Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markus
found it. I am very similar I currently run 50wt front and 60wt oil rear. My car does push. I'm thinking the M05 likes to have the same oil front and back. This weekend I will run 50wt in all four shocks. and use springs to adjust for steering. Also I use S tires in the front and A's in the back on a high traction track.
i now only use kit Tyres as the car was grip rolling too much ,

softer springs all round to help create some more grip

BUT now it is broken waiting speres from Hong Kongs snail mail !!!

the screw for the stearing krank has pulled out of the chassis , any one else had this ???
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

well im not in the lipo side yet, due to rules or mini racing i need a battery that is under 3000m. the only thing out in a stick battery is a 1500, dont know how well it would work, now for a motor you can only run stock, the motor i have is older so i might buy a new one?? the diff is locked i can get the thing to pull and pull hard, i know i need to take my corners a little wider, im into all out death race when im out there. every one says lower the rear of the car and remove the springs, i pot them back in and lubed everything well the move now. what other battery can i get??
Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvermag
well im not in the lipo side yet, due to rules or mini racing i need a battery that is under 3000m. the only thing out in a stick battery is a 1500, dont know how well it would work, now for a motor you can only run stock, the motor i have is older so i might buy a new one?? the diff is locked i can get the thing to pull and pull hard, i know i need to take my corners a little wider, im into all out death race when im out there. every one says lower the rear of the car and remove the springs, i pot them back in and lubed everything well the move now. what other battery can i get??

There are many options....
3000mah
And those are just the 3000mah.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have had a look over my car and after the one race night there is a groove worn around the inside of both front tyres about 2-3mm from the inside edge. I am running spice32 with med/hard inserts (cant remember which). I am running on asphalt where the grip level changes week to week due to dust etc. The other night it was v/high grip. If I am getting too much front grip, could that be the cause of washing off speed and the tyre wear/
I used to get the same wear on my Xray tourer but I did not expect it on the m05.

Terry
Terry,

On your MO5, which hole do you have your front camber link in? If it is on the lower front mounting hole, then that type of tyre wear is normal. Most of us here are running the front camber link in the upper hole, as the tyres do noy wear as quickly.

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 12-04-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: revised text.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

I have noticed that it is very easy to snap the c hubs on the MO5. The c hub is snapping where the screw passes through the hub on the bottom. Has anyone else had this problem?

Seems like the plastic is more brittle than the older material. I know I should stay off the pipes, however the older cars could take a hit or three.

BTW,

Those wanting MO5 setups you can troll through the thread, as I have posted setup stuff previously on this thread and the aussie mini thread. All of the setups are for 55mm diameter tyres.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey everyone,

My name is Chris and I am associated with West Coast R/C Raceway. You may have seen the F1 thread that is dedicated to F1 drivers in So Cal. We at West Coast have been working with them to build a class to run at the track. Prior to that they used the thread to organize themselves to meet up at a certain track on a certain day so as to have a large class of drivers to have fun with and I fully expect them to do that some more, not only at West Coast but other surrounding tracks.

I wanted to post on this thread to hopefully be able to reach out to the Mini drivers to try to organize something similar for the minis West Coast. We have seen lots of Minis in the pits but we never seem to organize enough of you guys to build a class for racing.

It looks, to us, like the guys who have Minis only practice. What will it take to bring everyone together to run together? For F1 we are going to start running a race program one Sunday a month. We are hoping that that will draw enough interest in F1 that others will get themselves one then maybe we can run them on regular race days as well.

Would the Mini drivers be interested in something like that? Would you guys come out on a Sunday morning for a "Mini Only" race program?

On Sunday we would allow open practice for the majority of the time but we would close the track and run a few races for the F1 guys then we would open the track back for open practice again after a round of racing.

If this is something you would be interested in please sound off and let me know or if you think I am missing something entirely please let me know as well. We want to see every class grow and thrive at West Coast but we need input from you guys on how to help you help yourselves to get and keep a class running.

I look forward to your comments.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ckaspar, this is a wonderful idea...similar format as F1 Sunday but for mini-2wds. mini 2wds are out there in numbers and were doing just fine until they were bunched with ABCs instead of their own separate race...that quickly shelved all the 2wds cuz they had no chance to compete. recently dedicated 2wd races have been back at another venue namely speedtechrc's monthly race and doing very well as they should be. So much fun driving this class!

If you can get it going (don't see y not) at WC, I'll try to make it as often as schedule permits.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

I just recently got a M03r and it has been a blast so far. A quick question to all you mini experts out there....

On the M03R steering blocks, there are 3 holes to mount the steering link. How does each of the 3 holes affect the steering response of the car? (see picture for #1, #2 & #3)

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m03_steering.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hardmankam
I just recently got a M03r and it has been a blast so far. A quick question to all you mini experts out there....

On the M03R steering blocks, there are 3 holes to mount the steering link. How does each of the 3 holes affect the steering response of the car? (see picture for #1, #2 & #3)

Thanks in advance.
If you have it in hole 1 vs. hole 3, then your steering response will be quicker, if you move it from hole 2 it will also change your toe, i always ran it in hole 1.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

this is a video from our club race this afternoon

2nd A final of the day after the first one i thought it would be a good idea to video and it was a boring race

the 1st final was THE best race i have ever had !!!!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That's a nice, technical, yet free flowing track layout.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
I have noticed that it is very easy to snap the c hubs on the MO5. The c hub is snapping where the screw passes through the hub on the bottom. Has anyone else had this problem?

Seems like the plastic is more brittle than the older material. I know I should stay off the pipes, however the older cars could take a hit or three.

Calvin.
I havnt broken anything yet but i have noticed the plastic isnt the same quality as the M03 kits. the screw holes strip easier and like u said seems more brittle.
I have been building kits for years so i have good feel for it and havnt had a problem with any of the M03's before.

Also my mate has bent a front and rear hub, im not to surprised about the front but the rear bending was very weird. Mine i think is a little bit bent, looks like 1 side has more toe than the other but its not crab walking yet so ill just leave it
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

G'day Tom,

My MO5 looks like it has more toe on the left rear when viewed from the back. I haven't found it to affect the car's handling though.

The front c hub's have both broken at the bottom where the screw goes through for the hub. It may just have been the angle that I hit the barrier on. I am tempted to try the MO3 F bits and see how they go. I must say that when I have broken the c hubs I have been at full noise.

I have tried the new 3Racing rear hubs. I used the 2 degree hubs with the link in the outer hole and ran 1.5 degrees camber. The car felt really good. I might have to try the 1 degree rear hubs and see if they work well. I can not see them being TCS legal. But they do change the roll centre though.

I will report back on how the 1 degree rear hubs perform. I am fairly happy with my car, just need to fine tune the mong behind the wheel.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 12-07-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi Calvin, i know Drew broke a c hub out at windsor on his m05,
i dont think he has driven the car since, i might try & talk him into
selling it to me
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well mine hasn't broken one yet and it has been slammed like an outback dunny door.
It may have been your angle of attack ,lol. But it does look like its a brittle compound.

I have also had to run some c.a glue around to beef up some threads here and there.
Looking forward to running the little gremlin this week,as once or twice a month isn't enough racing for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.