Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Wow. I log out for two days and look what happens!
Chaos!
Name Calling!
Cats and dogs lying together!

Bob (aka Granpa) is a good guy from way back, and a more talented driver and technician than he gives himself credit for. Genuinely nice person. Wish I could be out there for the Nats this year, Bob, but it's the same weekend as our 39th anniversary, and you know how that goes.

FWIW, we sell LOTS of TCS legal Red Dots. Just mentioning.
Completely changing subjects. I apologize. But rccardr, are you writing for any online or printed magazines anymore?

Since getting into the hobby I have kept a notebook with helpful articles. And most of them were the R/C Doc answers to troubled hobbyists
Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Hi Monkey,
M06Pro and R have 2mm longer piston rod in rear. These you can order. The special parts for the R concerning the rear shock fixation and the clamp weights are not available as single parts.
From my first look at the M05 gold edition, it seems to be normal Mini shocks with the longer lower ball end from the old buggies. The one that is still on the plastic parts tree of the TRF shocks.

Br,
Matthias
Mini guys in Japan have running the "new" front and rear suspension for awhile now. Check out RC machine's blog.

http://machine-rc.dreamlog.jp/archives/cat_103992.html
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

- nevermind, I figured out the problem right after posting this

Last edited by Miller_Time; 07-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by back9monsta
Mini guys in Japan have running the "new" front and rear suspension for awhile now. Check out RC machine's blog.

http://machine-rc.dreamlog.jp/archives/cat_103992.html
That is so cool. Can't wait to try it. Going to order the parts and see if I can get it sorted out next Saturday. Anyone know the part # for the rear shock mount??

Thanks for all the kind words guys. But let's face it, every time you post, you're putting yourself out there for evaluation, criticism, etc. That's okay cause I learn from a spirited discussion and have been dead wrong more than once. The personal stuff tho should be kept out of this thread and handled by PMs.

Doc, sorry you can't make it out. I just celebrated my 53rd anniversary, so I know how that goes. I'll just save the questions for you till the next time.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks monsta. I'll have to translate that and see what they've done. I tried the outer mounting points a while back. It didn't work so well. I may have had the damper length wrong.

Glad the hubbub on here has blown over. The internet is a terrible translator of emotion and intent, unless you're a very good writer. I'm pretty sure none of us are professional writers. I am married to one though. I should get her to proof all my stuff.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
That is so cool. Can't wait to try it. Going to order the parts and see if I can get it sorted out next Saturday. Anyone know the part # for the rear shock mount??

Thanks for all the kind words guys. But let's face it, every time you post, you're putting yourself out there for evaluation, criticism, etc. That's okay cause I learn from a spirited discussion and have been dead wrong more than once. The personal stuff tho should be kept out of this thread and handled by PMs.

Doc, sorry you can't make it out. I just celebrated my 53rd anniversary, so I know how that goes. I'll just save the questions for you till the next time.
GP,

Here is what you need for front and rear.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5213
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by back9monsta
GP,

Here is what you need for front and rear.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5213
Bensi, I got that part, what I was looking for was the part # for an option rear shock tower. Didn't you have one on your 05??????

What makes this conversion???? so interesting is the shock shaft moves much more with the same suspension movement than in the stock set up. Have no idea whether this is a good thing or bad. Don't know whether 2 hole pistons, heavier or lighter oil, stiff springs?????, lay down the shocks or more vertical????. All sorts of things to think about and/or try. Exciting stuff. I really need to get outside more.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

I have the rear adjustable camber arms on my M05 whilst using the OE plastic hubs, how much camber am I looking for on high grip carpet? I have the TRF shocks, M grips and level wishbones. The way I have them on the car at present is without spacers and screwed up so they meet in the middle. I haven't driven the car with them yet but wanted to discuss a good base.
Thanks guys
Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Bensi, I got that part, what I was looking for was the part # for an option rear shock tower. Didn't you have one on your 05??????.
Were you after this one? 54475 M05 carbon rear damper stay.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
I have the rear adjustable camber arms on my M05 whilst using the OE plastic hubs, how much camber am I looking for on high grip carpet? I have the TRF shocks, M grips and level wishbones. The way I have them on the car at present is without spacers and screwed up so they meet in the middle. I haven't driven the car with them yet but wanted to discuss a good base.
Thanks guys
Start with 1.5 degrees then adjust from there. If the couplers are touching, you probably have too much camber.

