Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, just purchased a M-03r, first mini wanted to do a little parking lot race with this. I made it into a M-03m mid lenght chassis i guess. Looked on mini racer website and got a lot of info. A few questions:

are the kit tires useable to race I think they are 60d treaded?
whats the popular tire choice (doesn't have to be tamiya)

Is there a base line driveable setup anyone has or just build it per instructions.

for fine tuning, does shock oil/spring changes make that big difference, or is a mini just what it is and keep the car low to the ground and adjust your driving to the car? it appears oil and spring changes are the only real major options to tune a mini?

I built the car, but hasn't seen any asphalt yet.

thanks for any info.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teabag
Hi, just purchased a M-03r, first mini wanted to do a little parking lot race with this. I made it into a M-03m mid lenght chassis i guess. Looked on mini racer website and got a lot of info. A few questions:

are the kit tires useable to race I think they are 60d treaded?
whats the popular tire choice (doesn't have to be tamiya)

Is there a base line driveable setup anyone has or just build it per instructions.

for fine tuning, does shock oil/spring changes make that big difference, or is a mini just what it is and keep the car low to the ground and adjust your driving to the car? it appears oil and spring changes are the only real major options to tune a mini?

I built the car, but hasn't seen any asphalt yet.

thanks for any info.
The kit tires are not too bad. They just wear out too fast.
Major handling changes are done with tires and insert combinations. Small changes are done with ride ht., shock oil and springs. For most parking lots, don't set the ride ht too low. W/out knowing exactly how much grip you have it's hard to make specific suggestions. This is a combination of tires and inserts that seems to work pretty well out here in our California prking lots:
Ride med or hard tire with Ride inserts in front and Rp or Spice tires with the Spice 5.5mm thick inserts in back. No sway bars. You can change the handling more with tire and inserts than with anything else.
Would suggest the following upgrades:
1. ditch the dog bones and get the #53205 universals
2. TAO3 Ball diff and #53217 hardened out drives
3. #53509 flourine coated pinion. These do not wear out like the stock ones
4. TRF shocks

Sorry, I forgot we run Black cans where I'm racing now. If your running the silver can, try using the 60Ds type a slicks in front. Experiment with one set of double stuffs and one set using just foam.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
The kit tires are not too bad. They just wear out too fast.
Major handling changes are done with tires and insert combinations. Small changes are done with ride ht., shock oil and springs. For most parking lots, don't set the ride ht too low. W/out knowing exactly how much grip you have it's hard to make specific suggestions. This is a combination of tires and inserts that seems to work pretty well out here in our California prking lots:
Ride med or hard tire with Ride inserts in front and Rp or Spice tires with the Spice 5.5mm thick inserts in back. No sway bars. You can change the handling more with tire and inserts than with anything else.
Would suggest the following upgrades:
1. ditch the dog bones and get the #53205 universals
2. TAO3 Ball diff and #53217 hardened out drives
3. #53509 flourine coated pinion. These do not wear out like the stock ones
4. TRF shocks

Sorry, I forgot we run Black cans where I'm racing now. If your running the silver can, try using the 60Ds type a slicks in front. Experiment with one set of double stuffs and one set using just foam.
thanks, I used my old gold trf shocks off my TA03, I guess I'll pull the ball diff off that too.

where do you get the Ride or Spice tires?

I'm attempting to be race ready for Corona Hobbytown this month if there is a showing of mini's.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so now that we cant not get any more RP's mini tires anymore
whats do I use on carpet now?
spice or Ride or jsut plan old tamyia?
anyone have used any of these on carpet?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sure can:
try Tamiya S-Grips up front double stuffed with a shortened and glued Tamiya blue 24mm insert on the outside and a Tamiya Jun insert or hard foam on the inside cut and glued to size.

Out back plain old M Grips with Tamiya foam will do the trick. Blue front springs with 80 weight and rear reds with 35 weight.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teabag
thanks, I used my old gold trf shocks off my TA03, I guess I'll pull the ball diff off that too.

where do you get the Ride or Spice tires?

