Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I know, that's what my mom used to say. Too late now.

I know it's all in the other thread but I was really frustrated back when I was trying to wade through all the bullshit in hundreds of pages back there so I can understand the poor bugger. I know it didn't help me much, that thread. And hey, I am not trying to stop anyone doing whatever they want. The thread is right here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ps-tricks.html

There may be better ways, that's how I did it, that's what I know.

I for one am glad the silvercan is in the bin of racing history. I have about a hundred of them and I happily bash them until dead and throw them away.

I know you resent it, but what I do not understand is how you can not see that the whole silvercan tuning stuff and all that stuff with the super silvercans were just another way to cheat. Not an illegal way, but still cheating against the spirit of the class. If someone beats you just because they have a motor on steroids is the same thing even if we can't detect the steroids. Mini racing is more interesting in Australia because we did away with all that crap a long time ago, and the Canadians discovered the same thing when they adopted the idea. Maybe this doesn't work for you over there, but if it doesn't it's not because it's a bad idea. It's because someone over there has some other interests (Tamiya I suppose).
Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

I stopped cleaning my sealed can motors a long time ago because i found that they didn't run well afterwards. Now they just seem to get faster and faster. Just what works for me, mind you.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by whitrzac
I know, but your always complaining about mini moving to brushless
So, what does that have to do with anything?????? He was asking about a brushed motor, a subject of which I have considerable knowledge.

I don't understand the point of your posts, unless it was to take a "cheap" shot. It's crap like this that can make someone not want to help. I know of some who just won't post here, even tho they are very knowledgeable and could contribute a lot to any discussion.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

I think it's all that humidity and foggy weather you've got in the UK, guys. Gets in the motors and knackers them.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
So, what does that have to do with anything?????? He was asking about a brushed motor, a subject of which I have considerable knowledge.

I don't understand the point of your posts, unless it was to take a "cheap" shot. It's crap like this that can make someone not want to help. I know of some who just won't post here, even tho they are very knowledgeable and could contribute a lot to any discussion.
It's just an excuse. You can ignore cheap shots. It's an internet forum. There's an ignore function for that alone.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
I stopped cleaning my sealed can motors a long time ago because i found that they didn't run well afterwards. Now they just seem to get faster and faster. Just what works for me, mind you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're running the HPI 20 turn aren't you???? The Stinger is another that responds that way. They are odd in that they don't like "cleaning". Most of the others do. KO Propo had a motor like that they used in one of their races. There may be others.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Yeah, I know, that's what my mom used to say. Too late now.

I know it's all in the other thread but I was really frustrated back when I was trying to wade through all the bullshit in hundreds of pages back there so I can understand the poor bugger. I know it didn't help me much, that thread. And hey, I am not trying to stop anyone doing whatever they want. The thread is right here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ps-tricks.html

There may be better ways, that's how I did it, that's what I know.

I for one am glad the silvercan is in the bin of racing history. I have about a hundred of them and I happily bash them until dead and throw them away.

I know you resent it, but what I do not understand is how you can not see that the whole silvercan tuning stuff and all that stuff with the super silvercans were just another way to cheat. Not an illegal way, but still cheating against the spirit of the class. If someone beats you just because they have a motor on steroids is the same thing even if we can't detect the steroids. Mini racing is more interesting in Australia because we did away with all that crap a long time ago, and the Canadians discovered the same thing when they adopted the idea. Maybe this doesn't work for you over there, but if it doesn't it's not because it's a bad idea. It's because someone over there has some other interests (Tamiya I suppose).
I think brushless systems may simplify some things, but there is just as much voodoo and cheating, if not more, than goes on with silver can motors. You have different rotors, stators, etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, all easily identifiable. Manufacturers who want their motors race legal have to mark the componentry such that it makes easy to scrutinise.

But that is beside the point. Brushed motors could never be scrutinised the same way. There was always something one could do. With brushless, it's impossible to do anything that won't show up.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Yes, all easily identifiable. Manufacturers who want their motors race legal have to mark the componentry such that it makes easy to scrutinise.

But that is beside the point. Brushed motors could never be scrutinised the same way. There was always something one could do. With brushless, it's impossible to do anything that won't show up.
I have friends who attend TCS races and other races with a lot of entries and brushless motors are seldom examined.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

And now you know why.

Either way you can't blame the motor for the scrutineering.

Every competition I ever attended I had my gear scrutinised by the book. And I'm not talking about world competitions either.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help guys. Going off to have a good read of that tips thread. Might be a whils
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Key part - Aussie mini racing adopted a single make and model motor (IIRC) and Canada also adopted a single make and model (Orca). Now I know in Canada, there has been some issues with finding one when stock levels were low etc, sometimes we find a bullet, and then a dud, but we all made it work, and the racing is incredible (thanks to Jimbo / Monkeyracing!)

US, I really dont know why the TCS opened it to any 21.5 (EDIT). Pick one manufacturer who wants to sell major volume at a considerable discount to the racers, and you have eliminated alot of issues. Even if that means TCS has a full documented agreement with a manufacturer to guarantee a price and stock levels.

Last edited by axle182; 06-20-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
Key part - Aussie mini racing adopted a single make and model motor (IIRC) and Canada also adopted a single make and model (Orca). Now I know in Canada, there has been some issues with finding one when stock levels were low etc, sometimes we find a bullet, and then a dud, but we all made it work, and the racing is incredible (thanks to Jimbo / Monkeyracing!)

US, I really dont know why the TCS opened it to any 17.5. Pick one manufacturer who wants to sell major volume at a considerable discount to the racers, and you have eliminated alot of issues. Even if that means TCS has a full documented agreement with a manufacturer to guarantee a price and stock levels.
17.5 ?? you mean the 21.5 motor for the TCS MINI?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
17.5 ?? you mean the 21.5 motor for the TCS MINI?
Confirmed... Rule in the US states any 21.5 motor. I'm not sure I'd want any part of a 17.5-powered mini...
Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

No problem. It's been great for me and even though people are sometimes concerned that one BL might be faster than another, the performance gaps are much narrower than they were with silver cans.

Funny story: Do you remember Brad Greenslade? He used to race with us at Karz when we ran silver cans. His car was an absolute monster - completely blew away everything else on the track week after week. He claimed that he just stuffed his car in a cardboard box at the end of the day and chucked it in the garage when he got home. He claimed to have never, ever touched anything on the car. Ran it just as he bought. There was a lot of speculation that he was some kind of master of motor tuning and he had us all fooled with his low maintenance at. Turns out, he was telling the truth.

I remember when Brad crashed his car one day, after racing it for a few years, and had to take it apart. Several people gathered around to see what sort of secrets his car held. The first and most obvious was the gearbox full of carpet fluff and chunks of plastic that had been circulating around in it since it was built. It was packed with crud. The gears were black, greasy and chipped. I had a look at his motor while it was out. It was the filthiest, gnarliest piece of junk I'd ever held in my hands, with the exception of some really old, broken sewage pipe. (Don't go in to plumbing. It's a sticky profession. (Curtis))

The bottom line is there were no secrets. Everything about the car was the antithesis of what we preach here. The motor was simply freakishly powerful and fast out of the box. There's no real point to this story, other than to remind people to not take it so seriously. It comes down to skill, luck and sweat. If you have two out of three, you might win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.