Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
I'm still wondering which UJ's to go for guys, one of the Tamiya types or 3 Racing? It's for indoor carpet with kit motor if that makes a difference.
Cheers
Tamiya.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm still wondering which UJ's to go for guys, one of the Tamiya types or 3 Racing? It's for indoor carpet with kit motor if that makes a difference.
Cheers
I see a few post back you were looking at the 3Racing gear diff. I also purchased the 3Racing gear diff a few months ago. I went ahead with the 3Racing universals since I knew they would fit fine. No problems so far with them, the seem to work great. I've not tried the Tamiya ones but I'm sure they are fine also.

BTW since my gear diff was quite tight in the beginning I tried running it in with a drill to "break it in". It did loosen it up a bit, but I still ended up only putting 70k diff oil in instead of the 500k or 1M oil I ordered with it. Maybe someday it will loosen up enough to use those high weights but for the past few months its been great with the 70k.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
Tamiya.
Which ones, the fixed ones or the ones you build?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Do all the bits come with the 3 Racing diff? Do i need additional bearings etc?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Everything but the bearings and the fluid. Yes you need to get bearings 10x15x4.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RussF
Everything but the bearings and the fluid. Yes you need to get bearings 10x15x4.
Thank you. Two of those?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Yes one for each side.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

I'm more of a fan of the Spec-R diffs. Just personal experience. Worth a try if you're considering a fluid diff.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Which ones, the fixed ones or the ones you build?
I doubt it matters, but the old ones will be harder to find and if they wear out they will have to go in the bin.

Tamiya parts fit perfectly and are well made. I can't think of a single component that is better than the Tamiya part anywhere on the car - the only exception being the diff and that is only because Tamiya don't make an oil-filled gear diff. My car is all Tamiya with the exception of the diff, and the diff (3Racing) is the part that has needed the most fettling to get right.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
I doubt it matters, but the old ones will be harder to find and if they wear out they will have to go in the bin.

Tamiya parts fit perfectly and are well made. I can't think of a single component that is better than the Tamiya part anywhere on the car - the only exception being the diff and that is only because Tamiya don't make an oil-filled gear diff. My car is all Tamiya with the exception of the diff, and the diff (3Racing) is the part that has needed the most fettling to get right.
+1
I keep my main car TCS-spec at all times, just because it makes it easy. Tamiya's fit/finish is top-notch, so I've never seen the need to use aftermarket stuff.

The fluid diff's are nice, and I have a Spec-R unit ready to put in to my secondary car to test with, but you can get the same effect for the most part with the stock gear diff. I just use different greases and shim stacks.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just dropped a TA-03 ball diff in my M03 to repace a grease packed stock gear diff and the car turned into a rocket on the straight as well as excellent corner speeds, can't detect any wheel spin either...Have never tried the fluid diffs...how does the ball diff performance compare to fluid diff's? I can't imagine it being much better but would love to hear from those who have tried both.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys

I was surprised to see plastic diff gears in there, I guess spur gears can take abuse so why can't these. Also do you use the plastic cushions for the drive shafts supplied or just continue to put the rubber o rings in the outdrives?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In the interest of being a contrarian, I'd suggest 3Racing v3 universals. I own 3 sets, drive like a hyper 5 yr old on Red Bull and crash a lot. I've never had one fail. I can't even tell them apart from the Tamiya units. They're pretty much the only non-Tamiya parts on my cars.

Avoid their v2 unis, if they ever pop up and the Yeah Racing ones are extra crappy.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys

I was surprised to see plastic diff gears in there, I guess spur gears can take abuse so why can't these. Also do you use the plastic cushions for the drive shafts supplied or just continue to put the rubber o rings in the outdrives?
You need to use the blades otherwise the driveshafts will not be an accurate fit in the outdrives.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugler
I just dropped a TA-03 ball diff in my M03 to repace a grease packed stock gear diff and the car turned into a rocket on the straight as well as excellent corner speeds, can't detect any wheel spin either...Have never tried the fluid diffs...how does the ball diff performance compare to fluid diff's? I can't imagine it being much better but would love to hear from those who have tried both.
Hey Alex..good seeing you in this thread. You should have joined Opi and I at TCS

Danny R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.