R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2006, 03:19 AM   #1456
Tech Apprentice

TYRE INSERTS

Hi All,

Just wondering what inserts you are using for the Tamiya 60D's for TCS racing. I have tried the using the black harder foam insert with the HPI mini insert. I have found that the insert moves inside the tyre carcass, creating a bulge and the tyre no longer runs true. I only use this type of insert on the front and only use one foam insert in the rear. I am currently running the HPI X pattern belted tyres which wear well, but don't have the speed of the 60D's. I have thought about using a cut down sorex insert and taping the join?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Calvin.
caltech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #1457
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

I was told by my LHS that the HPI mini inserti is smaller than the 60D insert. If you want something other than the Tamiya 60D inserts, you can use thier inserts as a pattern and cut down normal touring car inserts. The best glue I know is glue used to repair neoprene dive or surf suits.
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:46 AM   #1458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One-way in a Mini is not TCS legal. Been there, asked the question, got the answer.
Contact cement works great for joining cut foam or molded inserts. Stays pliable, doesn't make the joint hard like CA, sticks better than tape.
Later
Doc

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #1459
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Daddy Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr
One-way in a Mini is not TCS legal. Been there, asked the question, got the answer.
Contact cement works great for joining cut foam or molded inserts. Stays pliable, doesn't make the joint hard like CA, sticks better than tape.
Later
Doc
Doc
Old guys rule!

Boomer
Big Daddy Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #1460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr
Later
Doc
hey Doc... shoot me an email if ya get a chance. i had a couple questions fer ya!

weswheelw68@yahoo.com
thanks!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #1461
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltech1
Hi All,

Just wondering what inserts you are using for the Tamiya 60D's for TCS racing. I have tried the using the black harder foam insert with the HPI mini insert. I have found that the insert moves inside the tyre carcass, creating a bulge and the tyre no longer runs true. I only use this type of insert on the front and only use one foam insert in the rear. I am currently running the HPI X pattern belted tyres which wear well, but don't have the speed of the 60D's. I have thought about using a cut down sorex insert and taping the join?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Calvin.
Come on Calvin, I expected that a mini pro like you should know this.

I have been using the hard foam insert w/ sorex C-med cut to size. Other 24 mm moulded insert will also work. It does need abit of skill to pack everything in there.

Western Zydney Racers (Mini-Z Racing in the west)
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/658918-1-28-scale-sydney-racing.html
danjoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #1462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Boomer-
You are sooooooo correct!
Wes-
E-mail comin' your way.
Later
Doc

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #1463
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Take Off RP30 Mini tires and inserts came in and sold out in one day!

SoCal Raceway (Shop/Track) and Competition Products (Distributor) got all of them. Have your LHS contact Competition to get some or call us to get them on back order for the next (much larger) shipment.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #1464
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hi Guys

Hopeing some one can help here I used to run minis a while back and then they became shelf queens. Anyway we are starting up an outlaw class (anything goes) but obviously these little things were designed to run 540 with set gearing. I heard some time ago there was a kit available to change the internal gearing ?? Has any one heard of these or where they may be available from?? Also final drive ratio ..
Has anyone or does anyone run modified motors and if so how have u managed to gear them? We have run 19t and stock but as mentioned the gearing isnt really suited and the cans run pretty hot yet alone modified motors which i want to use
Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Do you won't free Post on your items, PLEASE contact AUSTRALIA POST to confirm your eligibility and enter your code number here. Otherwise standard rates apply. Why don't people haggle or complain with o/s postage but always want local postage for free or moan like their left hand was cut-off, Come on guys Aus post do have set costs , it isn't the seller trying to rip you off.Items must be sold. All reasonable offers considered
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #1465
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted
Hi Guys

Hopeing some one can help here I used to run minis a while back and then they became shelf queens. Anyway we are starting up an outlaw class (anything goes) but obviously these little things were designed to run 540 with set gearing. I heard some time ago there was a kit available to change the internal gearing ?? Has any one heard of these or where they may be available from?? Also final drive ratio ..
Has anyone or does anyone run modified motors and if so how have u managed to gear them? We have run 19t and stock but as mentioned the gearing isnt really suited and the cans run pretty hot yet alone modified motors which i want to use
Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
What M-chassis will you run ?
I'm using M-03 set for outlaw.
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #1466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhon
What M-chassis will you run ?
I'm using M-03 set for outlaw.
M-03 Chassis
Do you won't free Post on your items, PLEASE contact AUSTRALIA POST to confirm your eligibility and enter your code number here. Otherwise standard rates apply. Why don't people haggle or complain with o/s postage but always want local postage for free or moan like their left hand was cut-off, Come on guys Aus post do have set costs , it isn't the seller trying to rip you off.Items must be sold. All reasonable offers considered
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #1467
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted
M-03 Chassis
OK. Mine, too.

The speed tune is not intend for mod motor or stock. I think it's for mabuchi / sport tuned (closed endbell).
It actually a lower teeth spur (can go down to 34T while the stock spur is 37T).
So you can get around 4,xxx for final ratio.

While for stock mod, use stock spur with lowest pinion teeth (16T). Perhaps using gear diff instead of ball diff to make the pinion last a bit longer.
And use alum motor heatsink like these one (clamp on the motor) beside the tamiya alum heatsink option
Be careful with the heat 'cause it can deform your plastic part.

My suggestion is to make as many hole on the chassis as possible to dissipate the heat and to reduce the weight.

I have a ref. web site which is in Jap. hope it helps.
here's the link : M-03 Racing
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #1468
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhon
I have a ref. web site which is in Jap. hope it helps. here's the link : M-03 Racing
Couldn't get the link to work. Can you recheck? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #1469
Tech Master

I think their net traffic a bit high. Try again a couple of hours.
The link is correct : http://tuyosi.ath.cx/nic/mini/M03.html
Old 04-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #1470
Tech Apprentice

who was running a one way in a mini
nick b. is offline   Reply With Quote