R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #14746
Tech Elite
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,354
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Are there aluminum front C Hubs made by Tamiya available for M05 pro (All I could found was 3racing)?
Tamiya do not make them. I would also only stick with the plastic C hubs because you can see when they break. If you replace with alloy then other parts will break, which could end up costing you more in parts. I would also not run the alloy lower arms either for the same reason.

My two bob's worth.

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #14747
Tech Master
 
offtraxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: da dells WI
Posts: 1,871
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

my son has gone thru 2 tranny gears (one touching the motor) in the last 3 months in his mo3. anyone know what could be causing this and does anyone have a spare to sell? I don't want to buy another parts bag G for 1 part with anly a few weeks of onroad left before summer.
__________________
I'm not a RC addict. addict's are in denial, I admit I have a problem
offtraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #14748
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtraxx View Post
my son has gone thru 2 tranny gears (one touching the motor) in the last 3 months in his mo3. anyone know what could be causing this and does anyone have a spare to sell? I don't want to buy another parts bag G for 1 part with anly a few weeks of onroad left before summer.
I assume you mean the gear inside the chassis & not the pinion ??

Perhaps using the wrong pitch pinion gear ??
or not using a hardened pinion
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #14749
Tech Elite
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,354
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

offtraxx,

If you are using the standard 20 tooth pinion that is provided in the kit, over a period of time it will wear and then damage the spur gear in the car. When the pinion wears the teeth will be curved on one side and resemble the shape of a shark fin. The standard pinion is made from soft aluminium and is normally one of the first parts I replace during assembly.

As 1101 as said, the hardened 20 tooth pinion is the one to get. I would also check to see if you have any wear/play on the spur and intermediate gears or that the chassis halves mounting points have any play. I would aslo check all of the 1150 and 850 bearings.

Just my thoughts,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #14750
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Kids at my club (and some adults) burn through those gears like crazy. It's just from bashing and crashing. The new black version of the gears are much stronger. They'll still break eventually, but they're better.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #14751
Tech Regular
 
Misiek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
Tamiya do not make them. I would also only stick with the plastic C hubs because you can see when they break. If you replace with alloy then other parts will break, which could end up costing you more in parts. I would also not run the alloy lower arms either for the same reason.

My two bob's worth.

Calvin.
Thank you for your help-will get the plastic ones.
__________________
________________________________________________________
On paternity leave...
Misiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #14752
Tech Master
 
offtraxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: da dells WI
Posts: 1,871
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
offtraxx,

If you are using the standard 20 tooth pinion that is provided in the kit, over a period of time it will wear and then damage the spur gear in the car. When the pinion wears the teeth will be curved on one side and resemble the shape of a shark fin. The standard pinion is made from soft aluminium and is normally one of the first parts I replace during assembly.

As 1101 as said, the hardened 20 tooth pinion is the one to get. I would also check to see if you have any wear/play on the spur and intermediate gears or that the chassis halves mounting points have any play. I would aslo check all of the 1150 and 850 bearings.

Just my thoughts,

Calvin.

thanx. yes it's the stock pinion from the kit and it looks ok to me. I have seen the sharkfin alot with trx stuff. I'll look into the hardend pinion. standard pins work or do I need something else?
__________________
I'm not a RC addict. addict's are in denial, I admit I have a problem
offtraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #14753
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Just thought I'd post an update on those who may have been following my trials and tribulations with my M05M. Yesterday was Tamiya track day.The car no longer seems to "hate" me and is starting to come around. It's now almost decent. Sometimes, when you confer with one "group", your thinking can get a little "inbred". Thanx to rccartips, he got me thinking outside the box and made a couple of suggestions that made a big difference.

