R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #14161
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

they are faster, and we will leave it at that, and depending on where and what rules you run they are illegal.
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #14162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Mini Spec Tires

I want to run Mini for the first time in my local TCS event this year. Although, I have raced for a long time, my Mini experience is nothing to speak of.

I see that Tamiya has a pre-built spec tire requirement for 2011 TCS (1016 Pre-Mounted Radial Tires 60D Super-Grip).

I want to practice using the spec tire/insert, but want to build the tire/insert/wheel myself (at a lower cost I assume).

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the tire and insert that match new spec setup? I assume the tires and inserts are available separately???

Thanks!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #14163
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Just a question, are the older jhonson 540 4 vent motors legal, not the rs black can ones but just the normal silver can 4 vent? I have one and eveyone is saying they are faster..I dont think they are any faster just wondering, cause it doesnt say anywhere in the tcs rules you cant run one thanks.
Ive never seen one, but ive heard of them and everyone i know of who had heard of them has said they are faster. Although that was with respect to touring cars.

It is possible that the difference is not so noticeable in a mini where the gearing is fixed or may even be slower if it is a different power range.
If it's not faster why do you ask? Most people have silver cans, especially a proper tamiya silver can motor if you have an M03 or M05.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #14164
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Just a question, are the older jhonson 540 4 vent motors legal, not the rs black can ones but just the normal silver can 4 vent? I have one and eveyone is saying they are faster..I dont think they are any faster just wondering, cause it doesnt say anywhere in the tcs rules you cant run one thanks.
I've had/have a couple 4 slots and they are faster, pound for pound.

Tamiya lists a part number for the current legal Johnson silver can motors, 4 slot aint it.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #14165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Was wondering cause I have. Brand new one sitting here I had been using it but it doesn't seem any faster then the other guys 2 slot. Either way was just wondering. From what I read they r just the older style jhonson motor. Thanks guys.
Blitzrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #14166
Tech Elite

Quote:
The 4 slots were generally about 2,000 rpm quicker than 540J at 5v. When new they weren't noticeably faster, but as they wore in, they became much better. You didn't read the rules cause TCS specifies the 540J, part #53689. Also the motor rules specify a certain rpm limit and how the motor will be tested. Your 4 slot would flunk the rpm test unless it is sub par.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #14167
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
I want to run Mini for the first time in my local TCS event this year. Although, I have raced for a long time, my Mini experience is nothing to speak of.

I see that Tamiya has a pre-built spec tire requirement for 2011 TCS (1016 Pre-Mounted Radial Tires 60D Super-Grip).

I want to practice using the spec tire/insert, but want to build the tire/insert/wheel myself (at a lower cost I assume).

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the tire and insert that match new spec setup? I assume the tires and inserts are available separately???

Thanks!
Insert----Hard inner sponge 53255
Tire----S Grip 53254
Wheel----Suzuki Swift 11 spoke rim
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #14168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

Thanks!
I think you will find that the spec prebuilt tire will cheaper in the long run
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X1295...cs-2011-a.html try this link for the tires.
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #14169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Picked up a M-05 pro and put in a Savox 1251 servo in it. I have traction roll with this car on our local carpet track (TQ Raceway). I feel like during a turn, the car is only on 3 wheels like it is rocking back and forth. Is this due to a fast servo? I am running sweep 28 premounts.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #14170
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Insert----Hard inner sponge 53255
Tire----S Grip 53254
Wheel----Suzuki Swift 11 spoke rim
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #14171
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
I think you will find that the spec prebuilt tire will cheaper in the long run
try this link for the tires.
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I quickly discovered the cost of the individual wheels, tires and inserts is more. But, I already have a couple sets of wheels, so I'll save a little.

Thanks for the link too.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #14172
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Gear Diff

I am looking for some ideas of what type of grease to run in the diff of my Mo5? I used up all my Tamiya grease that came with the kit. Should I try to find some more Tamiya grease or does something else work better? Thanks

Last edited by haywood; 01-10-2011 at 03:55 PM.
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #14173
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Picked up a M-05 pro and put in a Savox 1251 servo in it. I have traction roll with this car on our local carpet track (TQ Raceway). I feel like during a turn, the car is only on 3 wheels like it is rocking back and forth. Is this due to a fast servo? I am running sweep 28 premounts.

a fast servo shouldn't be the cause of traction roll.

try raising the front roll center, going with less acherman on steering, and widen the front track. if these dont help then you will need to fiddle with suspension and tyres..
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #14174
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
I am looking for some ideas of what type of grease to run in the diff of my Mo5? I used up all my Tamiya grease that came with the kit. Should I try to find some more Tamiya grease or does something else work better? Thanks

the anti wear grease seems the best, as it is really thick and stick, and most of the time it tends to stay inside of the gear housing, rather spray all over the inside of the chassis.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #14175
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
a fast servo shouldn't be the cause of traction roll.

try raising the front roll center, going with less acherman on steering, and widen the front track. if these dont help then you will need to fiddle with suspension and tyres..
On carpet, the grip level is too high and the car will traction roll even after you have dropped to the minimum ride height and tried all the other tweaks - including ones that negatively affect car handling and feel. The only real solution is to put a thin bead of CA glue on the sidewall of the front wheels; apply the CA on the outside radial edge of the sidewall where it meets the tire tread, but not actually on the tread. The purpose is to reduce grip when the tire folds over under extreme cornering - as the tire folds over, the CA becomes the outer edge of the contact patch which decreases traction and will eliminate traction roll.

Guaranteed to work.

Vice President, KARZ.ca
WCICS Rep - Karz RC Club

Last edited by hprt; 01-10-2011 at 04:39 PM.
hprt is offline   Reply With Quote