I'm attempting to be race ready for Corona Hobbytown this month if there is a showing of mini's.
If you're talking about Charlie's race (O.C. Circuiit), chances are I'll be there. Look me up. I had to run with the HPI Spec cars at LaMirada and felt like the ball in a pinball machine. It'll be good if we have enough Minis for a race. Most of the Mini guys have been at Tamiya trying to get ready for Doc.
I got most of my tires from RC Market. Warn you though, it's not like dealing with US suppliers. Once you figure out how their policies work, it's not too bad.
If you don't get yoyr tires in time, I usually have some extras you can borrow.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
If you're talking about Charlie's race (O.C. Circuiit), chances are I'll be there. Look me up. I had to run with the HPI Spec cars at LaMirada and felt like the ball in a pinball machine. It'll be good if we have enough Minis for a race. Most of the Mini guys have been at Tamiya trying to get ready for Doc.
I got most of my tires from RC Market. Warn you though, it's not like dealing with US suppliers. Once you figure out how their policies work, it's not too bad.
If you don't get yoyr tires in time, I usually have some extras you can borrow.
I hope after the Tamiya Race all the Minis will come back to Bending Corners Saturday racing. We had about 7 or 8 Minis racing three weeks in a row now there are none . If they don't come back to Bending Corners after Tamiya I will sell the Mini.

Last edited by dag32; 02-15-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default First Body

How does this look for my first body? Done with masking tape and rattle cans. I've already gotten a few complements, and I was thinking of making this my MO for all of my RC's.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dshdf.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dag32
I hope after the Tamiya all the Minis will come back to Bending Corners Saturday racing. We had about 7 or 8 Minis racing three weeks in a row now there are none . If they don't come back to Bending Corners after Tamiya I will sell the Mini.
They should be back. Don't sell the Mini, race the regional at Tamiya. I'm looking forward to racing at BCR later in March.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by straightspeed
LED torch. You were had. I've now got four little pull back penny wheelie trucks sent FOC with 4 orders. Awsome fun on my desk at work

I've spent £1000's at RC Mart, and I've never had a delayed delivery, a lost item, customs charge or any other problems.

The volume of business they undertake (take a look at their ebay transactions which is only part of their business) will mean occasional problems.
the little truck does wheelies? way cool... mines still in it's wrapper
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I believe a little more than 50% of the A mainers in mini at Trackside this last weekend ran the Lipos inlcuding 2nd place. I personally have run the 3200 Orion Lipo for over a year and love it. Just make sure to add a couple oz. of lead to make the car more settled. Since the Lipo is so light it tends to be a little more tippy without weight. Once I added 2oz to the underside of the battery wings the car runs awesome.
Do you have to discharge / recharge after each heat ? or do you just recharge it again after each heat ?

Tks.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Do you have to discharge / recharge after each heat ? or do you just recharge it again after each heat ?

Tks.
You don't discharge a lipo pack. Depending on how long your heats are one charge might last two heats. Different lipo's might go longer than that.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
The runtime was the same, at the 22 minute mark the mini would start to slow a bit, at the 28 minute mark the novak lipo cutoff would kick in. This was the same for the intellect 4200 & the orion 3200 carbon lipo, same mini running a sport tuned (black) motor.
See above for the answer....
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I got a question for any of you mini guys. I probably know most of the answers now but I am having brain farts. I want to know what hop-ups from the mo3 will work on the mo3m. My mini has alu steering knuckles, sway bars, tao3 ball diff, cva short shocks, carbon shaft set. What out of all of that can I still use, I know the shocks & diff for sure the rest I dunno. Please let me know asap.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It doesn't make ANY difference whether its an M03 or an M03M Aaron.... They'll fit on either.

The only thing which will be a problem is the steering knuckles as the M03M has a different front end and the old style alloy ones won't fit. But you don't need em anyway on the M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.