R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #14371
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
Bob,

I think the newer 2006 LWB Cooper body is better, as it a little lower when mounted on the car. Having said that I use either depending on which shell I have painted.

Calvin.
Calvin, rarely disagree with you, but this may be one of those situations were both opinions are right. What may be coloring our divergent opinions is the differing tire options we have. You have the fortunate, or unfortunate option of using the 55mm tires with unlimited options on inserts and tire manufacturers. I have to use the 60mm Spec tire which basically is the Tamiya S-Grip with the Tamiya hard foam insert. The tire choices alone would make our cars wildly different.

With the above in mind, both bodies are very similar. However, in my hands, the BMW shell is crisper. Maybe if the Cooper S body were run lower, but for me the damn tires rub. However, this discussion may be moot cause the BMW body ha been discontinued.

If anyone has a BMW decal sheet they'd like to sell, PM me please. Thanx.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #14372
Tech Adept

Default Ball Diff Question

Hi Guys,
I notice a lot of you have upgraded to the TA-03 ball diff. Any reason that seems preferred over the new M-05 ball diff??? The TA-03 looks to me that most of the parts are plastic. Please tell me which one to get.
Thanks!!!
SoCal
Old 02-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #14373
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
I got an M-03 in a trade this week. After owning an 05 and an 06, it's a joy to be wrenching on something so ridiculously simple. If only the COG were lower it would never had needed replacing.

I'd better stock up on parts before they disappear.

Jim
No indication from Tamiya that they are discontinuing them any time soon Jim. Still readily available everywhere. And I'm building up a new one at the moment.

And in the rc-mini camp it's a 50/50 split between M03's and M05's for our race cars. With the M03 SWB winning the last couple of big events.

You're right though - working on an M03 is a joy by comparison with an 05/06.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #14374
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
No indication from Tamiya that they are discontinuing them any time soon Jim. Still readily available everywhere. And I'm building up a new one at the moment.

And in the rc-mini camp it's a 50/50 split between M03's and M05's for our race cars. With the M03 SWB winning the last couple of big events.

You're right though - working on an M03 is a joy by comparison with an 05/06.
Let's face it, the 03 is the better car for most people. It's easier to build, cheaper to turn into a race ready car, simpler to repair and maintain, much easier to set up. AND head to head a well driven and set up 03 will out run almost all 05s. That is not just an opinion, that's a fact.

The exception being carpet or ultra hi-grip asphalt. Since I don't run those 2 surfaces, will not comment.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #14375
Tech Elite

Oh Bob, you're gonna stir up the Pro M-05 guys with that comment...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #14376
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I got to run the 03 tonight. I'd forgotten what a blast they are to drive. So easy compared to my 05. Not quite as fast as my 04 or 06, however. (we're running on grippy carpet. Overall, it was easy to deal with when I got it a bit sideways, forgiving through the corners...just a blast.

I'm very glad Tamiya is continuing to support the 03. I still may stock up on chassis parts and body posts. Stuff breaks proportionally to my enthusiasm on the driver's stand.

One downside to the evening: I ran a one way diff in it for a few heats and it turned into a demon. Not in a good way. It was still pulling randomly side to side at the end of the straight. Turn in was excellent, if a little unpredictable and power out of the corners was amazing. The power was probably assisted greatly by the 4 slot motor I was running. That thing had me cutting throttle at 3/4 on the back straight, just so I could slow down enough to make the turn, even with a regular diff. Whoo!

Jim
Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #14377
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It is good to see that the MO3 and MO5 have supporters. I think with the right setup on either chassis, they will be at the front of the pack.

I agree that the MO3 is easier to wrench on, however I still have a preference for the MO5. I think the MO5 could be a better car, if some of the rules were altered so that you could get rid of the top roll cage and add some flex to the design, however that is not to be.

I will leave it at that, as both chassis types can be seen in the A finals at major events.

Now if only they made a MO7 with a FF03 style chassis, but in mini lengths with the short arms and three body styles we could all be happy.

