Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default nice mini akura

Originally Posted by akura2
thanks guys... LOL
this is my 65 Cooper 1330 twin 1.25" SU's

Last edited by durtbag; 09-28-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by durtbag
this is my 65 Cooper 1330 twin 1.25" SU's
I WISH my engine bay was that clean...

Mine's a 1380 with twins...
Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Is there a better Tamiya diff screw/nut that fits in the m05 diff? Snapped one today running silver can
Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hotrod306
I'm having a hard time picking a new mini. M05 or m06 .....the track I will be running at has not open yet (next week,short straight away 44feet ) it seems like a small area with lots of turns/corners so does the 05 corner better then 06 ? I'm guessing that their will be lots of bumping .....would the 05 take hits/bumps better ? Any thoughts would be great
So far of the M06 cars I've seen, the M05 is the better choice. Almost everyone in our Mini group has pretty much given up on them. Brandon K, 2010 and 2011 TCS Mini Nationals Champ, has his for sale. So far there isn't one M06 I"ve raced against can even stay close to my M03. AND, they were being driven by better drivers and chassis tuners than me. They were a Mini Nats Champ, 2 Nats podium finishers and 3 A main nationals drivers. My M06 kit is up in the rafters of my garage with cellophane wrapper still on it. Nuff said.

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Is there a better Tamiya diff screw/nut that fits in the m05 diff? Snapped one today running silver can
Use the diff screw and nut from the 416. The winged nut is metal so you can loctite the screw. Most of us have gone back to the TA03 ball diff with the outdrives modified to accept the blades. Just a more reliable and long lasting option although the M05 dif works just as well.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
get the ones from 3racing (they're black, if memory serves me right). Alternatively you can opt for the TA03 or the Manta Ray (heavier & gear has more surface area) unit.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi everyone, My 6 year old son has started racing in the Tamiya mini class at our local club, we race on primafelt carpet. The track is quite tight with a lot of twists and turns. I would like to know which steering servo would be best to use? The tamiya one that came with the kit is no good with his 2.4 ghz radio.Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Home
Hi everyone, My 6 year old son has started racing in the Tamiya mini class at our local club, we race on primafelt carpet. The track is quite tight with a lot of twists and turns. I would like to know which steering servo would be best to use? The tamiya one that came with the kit is no good with his 2.4 ghz radio.Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Im using a Spectrum 6010 digital in my m05, which works great! If you wanted to go crazy fast then savox would be the go, but I think and digital metal gear servo should be more then enough, which ever one of those you can get cheapest. Thats what my spectrum is for me.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Thanks Granpa. I was looking at the 415 screw but it looked the same as the 05. I ordered the 416.

@ cheapskate. We run TCS rules, but thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Just about the time you start thinking you know a little bit about these cars, they'll throw you a curveball to drive you nuts. I have 2 M03 cars and one is about as perfect as can be, but the 2nd has been a problem fom day one. It was assembled from new chassis and a bunch of new unused spare parts we all have.

There were 2 differences in the cars in that the 1st car had 1.5 degree hubs and the second had the plastic 2 degree hubs. Also the first car had TC TRF shocks and the 2nd had the #54000 TRF Mini shocks. I made the setups as close as could be in springs, shock oil and rebound, camber, ride height etc. Yet one car was a dream to drive and the second would have the back end step out sometimes and while quick was a bit difficult to drive.

What was wrong was something I'd only spot by accident cause it just wasn't anything I'd usually check. For whatever reason, the particular rear upright used was bumping the rear body mount before full compression of the shock occurred. 2 minutes with an X-acto putting a bevel on the body mount cured the problem completely.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
So far of the M06 cars I've seen, the M05 is the better choice. Almost everyone in our Mini group has pretty much given up on them. Brandon K, 2010 and 2011 TCS Mini Nationals Champ, has his for sale. So far there isn't one M06 I"ve raced against can even stay close to my M03. AND, they were being driven by better drivers and chassis tuners than me. They were a Mini Nats Champ, 2 Nats podium finishers and 3 A main nationals drivers. My M06 kit is up in the rafters of my garage with cellophane wrapper still on it. Nuff said.
Bob, backed up by what we saw at Tamiya Asia Cup finals on the weekend in Singapore. Lots of people attempting to run with M06's and while they were ok...the moment the car got off line, got involved in a braking duel, or got involved in some biff/bashing, then it was bye bye...

In racing terms the FWD's (03 or 05) are better in 99.9% of circumstances. Like you, I still prefer the 03 (WAY simpler to work on) Plus it seems to annoy people that I still run the old school car...
Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Certainly not disputing what you guys have seen but here where I race virtually EVERYBODY started doing better with their M06's. Prior to the introduction of the M06 the guys with M04's were often faster than the front-drivers on just the right kind of track but now the car to beat around here seems to be the M06. If it were just me that saw an improvement moving from an M05 to an M06 I'd chalk it up to not having my M05 setup ideally but like I said, almost everyone has seen better results with the M06, at least around here!

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by tony gray
Bob, backed up by what we saw at Tamiya Asia Cup finals on the weekend in Singapore. Lots of people attempting to run with M06's and while they were ok...the moment the car got off line, got involved in a braking duel, or got involved in some biff/bashing, then it was bye bye...

In racing terms the FWD's (03 or 05) are better in 99.9% of circumstances. Like you, I still prefer the 03 (WAY simpler to work on) Plus it seems to annoy people that I still run the old school car...
Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Mike,

interesting to hear about all you guys switching to the M06!
Any more details about your tracks or setups?
That would really be interesting for me and my M06...

Regards from Germany,
Matthias
Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Exceptional circumstances Mike..

I know the track you guys race on, and that sort of surface is very much the exception rather than the rule.

On a 'normal' track (is there such a thing?) what I said stands true. Certainly on our own home track an M06 wouldnt get within a lap of a FWD car, if that.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Matthias,

I'm referring to indoor carpet racing where the tracks are what I would call moderately large (80-100ft x 60ft with 8ft wide lanes where possible) with moderate to high grip, although certainly not crazy high grip.

Most of us (although I can't say for sure, all of us) running the M06 run something very close to the kit setup. I for one am running EXACTLY the kit setup including the S-Grip rear/harder kit tire front tire setup.

I'm not for a second suggestion that there aren't competitive M05's and M03's that I race with and the front-drivers are definitely easier to drive and more stable with on-track "dicing" but for me and for several other guys I race with the M06 has a very real speed advantage on the tracks that we race on.

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Hey Mike,

interesting to hear about all you guys switching to the M06!
Any more details about your tracks or setups?
That would really be interesting for me and my M06...

Regards from Germany,
Matthias
Old 10-02-2011, 02:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yup, our carpet is sticky in all the right places. The main advantage of the RWD minis is out of the corners. With the new brushless systems we're running, the FWD cars just can't put the power down. Coming out of a corner, the weight transfers and the rear wheels get shoved into the surface.

I'm still waving the FWD freak flag, though, mostly because my illness has left me with a throttle finger that's either full on or full off. RWD requires a little more finesse to keep it in line. Which reminds me, the RWD cars are less stable when things get physical.

Anyhoo, Tony: Is the pic attached part of the Xevo Chariot manual? It's about the only thing I've seen anywhere.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.