Did not spend much time on the 05 cause my M03M took up most of my attention. The car was pretty good but was not giving me as much steering as I like. Swifty had loaned me an Abarth body to try and this change gave me the steering I was looking for. Couple of little changes and this car is going to be a bullet. Too bad the driver won't be able to wring the best out of it. But I'll tell you what, it's gonna feel good taking a gun to a knife fight.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #14754
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY&FL
Posts: 3,359
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Hey Folks, just getting back into M-chassis racing and loving it. Got my old M03 out and she still works pretty darned good. Noticed a body made by Team ABR but can't seem to find out where to get them. Anybody know ?? I did a search and found a company called racecraft rc but nothing comes up on their website for team ABR. Clue me in....been out of the loop for awhile. Thanks
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #14755
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Swifty had loaned me an Abarth body to try and this change gave me the steering I was looking for.
This is why my club is switching to spec, 2200kv brushless systems for mini. If silver can mini racing gets fast enough for the body to be a factor, then the motors have gotten out of hand. We're going to get the speeds under control to make it easier for the new guys and tougher for the fast guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtraxx View Post
I'll look into the hardend pinion. standard pins work or do I need something else?
Robinson Racing makes very nice hardened pinions for Tamiya. They refer to them as "48M" or "48 metric". I believe the "proper" term is .6 module. The Tamiya hardened pinions are really good as well.

Jim
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #14756
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

This might sound like a stupid question, but where do you check ride height? The front is sloped, so it's difficult to get an accurate reading. Front sides?
__________________
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #14757
Tech Apprentice
 
BumFacedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wild and Craggy Quantock Mountains
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Hey Folks, just getting back into M-chassis racing and loving it. Got my old M03 out and she still works pretty darned good. Noticed a body made by Team ABR but can't seem to find out where to get them. Anybody know ?? I did a search and found a company called racecraft rc but nothing comes up on their website for team ABR. Clue me in....been out of the loop for awhile. Thanks
m-chassis.com in Australia is the onyl retail outlet i've seen that carries team abr bodies
BumFacedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #14758
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,592
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Evoracer - You may want to checkout the Colt bodies on HKS Hobby. They're 210mm.

http://store.hkshobby.com/index.php?...fa0cb417d89c4e
MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #14759
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
This is why my club is switching to spec, 2200kv brushless systems for mini. If silver can mini racing gets fast enough for the body to be a factor, then the motors have gotten out of hand. We're going to get the speeds under control to make it easier for the new guys and tougher for the fast guys.



Robinson Racing makes very nice hardened pinions for Tamiya. They refer to them as "48M" or "48 metric". I believe the "proper" term is .6 module. The Tamiya hardened pinions are really good as well.

Jim
Odd that you would think that the Hobbywing system is slower than the Silvercan. It is the equivalent to the Blackcan in performance. If memory seves me correctly, the reason the Australians went to that system was not to run something "slower", but to achieve more uniform motor performance. The Sport Tuned motors were known for the variance in performance from motor. The other reason was to have a motor that was more reliable. Being quite "aged", perhaps Tony or Calvin or some of the other down under racers might enlighten us. I'd hate to rely on my information retention capabilities.

We TCS racers have another problem entirely and that is to find motors motors slow enough to meet the stringent rpm limits that have been imposed. Hate to disagree with you, Jim, but bodies do make a difference. And that is even at the slower speeds we are running. You're right about the Robinson pinion. They also have the advantage of not "stripping" the set screw like the Tamiya flourine coated pinions do and are about half the price.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #14760
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
This might sound like a stupid question, but where do you check ride height? The front is sloped, so it's difficult to get an accurate reading. Front sides?
Not a stupid question at all. This is why it really is difficult to translate one persons ride height measurement to anothers. The measurements are being taken at varying positions.

I generally take the front ride height on an M03 in front directly under the motor which is the chassis low point. The rear at the midpoint of the chassis at the very back. The M05 can have front ride height measurement taken at the front axle centerline. If an 03 and an 05 have have the same chassis "attitude", the rear ride height measurement of the 03 will be much greater.

I'm not saying that this is the best or the only way to do it, only that for me it's the easiest and most consistent.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
dirtybirk, PapOdie
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:16 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0