Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have experimented with several different setups on my mini, the only one thing I haven't done is change the track on my car.
What should i expect if I widen the track on my mo3rm?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

heres my new Cooper body sitting next to my new TC body
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-pict0022.jpg  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
I have experimented with several different setups on my mini, the only one thing I haven't done is change the track on my car.
Initial turn-in isn't as good any more, slight (i.e. possibly imaginary) increase in mid-corner stability, and....your body shell doesn't fit any more.

There's no real point to it from what we've seen when it's been tried.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I've always run the car narrow. It's more aggressive all around. Widening will make the car more stable (ie push).
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Are there any US based on-line shops carrying good Mini tires?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:58 PM
mep
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
However, we've been (luckily) involved with testing some tires from a new manufacturer and they're really looking the goods. Can't say any more at the moment but should be able to reveal all in a week or two.
Sweet!! Looking forward to more details

I can attest that a wider track reduces traction rolling with RPs & Spice slicks... 2-4mm is plenty though, no need to go fitting TL-01 arms. Anything more than 2mm offset does make bodies hard to fit though. If you want to run a really wide car, you need to re-address your suspension set up(and your driving lines) to keep the steering response.

This little beast was widened 3mm per corner(4mm wider universals & rear axles, with narrow 4mm clamp hubs + 1mm spacer) & it used to frighten the competition with a Black can & 20-tooth pinion... set up was impossibly tail-happy on anything less than RP, Spice or Ride slicks, but the insane grip kept it planted so you could toss it around like nobody's business, with no sign of understeer in sight. Fenders were cut out dramatically for clearance ->

Oh, and it didn't like bumps very much either.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 PM
mep
Tech Regular

Default More wide pics...

Here's a standard width M-03 with Tamiya Rover body and 4mm offset wheels made by Square... looks cool, but it's rub city:

That one was never on track obviously...
Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Are there any US based on-line shops carrying good Mini tires?
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=506
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=505
Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

My M-03R that i just completed.

I still havnt painted up my shell but heres a few pics of the chassis. Nice and neat

Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

This is off topic, but I found a neat little fan and bracket made by 3Racing that takes all of 10 minutes to install including soldering the leads. I bought mine from Jeff at Speedtech rc. He told me he'd have more in shortly as I'm still short 2 for my 4 Minis. Tomie at Fusion Hobbies also used to stock them, but someone beat me to the last one he had.

If you are running a Black can these are essential. They'll make your motors last much longer and help the performance during the last half of your race. If you haven't noticed black cans run hot.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
This is off topic, but I found a neat little fan and bracket made by 3Racing that takes all of 10 minutes to install including soldering the leads. I bought mine from Jeff at Speedtech rc. He told me he'd have more in shortly as I'm still short 2 for my 4 Minis. Tomie at Fusion Hobbies also used to stock them, but someone beat me to the last one he had.

If you are running a Black can these are essential. They'll make your motors last much longer and help the performance during the last half of your race. If you haven't noticed black cans run hot.
My sport tuned motor doesn't run that hot? A few guys use the fans but I beleive they make SFA difference. Haven't had any problems with motor longevity, or for that matter fading during the race.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi,

maybe widening can be used in fine tuning... widen front (more steering) or widen rear (more rear traction)?

ty.

joel
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ashley Cobb
My sport tuned motor doesn't run that hot? A few guys use the fans but I beleive they make SFA difference. Haven't had any problems with motor longevity, or for that matter fading during the race.
I agree with you completely. If your motor doesn't run hot, you shouldn't run a fan. No use fixing a non problem.
For the others who may have noticed their motors running on the hot side, these 3Racing fans are very simple to use. Actually, the cool looking blue bracket makes the deal. It'll reduce motor temps in the neighborhood of 20 degrees or more. The fan, not the bracket
Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have you got a Ferrari dream but only a Beetle budget? You just have to check out this amazing build-up story on how to convert an M04L to a stunning Ferrari-bodied M04SS super-short wheelbase. Using only Tamiya parts too!

It's one of our best ever articles and it's online now

Go here to read all about it.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 AM
mep
Tech Regular

^^Good job Tim! I've been wanting to try a Tamtech body for a while, just didn't want to waste the money if it didn't work. Do the Tamtech rear tires fit on Mini rims by chance?.. and are they any good for grip? They look similar to Super Slicks, but they are dirt cheap. They look a bit smaller, which good mean wicked acceleration out of turns in they put down some grip.

This short wheelbase trick also means we can fit an ABC 510 body on the M-04!!! Thanks RC Mini

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.