Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

A hand full of 16.9s at the Tamiya USA Track with my outlaw mini today. Quite the milestone for me.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

It's #54182. Tamiya has some unique names for it's parts so on occasion parts can be difficult to locate. For example if you're looking for a shock shaft you'd better know it's a piston rod. This is the adjustable upper arm set.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
It's #54182. Tamiya has some unique names for it's parts so on occasion parts can be difficult to locate. For example if you're looking for a shock shaft you'd better know it's a piston rod. This is the adjustable upper arm set.
Thank you Sir!

And what spacer should I use? Should I also use the 1.5 alloy rear hubs??

Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default AOC mini race

Brad/ Tony G.

How was the race this weekend?

I was looking for results on AOC site however I couldn't find them.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
Thank you Sir!

And what spacer should I use? Should I also use the 1.5 alloy rear hubs??

Thanks again!
I do not use any spacers on the camber links. My guess is that they are used as stiffeners and as such need to have the couplers snug to each side. Thus, every time you want to change the camber, you'll have to change the spacer. Also you'll find on many Minis, the camber links will be different lengths from side to side to achieve the same camber. The spacers have many uses so keep them. I use them internally in my shocks rather than the o-rings.

Stick with the stock 2 degree plastic units for now. I can't advise with any degree of surety whether the !.5 rear hubs would be better on carpet. I've only found them useful on low grip surfaces. Yes, I know, that sounds counterintuitive.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by back9monsta
Brad/ Tony G.

Bensi, thanks again for the shock rebound tool and the shock building tips. Tried it last nite and it worked great.

On the other subject we were discussing, a softer front spring will also slow down steering as well as the other things.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Bensi, thanks again for the shock rebound tool and the shock building tips. Tried it last nite and it worked great.

On the other subject we were discussing, a softer front spring will also slow down steering as well as the other things.
GP,

You're Welcome. "Remember I can only tell 98% of what you need to know the other 2% will be up to you." Haha, I don't know much. Got that awesome quote from you or Chuck.

Speaking of softer springs. I know Tamiya makes 4 sets of short springs.
- Short whites with colored dots
- Short hard springs colored springs
- Short Flourescent colored springs
- Short black springs with colored dots

I've found universal spring chart from Petit but never see the short blacks listed
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/Univ...pringChart.pdf

The short blacks have always seemed softer to me by using the finger method. What do you guys think am i crazy? How would you rate the blacks compared to the others?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by back9monsta
Brad/ Tony G.

Cos...they aint up anywhere yet.

1 - Wayne Rabot - TOP Sabre Mini
2 - Brad Portelli - M05
3 - John Watkins - M05
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-screenshot011.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Adept

I have ordered 54182, so I'll have a go at setting that up when it arrives. Should I follow kit instructions? It's for high grip carpet.

On another note, I have the 3 racing alloy steering set up (M05) and I wonder which holes I should use for the steering arms. Front or back on hub and steering set?

I guess that along with potentially using the front holes combined with the drop in ride height from the 54000 shocks and short springs will mean I need to adjust the toe out?

Cheers all
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Almost forgot, what width Tamiya hop up alloy wheel hexes should I get?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

I have ordered 54182, so I'll have a go at setting that up when it arrives. Should I follow kit instructions? It's for high grip carpet.

On another note, I have the 3 racing alloy steering set up (M05) and I wonder which holes I should use for the steering arms. Front or back on hub and steering set?

I guess that along with potentially using the front holes combined with the drop in ride height from the 54000 shocks and short springs will mean I need to adjust the toe out?

Cheers all
I don't know the 3Racing parts, but I would choose the setting that is closest to the kit setting and work from there. You might need to adjust the toe links, build it and see.

Thanks!
Get the 6mm hexes, 53569, these are the same as the kit offset.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

I noticed that the new Gold Edition M-05 was advertised as having new suspension, and I think I've worked out what has happened - they have simply mounted the shocks at the hingepin with M-06 style ball-pins. Might be interesting to try.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by demoman588
It seems like grandpa just cant be nice on his posts or replies.
Lol, Granpa is the single most helpful guy here.. he's old, his delivery might not be the nicest but he gets the point across. Good information too.

Too all you other "sphincter sandwich eaters".. when was the last time you offered anything helpful?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

G-PA is definately a wealth of information . I never said he wasnt. All I said was he is a bit rough around the edges.lmao. I hope someday he will come to the roadrunner track in camarillo and race sometime . I think that they have the best mini class out there .
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks!
Actually a pretty interesting ????? If I'm not mistaken, sosidge does a lot of carpet racing, so the 6mm hexes make sense. I run mainly on outdoor asphalt so usually opt for the 5mm hexes. That way if you want a wider track, just use a 1mm spacer. It gives you a little more flexibility and another tuning option.

There are times, for example, that you might find 5mm hexes in front with 6mm hexes in back are the best option. Or vice versa. If you haven't tried it, you might be surprised or not. This is a fine tuning option and you might not notice much if anything unless your base set up is pretty close

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.