R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #13861
Tech Regular
 
Tim K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 287
Default

Rosso Torro - you are correct, the hyper minis are slower than the originals ... but they can be geared up by adding different pinions, the M03 and M05 are maxed out at a 20 tooth.
Right now I don't see any point in whacking a big pinion on the CF-R until it can match the lap times of the M03 & M05. Still, the testing has only just started with the CFR and Xevo, plenty of room for improvement

rccartips - yes, the M03 was fastest ... and a pleasure to drive

over gear - just looking at the CFR now, the tyre wear seems to be normal. Another idea was that the belt might be slipping, but I can't see any evidence of this. If it is slipping it won't be good news as there is no way to adjust the tension. I still thought it was the differential, but every time I check it the diff is as tight as it can be.
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #13862
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Tim what about binding? Or could you hear the motor spool up??
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #13863
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starteur View Post
We have no weight limit in the Canadian TCS.

So I pass tech!

LOL... One thing to keep in mind that the M05 isn't balanced. I add about 8 grams of weight in the car to balance it out.

In my opinion having a car that is nice and stable over a car that is light but handles not as well is not the way to go.

In Japan there was no weight limit and you could modify the chassis(cut holes) however I ended up taking weight off and balancing using the shock collars. This worked reasonably well however I think I prefer the slightly heavier front end car.
__________________
Michael Zufelt

It's not how you stand next to your car, it's how you race your car.

http://www.dynamichobbies.com
TheZoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #13864
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper/M-Chassis A3 Main:

(720p HD available if you click through)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #13865
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 73
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you know if this lipo would be compatible with the M03. Is 3C okay?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYKT6&P=FR

thanks
motoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #13866
Tech Master
 
goBezerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: KRCORCC, VIC, AUS
Posts: 1,627
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to goBezerk
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoko View Post
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you know if this lipo would be compatible with the M03. Is 3C okay?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYKT6&P=FR

thanks
No problem, will fit straight in and 20c works just fine.
__________________
► Paul Sims - KRCORCC - BRCCC - TFTR
► R/C racin', 1 percent car, 99 percent driver
► BEZERK RC on Facebook, PayPal accepted
► PROLINE - TEAM AE - GFORCE - R/C Race Supplies
goBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #13867
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoof View Post
LOL... One thing to keep in mind that the M05 isn't balanced. I add about 8 grams of weight in the car to balance it out.

In my opinion having a car that is nice and stable over a car that is light but handles not as well is not the way to go.

In Japan there was no weight limit and you could modify the chassis(cut holes) however I ended up taking weight off and balancing using the shock collars. This worked reasonably well however I think I prefer the slightly heavier front end car.
I have to agree, I removed the silver can & installed the ez run system .
Car was essentially lighter, had no steering turning into apex unless I crawled.
It drove me nuts. I then read elsewhere that the mini's run well at aprx 1300-1400 grams, I was way under at 966 grams. Put some weight along the battery tray and upfront on the bumper & pow! Found my turn in steering again!
My 3 cents...
__________________
AE 12R5.1 TC5 B4 B44 RC8B RC8BE
TEKIN OS LRP EPIC NOVAK
SPEKTRUM
FUTABA
PROLINE
Tomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #13868
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I've been having good results running the Fiat 500 Abarth body on my M05, but it seems many racers prefer the Swift. Now that the Abarth has been around for a while, what's the consensus from the mini gurus?

__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #13869
Tech Elite
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Bodies definitely make a difference to handling.
I've been told the swift is better and i can believe that so i've never got around to trying the abarth.
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone!!!
www.smaracing.org
www.rchobbies.com.au - www.feralbatteries.com.au
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #13870
Tech Regular
 
Tim K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
Tim what about binding? Or could you hear the motor spool up??
Hi, nope, no binding, the drive train is very free. Off the line it just sounds like a normal mini (only quieter) with a bit of wheelspin. Might do some more testing on the weekend so hopefully can track down the problem.
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #13871
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I've been having good results running the Fiat 500 Abarth body on my M05, but it seems many racers prefer the Swift. Now that the Abarth has been around for a while, what's the consensus from the mini gurus?

Nice paint

In answer to your question, I've never had anything apart from the Abarth on the car so can't compare.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #13872
Tech Master
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
Another idea was that the belt might be slipping, but I can't see any evidence of this. If it is slipping it won't be good news as there is no way to adjust the tension. I still thought it was the differential, but every time I check it the diff is as tight as it can be.

so i guess you need to replace the belt every time it stretches, thats pretty crappy!!

i might have to take a proper look at this cfr mini and see if i can recommend something to make it faster,

watching the video, it had very slow corner entry and exit speed.
__________________
B.Portelli
Hyper RC - Metro Hobbies - RAB Hobbies - Wild Turbo Fans
Off road - Schumacher - R1Wurks Australia (Coupon Code - R1BP5%)
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #13873
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
Rosso Torro - you are correct, the hyper minis are slower than the originals ... but they can be geared up by adding different pinions, the M03 and M05 are maxed out at a 20 tooth.
Right now I don't see any point in whacking a big pinion on the CF-R until it can match the lap times of the M03 & M05. Still, the testing has only just started with the CFR and Xevo, plenty of room for improvement

rccartips - yes, the M03 was fastest ... and a pleasure to drive

over gear - just looking at the CFR now, the tyre wear seems to be normal. Another idea was that the belt might be slipping, but I can't see any evidence of this. If it is slipping it won't be good news as there is no way to adjust the tension. I still thought it was the differential, but every time I check it the diff is as tight as it can be.
I'll wager the problem with the CF-R was the weight distribution. If the motor is moved back, then the battery must be back too. Combine that with the short wheelbase and you end up with quite a lot less weight on the front tyres.

Either that or it is something with the front suspension setup. Springs/droop/binding/whatever. From the video, it looked like the CF-R front end was just "floating" on the track, whereas the Xevo was actually gripping.

Actually the Xevo looked really good... but I hope the rubbin' was for the sake of the video and not the way you actually race!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 AM   #13874
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Actually the Xevo looked really good... but I hope the rubbin' was for the sake of the video and not the way you actually race!

That is how they race in Victoria ... hack first
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 AM   #13875
NT
Tech Elite
 
NT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,507
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Actually the Xevo looked really good... but I hope the rubbin' was for the sake of the video and not the way you actually race!
It was actually Tim knowing what was going to happen if he let me through there without a helping hand

Given it was the first day on the track - I didn't want to bend the Xevo, I broke it earlier in the day and didn't know what would happen!

I believe the others had a bet on how many laps it would last - Tim was in the box seat to 'help that along' HA!
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:28 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0