirds.

Look at it this way. Lets say you have a race with 500 entries like the IIC. The entry fee is ~$100....thats $50000. If you double the race time you have to cut the entries in half and the entry feels will have to go up to $200 to cover the same overheads and expenses.
Yes, I know that.

I'm talking a racing event for country or city with small population of RC racers. Perhaps a race even with less than 60 participants.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

At Seattle Indoor Raceway we have a GT3 class that uses Tamiya silver can motors. This class has been 8 min quals and mains for a couple years now.

As brushless and lipo became more popular at SIR we first tried 6 min and now are run 8 min quals and mains with 13.5 and 10.5 classes.

The racers seem to really enjoy the additional race time.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been racing nitro 8 years off and on now with lipos and brushless i am a big EP fan now selling all my nitro stuff i think the race should be like this

quals 5 mins

A Main 10 mins

B Main 8 mins

C Mains and below 6 mins
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I say... larger tracks....all cars in every class on the track at the same time...1 hour race with pit-stops for tires, batteries and such. Hmmmm...sounds like the American LeMans series or Grand Touring Car races... The logistics of that would be insane which is why it would never happen...that and actually having to negotiate lapped traffic would cause people fits and probably start fights which nobody wants.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
........The logistics of that would be insane which is why it would never happen...
The logistics are not as bad as you invision (and yes we do mix classes on our longer endurance races)
Our club has 2-30 minute races per event. We have 15 minutes for qualifing.
Thats 75 minutes of track time. We set up, race, tear down and clean up all in about 3 1/2 hours. And thats for those of us who organize the events. If all you do is show and and race, then you can participate in our events and be done in under 2 hrs.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

i say get rid of ifmar starts a due heads up qualifying
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
i say get rid of ifmar starts a due heads up qualifying
Thats actually a great idea...at least for club racing. Race starts are usually a mess since you only get to practice them once a week during the mains.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Thats actually a great idea...at least for club racing. Race starts are usually a mess since you only get to practice them once a week during the mains.
Agreed...IFMAR quals at the club level are boring to me and boring for new people to watch when they show up.

Heads up racing is where it's at!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MADHAT
The logistics are not as bad as you invision (and yes we do mix classes on our longer endurance races)
Our club has 2-30 minute races per event. We have 15 minutes for qualifing.
Thats 75 minutes of track time. We set up, race, tear down and clean up all in about 3 1/2 hours. And thats for those of us who organize the events. If all you do is show and and race, then you can participate in our events and be done in under 2 hrs.
Are you saying you only have two heats of racers? What happens if more people show up and you have another heat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.