This is probably where I got the rep for being not "nice". Also this is not directed at you or anyone in particular. What's the deal with "level wishbones"? Isn't the more important measurement the ride height. Let's suppose you set your car up with 60D tires and made sure your wishbones were level. Then switched to 55D tires, kept the wishbones level, would not your ride height be 2-3mm less????? I have no idea whether the wishbones are level, drooped, or up on my Minis. Don't even look and really don't give a ----.

I'd heard the wishbones level myth when I first started running Minis. Having just come from TCs, I listened to the local Mini "gurus" and dutifully tried to keep the wishbones level. What a waste of time that was. Set your ride height and forget about this other stuff. There's a lot of Mini Truisms out there that just don't compute. This is one of them.

Again, I am not "dumping" on boons or anyone else for that matter. If you disagree with my stance on this point, show me where I went wrong. Been wrong before and will probably be wrong in the future.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tim K
Were you after this one? 54475 M05 carbon rear damper stay.
That's it. Thanx Tim.

Actually, on further reflection, Tony Tam was playing around with this a couple of years ago. I'll have to ask him about this, before running out to buy a bunch of parts. Tony is usually way ahead of the curve.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Completely changing subjects. I apologize. But rccardr, are you writing for any online or printed magazines anymore?

Since getting into the hobby I have kept a notebook with helpful articles. And most of them were the R/C Doc answers to troubled hobbyists
Nope, I stopped publishing back in '99 when the preassures of my 'real' job became too intense to allow me to continue. About the same time forums like this one started popping up, so now you can get information on almost any topic within 24 hours of posting. Which dilutes the value of printed publications, IMHO.

Saw the notice on the top of the forum page about looking for writers. Was tempted, but then looked at my daily planner for the next three months and realized that for me, it would be more work than fun.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

I was looking at the set up from rc-mini.net

I was reading this guys set up. I am open to suggestions though so thank you for your replies! I guess it's a lot of trial and error!

Start with 1.5 degrees then adjust from there. If the couplers are touching, you probably have too much camber.

This is probably where I got the rep for being not "nice". Also this is not directed at you or anyone in particular. What's the deal with "level wishbones"? Isn't the more important measurement the ride height. Let's suppose you set your car up with 60D tires and made sure your wishbones were level. Then switched to 55D tires, kept the wishbones level, would not your ride height be 2-3mm less????? I have no idea whether the wishbones are level, drooped, or up on my Minis. Don't even look and really don't give a ----.

I'd heard the wishbones level myth when I first started running Minis. Having just come from TCs, I listened to the local Mini "gurus" and dutifully tried to keep the wishbones level. What a waste of time that was. Set your ride height and forget about this other stuff. There's a lot of Mini Truisms out there that just don't compute. This is one of them.

Again, I am not "dumping" on boons or anyone else for that matter. If you disagree with my stance on this point, show me where I went wrong. Been wrong before and will probably be wrong in the future.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
I was looking at the set up from rc-mini.net

I was reading this guys set up. I am open to suggestions though so thank you for your replies! I guess it's a lot of trial and error!
The rc-mini site is one of the best things around. You really can't go too far wrong following their advice.

The point I was trying to make was that there some Mini axioms out there that just aren't true. I just picked on the "arms level" one cause it happened to be in your post. Some of these just drive me crazy cause I see people doing this kind of stuff all the time.

Suppose now that you dutifully set up your car so the arms were level. Let's say that you take the car to the track and you determine that you need to lower the back of the car. Guess what, your arms are no longer level. If you raise or lower the front of the car, again your arms are no longer level. Ride height adjustments are one of the more valuable tuning tools and if you painstakingly made sure the arms were level, they aren't going to stay that way for long. If this is true, and it is, why bother???? Would it not be better to set the ride height you want and forget all about this arms level stuff?????

Minis are a really simple little car. After you "play" with them for awhile, they'll pretty much talk to you and tell you what they need. What makes a Mini tough sometimes is that it can take a whole lot of work to make a simple little adjustment. And yes, it takes a whole lot of trial and error before they start talking to you.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Great post Granpa.
With such a simple design, the most common problem is to "over-think" setup methods. On a M03 for instance, 90% of the car is setup through the shocks, which again, can be just as simple as any other car. The trick, like you said, is to explore the little things within the big picture once a baseline has been set.

The great thing about mini's is that all the adjustments of a normal car are there, you just have to teach yourself not to look for them, 'cause most of them just aren't needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.