Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For those who aren't fans of the 4WD Mini genre (Yes Jim,this means you ) look away now.

For everyone else who wants to know just what the deal is with the new Tamiya M- Four TA05 Mini, Part One of our 2 part review is online HERE now.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
For those who aren't fans of the 4WD Mini genre (Yes Jim,this means you ) look away now.

For everyone else who wants to know just what the deal is with the new Tamiya M- Four TA05 Mini, Part One of our 2 part review is online HERE now.

As much as I love the mini, its a 4wd pan car.

Just buy a Associated TC6 or Xray 2012.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tony, just read part of the review and you talk about lips. Look at the Losi mini lipo packs. They are 46mmx97mm and while they still won't fit where the Li-Fe goes, it will be closer to the dimensions. Maybe less work to install.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedyDad
Tony, just read part of the review and you talk about lipos. Look at the Losi mini lipo packs. They are 46mmx97mm and while they still won't fit where the Li-Fe goes, it will be closer to the dimensions. Maybe less work to install.
I have read the lipo reveiw about the C rating on the M site.

We do not run Tamiya rules as they do.

So it does make a difference in voltage drop on the packs in longer timed races.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpeedyDad
Tony, just read part of the review and you talk about lips. Look at the Losi mini lipo packs. They are 46mmx97mm and while they still won't fit where the Li-Fe goes, it will be closer to the dimensions. Maybe less work to install.
Probably correct, but the bottom line is, most people will want to run the same lipos that they already have, not buy new ones.

So we deliberately took this route as our preferred option.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech

So it does make a difference in voltage drop on the packs in longer timed races.
I was talking about the M Four review. He talks about fitting lips to it.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Probably correct, but the bottom line is, most people will want to run the same lipos that they already have, not buy new ones.

So we deliberately took this route as our preferred option.
Good deal. Just mentioning an option.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech

youve quoted a post about putting lipos into the m four and then start talking about tamiya rules and voltage drop?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Can anyone recommend a good lipo that's light but has a good C rating? Right now I'm running a venom 5000mah 40C but I'm wondering if I went to a lesser mah, if that would make the car lighter? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Ken
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vrooom
What are the diameter of tamiya tuned short spring??? as im hoping those will fit on 3racing shocks on my m05.
TRF springs come in at just a hint over 16mm (O.D.)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Y'know, it's not that I hate 4wd minis. I think they have their place in the mini pantheon. It's just that Tamiya's decision makers really need to get their heads out of their asses. After giving us the M-05, which was a tough nut to crack for some, they foisted the over/under engineered M-06 on us. The M-06 - a car with more screws in the gearbox than an entire M-03. Smooth move. (Of course, we all ran out and bought one.) Now I'm back to an M-03 and loving it, as are half the racers I know. I'm hoarding M-03 chassis, btw.

Anyway, Tamiya's busy re-issuing 20-30 year old crap at us , reinventing the wheel, in an M chassis sense, and all the while they're planning this thing. And what is the deal with this anyway? 380 motor? LiFe batteries? The whole flipping world is using 540s and LiPos and they believe this to be a good idea?

Maybe it is the future and I'm getting old(er) and cranky, but the argument I've frequently heard about 4wd minis, LiFe batteries and 380 motors being hot in Thailand doesn't mean much to most of the world, especially here on the other side of it. We get 30-40 guys at the local clubs running minis and we've all settled in nicely with what we've got...yup, I'm old.

I have to admit, however, that I have been fascinated by 380BL motors recently and how much weight I could shave off my Xevo using one. I've got it down to 934g now, ready to race.

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Gotta say we're with you Jim. We cant work out why Tamiya went this route with the car, it's almost like they wanted it to fail?

Had it been released with 540 compatibility and lipo then they would have quadrupled their sales from the miserable amount they can expect to sell as it is.

This is actually the first ever Tamiya m chassis car that I haven't bought!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm new to Tamiya cars and a frind picked up an MO3 Swift for me. Does anyone knoe what parts set I need to convert it to a short wheelbase car so I can run true mini?

Also, are all all MO 3s rwd?

Thanks in advance, Chuck
Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leinbacc
I'm new to Tamiya cars and a frind picked up an MO3 Swift for me. Does anyone knoe what parts set I need to convert it to a short wheelbase car so I can run true mini?

Also, are all all MO 3s rwd?

Thanks in advance, Chuck
Chuck,

Really easy

Simply take out the centre chassis spacers and close the chassis down. Then you have the SWB Mini.

RWD? None are . It sounds like you have a M04
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Y'know, it's not that I hate 4wd minis. I think they have their place in the mini pantheon. It's just that Tamiya's decision makers really need to get their heads out of their asses. After giving us the M-05, which was a tough nut to crack for some, they foisted the over/under engineered M-06 on us. The M-06 - a car with more screws in the gearbox than an entire M-03. Smooth move. (Of course, we all ran out and bought one.) Now I'm back to an M-03 and loving it, as are half the racers I know. I'm hoarding M-03 chassis, btw.

Anyway, Tamiya's busy re-issuing 20-30 year old crap at us , reinventing the wheel, in an M chassis sense, and all the while they're planning this thing. And what is the deal with this anyway? 380 motor? LiFe batteries? The whole flipping world is using 540s and LiPos and they believe this to be a good idea?

Maybe it is the future and I'm getting old(er) and cranky, but the argument I've frequently heard about 4wd minis, LiFe batteries and 380 motors being hot in Thailand doesn't mean much to most of the world, especially here on the other side of it. We get 30-40 guys at the local clubs running minis and we've all settled in nicely with what we've got...yup, I'm old.

I have to admit, however, that I have been fascinated by 380BL motors recently and how much weight I could shave off my Xevo using one. I've got it down to 934g now, ready to race.

Jim

Tamiya is a japanese company. I suppose we all think we know that and think we know what that means.

I have had this idea seriously shaken during my recent visit there.
Why? Well, if you go to Japan, you will see the japanese are doing their own thing the way they like it and the way they want it. I am sure Tamiya could have gotten a few more sales if they took your advice, but I don't think they care much about the rest of the world (at least in mini design, but read below). I have just come back from japan and there are a lot of conversion kits for TA05 to a mini size with 540 motors, from companies like Tech Racing and others I had never heard of before. I think I counted about 4 different kits on the shelf in just one shop in Akihabara before I gave up.
I am sure then in this climate Tamiya knows what they're doing or have some plan up their sleeve.

Sales of R/C kits in Japan probably outweigh the rest of the world so we are a marginal market form their pow. That is why they don't care what you and I would like to have, but what their own domestic market wants.

Japanese people/companies are like that. All of them.

But there might be something else in the mix.
There is an endless number of mobile phones, computers, games, cameras, (real) cars, etc, in general high tech that we would all like to have, but they are not interested in exporting. I don't understand why, but they just don't care. Perhaps there is still some resentment from the times they were told they were an inferior race (you know, before ww2), and they want to compensate by keeping all the good stuff for themselves to make us feel inferior, I don't know.

In the meantime, try to get friendly with your japanese buddies if you want a chance at access to the latest and greatest out of the country of the rising sun.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.