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #14378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

But +1 to Gramps!
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #14379
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
I agree that the MO3 is easier to wrench on, however I still have a preference for the MO5. I think the MO5 could be a better car, if some of the rules were altered so that you could get rid of the top roll cage and add some flex to the design, however that is not to be.
I am convinced i can run much grippier tyres on an M05 because it is less likely to traction roll, so in my opinion changing our rules to allow more flex would make the M05 faster. But then again the flex may induce the likelihood of traction rolling.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #14380
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
Hi Guys,
I notice a lot of you have upgraded to the TA-03 ball diff. Any reason that seems preferred over the new M-05 ball diff??? The TA-03 looks to me that most of the parts are plastic. Please tell me which one to get.
Thanks!!!
SoCal
I cant stand the M-05 ball diff because you have to modify it to make it reliable. Generally speaking my understanding is that you need to drill the hole through the center so you can put the bigger trf diff screw in.
I thought there was also an updated outdrive, for durability? Or am i thinking of some other car.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #14381
Tech Elite

Martin,

[QUOTEI am convinced i can run much grippier tyres on an M05 because it is less likely to traction roll, so in my opinion changing our rules to allow more flex would make the M05 faster. But then again the flex may induce the likelihood of traction rolling. ][/QUOTE]

We will not know unless we try and then it becomes a waste of time, except for clubbies.

WRT MO5 Ball Diff, (for SoCalGuy)

It can be built the standard way, if desired, however this does not work with the BL system and the stress we place on the bolt, through tightening.

The only parts in the MO5 diff I replace is to use the MO5Ra steel diff joints,(as the standard alloy ones wear, even with the blade), replace the standard screw with a 2.5mm screw, different thrust bearing and use the TRF 416 screw drilled out and a 2.5mm screw thread applied. Build as per instructions and this can now be built very tight.

The advantage of this is the wear from the universals is way less and you get to run a very tight ball diff.

The other option is to build the TAO 3 ball diff with minimal changes. The diff cups will just require changing as they chew out. You really need to ensure that you don;t let the diff cups come out of the splines or its otherwise history as you will strip the diff. Just replace the o ring with the shortened soft nitro fuel hose, cut so there is no binding. The other option is to make sure you replace the o rings regularly in the diff outdrives and add anti-wear grease to the splines on assembly.

Perhaps we will see a oil gear diff in the future that can be fitted directly to a MO3/MO5 with no modifications necessary. Would be really nice if Tamiya made one for us mini drivers.

Apologies for the long winded post.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #14382
Tech Elite

Quote:
Tony, this thread was getting a little too quite anyway. Let me start the discussion this way. When we were all running M03s, I was pretty much arse end Charlie around here. I was happy to get into the C Main at a TCS event. Then the M05 was introduced and like everyone else, I ran out and bought one. I am not the sharpest guy around, but it soon became apparant to me that this car was not what it was supposed to be. Of course,I went out and purchased many upgrades to "improve" the beast since I'm not the sharpest guy around. I stuck with the 05 for several months, not being the sharpest guy around, before returning to my "old" and slow M03.

After a few months, it seemed that I was now keeping up with and in some cases running away from some guys who are, I will readily admit, much better drivers than I. Plus, they were using their "fast" M05s and I was still driving my old and "slow" M03. There were many comments of how much my driving had improved. Not being the sharpest guy around, I accepted their accolades and also basked in the glory of how much I had improved in just a few months. Won the B main at the Nationals last year and made the A at the regional this year which really isn't too bad for a 75 year old man with not the greatest eyesight, who's not the sharpest guy around and was driving the same old and slow M03 against many "fast" M05s.

So, not being the sharpest guy around, I've decide to let everyone know that the M03 is the better car for most people. Still, i was smart enough to figure that out.

Tell a better story than that and you can win the discussion.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #14383
Tech Elite

I'm not sure I can believe all of that Bob - someone told me that you weren't the sharpest guy around....
Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #14384
Tech Elite

I was of the impression anyone who drives a mini has to be smart!
But id rather be a bit blunt and fast

I wonder if that makes Cal the sharpest mini driver around?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #14385
Tech Elite

Martin,

I would have to say the mini drivers at SMA are the sharpest guy's around. The club has the fastest and close to the most consistant drivers in the mini class.

Me, I'm just sticking to what works for me at present, until the next best thing comes along. Hopefully I will get some time to finish building a new mini and can be among the crowd. Perhaps I should pull a MO3 out of mothballs and have another run with it. For me it comes back to what I feel is comfortable for my driving style or lack there of and how I'm feeling on the day.

I think the sharpest mini driver for car setup is Deniz, who has his car working very well and as you know most of you at SMA are running the MO3L, although I have heard Deniz has started running a short wheel based car.

I will stick to being a middle of the pack driver and work on getting better with more practice and more testing.

Bob,

Sounds like you have found the chassis you like in the MO3. Great to hear that you are enjoying your racing and loving the MO3.

Later,

Calvin.