R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #14536
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
I see people falling into this trap all the time. More often than not, it's the guy and not the car. Getting a M06 will not be the answer for most.
100% agreed. We run on very grippy carpet and our a main has a lot of M-06 and M-04 cars, but they're piloted by the club's best drivers. These guys could win with a motorized brick. When I get lapped 6 times by a guy that looks like he's out for a Sunday drive, I know he's good.

The best part is that the 8 minute main was led by an M-03 until the very last lap. The M-03 was nothing special; no hot motor or expensive tires, just a really great driver.

With all that said however, our local hobby shop is reporting they've sold 50-60 M-06s. (I bought one, too.) That covers pretty much all of the local regular mini guys. The interesting thing is that some have already sold theirs off and gone back to FWD minis.

Jim
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #14537
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Which.....is exactly what we said in our review of the M06. On a high grip surface the car is quite good. On anything else, it's mediocre and difficult to handle. As for someone thinking that buying an M06 will jump them up the field suddenly, it's more likely to have the opposite effect!

As for loads of people going out and buying them? Well they're the latest (not necessarily the greatest ) and people will always go and buy the latest thing. In the rc-mini garage there is ONE M06, the one we reviewed. The others guys opted not to buy one as they just dont suit our tracks/conditions.

It's the same as the M05. Everyone HAD to have one so a gazillion were sold. Now it's all settled down again and it's going back to a more even spread again with both M03's and M05's.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #14538
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's nice to watch fwd vs rwd. The fwd seems to enter corner faster while the rwd exits faster and is fast off the starting grid. Makes mini racing more exciting.

Similar laptimes but different ways of getting there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #14539
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
It's nice to watch fwd vs rwd. The fwd seems to enter corner faster while the rwd exits faster and is fast off the starting grid. Makes mini racing more exciting.

Similar laptimes but different ways of getting there.
Yeah, same as we have found out. And taking defensive lines into corners keeps the M06 (atleast mine) in the lead. Great fun and as fast laptimes as my lovely M05. Just completely different drivingstyles and makes for more exciting races.
RossoTorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #14540
Tech Apprentice

I have just ordered a M05 apart from the obligatory bearings alloy steering and shocks what other parts are people running to improve the car any help will be good as my last mini was an M01. Just so yoyu know it is the Datsun 248ZX I have on order
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #14541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Hey guys... i have been out of rc for a few years and i just wanted to know if my m03r would still be good on indoor carpet ? and suggestions for tire and insert combos for a carpet track ? And what are my options for bodies ? i plan on running it in the tcs series
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #14542
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
Hey guys... i have been out of rc for a few years and i just wanted to know if my m03r would still be good on indoor carpet ? and suggestions for tire and insert combos for a carpet track ? And what are my options for bodies ? i plan on running it in the tcs series
This question has been asked and answered more times than any on this thread. Go back 10-20 pages and you'll find your answer and about 10 different set ups. Shouldn't take long
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #14543
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynp View Post
I have just ordered a M05 apart from the obligatory bearings alloy steering and shocks what other parts are people running to improve the car any help will be good as my last mini was an M01.
The M-05 handles so much better out of the box compare to the M-01. I sold my M-01 after getting the M-05. Lots of great information on www.rc-mini.net.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #14544
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour93 View Post
The M-05 handles so much better out of the box compare to the M-01. I sold my M-01 after getting the M-05. Lots of great information on www.rc-mini.net.
Thanks for the link
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #14545
Tech Apprentice

the rcmini guys are doing another mini nationals this year and someone told me theres going to be a special class for the m01s and m02s as well. that should be cool!
BumFacedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #14546
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I need a new servo horn for a m03. snaped last week in a crash. whats the best to get? for a hitec servo. thanks
links apreciated
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #14547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtraxx View Post
I need a new servo horn for a m03. snaped last week in a crash. whats the best to get? for a hitec servo. thanks
links apreciated

If your just club racing go with the large Kimbrough, you will need to trim it a bit for clearance (you'll see what I man) far superior to the stock unit and cheap.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #14548
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Is the m03 body fit guide on rc-mini.net current and accurate?

I have an M03-m (Sukuki kit) and the local groups wants to do a series sponsored by Mini dealerships, so they require Mini bodies. Will I have to change my chassis or is there an option out there that works with some minor alterations?

Thanks as always
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #14549
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post

I have an M03-m (Sukuki kit) and the local groups wants to do a series sponsored by Mini dealerships, so they require Mini bodies. Will I have to change my chassis or is there an option out there that works with some minor alterations?

Thanks as always
Well you have to shorten the chassis by taking out the middle spacers to make it 210mm chassis. Then you can fit a Mini body on it.
M03Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #14550
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post

Thanks as always
The Mini shell should fit the M03.
The only difference compared to the Swift is the wheelbase.
Remove the spacer between the front and rear chassis parts and you can fit the (original) Mini.
If you'll be running the BMW Mini you need to extend the wheelbase to long, by using the 239, adapter/extender piece.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote