R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #13801
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnwise View Post
Tony, working off the rules you posted the bumpers are legal. Was there a change after your post in Nov 2009.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6616250-post1921.html
I throw myself on the mercy of the court Sir....

When I wrote that reply yesterday I couldn't help thinking at the time that I was sure we'd allowed bumpers (and also rear body support braces) but I had a quick look at the rules and it wasn't there. OK - answer away....

Note to self - Make sure the place you check the rules at is an up to date link, NOT an old one.

I shall punish myself forthwith!
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #13802
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
I shall punish myself forthwith!
I'll start mixing the pancake batter
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #13803
Tech Initiate

So in an effort to get my little blighter handling better still, I have fiddled with the rear camber adjustment.

Is more rear camber better to keep the rear end in control better for these? Or does to much just chew out tyres far to quickly?

Car is a m05 pro by the way.

Rhys
Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #13804
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I adjusted my oil/springs and my car is under control. I Use tire sauce on all tires for first heat, then only sauce the back tires after that. We run on Ozite carpet.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #13805
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD211 View Post
So in an effort to get my little blighter handling better still, I have fiddled with the rear camber adjustment.

Is more rear camber better to keep the rear end in control better for these? Or does to much just chew out tyres far to quickly?

Rhys
Camber chews out tyres. But your driving a mini and they do that anyway.. I run about 2 degrees of camber with a very soft rear end. I also use the 3 racing 3 deg hubs which IMHO reduces the rears wandering in high speed cornering
Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #13806
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD211 View Post

Rhys

i keep mine in positive camber... 2.5mm of spacers to the adjuster and it turns well and doesnt eat up the inside of my rear tires
jebolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #13807
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie27 View Post
Camber chews out tyres. But your driving a mini and they do that anyway.. I run about 2 degrees of camber with a very soft rear end. I also use the 3 racing 3 deg hubs which IMHO reduces the rears wandering in high speed cornering
Sorry I dont agree with you more camber will stop you from rolling up on the edge of the tire.
So use to ease the chance of traction roll and more helps with side bite in the hard turns.

And the rear toe is not of much concern as I believe it is more of a tunning aid for the amount of steering you want. More rear toe will heat up the rear tires and increase the grip at that end.

At the masters I ran zero and the car was not slow.
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #13808
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
And the rear toe is not of much concern as I believe it is more of a tunning aid for the amount of steering you want. More rear toe will heat up the rear tires and increase the grip at that end.

At the masters I ran zero and the car was not slow.
Bruce is correct (of course!) but for the average driver (and old bastards like me), the toe-in blocks are a blessing.
They do aid straight-line stability substantially. We certainly recommend them for most set-ups.

And Bruces car was indeed not slow! Tim only beat him when Bruce's brain went into fade mode at the end of one of the races...
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #13809
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Bruce is correct (of course!) but for the average driver (and old bastards like me), the toe-in blocks are a blessing.
They do aid straight-line stability substantially. We certainly recommend them for most set-ups.

And Bruces car was indeed not slow! Tim only beat him when Bruce's brain went into fade mode at the end of one of the races...
Maybe if I had more rear toe I would not have turned into that curb Tony
last lap brain fart.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #13810
Tech Master

I am no means a gun driver in these things.. I would say average at best. I would never consider entering the Mini National's as i would be wasting a space on the podium

I know what works for me and doesn't and i am happy to share the information.

the 2 and 3deg blocks helped settle my cars wandering which meant i could turn in with a lot more confidence. The car is dragging a lot more which i know washes off my speed a bit.

Cheers
Jason
Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #13811
Tech Elite

On the contrary Jase...it's people like you who ARE the Nationals..

The top steps of the podium are for the elite, but everyone else is just as, if not MORE important.

I know for myself, it's running with the top guys that improves you. Run with people the same speed, you don't learn anything. Run with/watch faster guys? That's when you improve....
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #13812
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Jason,

You need to go and race at other tracks and not just Windsor. This will assist with your driving and car setup.

I used to run zero degree rear blocks on my mini all the time. I went away from them when I played with the MO5 and they did not work at all tracks.

I agree with Bruce that they are a good tuning tool. Less rear toe, less drag and more front steering.

You need to test things for yourself and see if they suit your driving style. The 3 degree rear toe blocks work at Windsor because it is a tight, high grip track, but these would slow you down else where.

The biggest tuning part of your mini, other than you the driver is the choice of tyres and inserts.

I have still to test all of the setup hints I have received for my mini, however this weekend might just be the time for testing, as I will have all of the bits to try.

I hope to see your name on the entry list for the mini Nats.

BTW,

I wouldn't sell yourself short. I can see that your driving has improved immensly at Windsor and your results validate this. I believe you and the others would all give me a hiding at Windsor.

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 12-07-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: revised text
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #13813
Tech Master

Quote:
On the contrary Jase...it's people like you who ARE the Nationals..

The top steps of the podium are for the elite, but everyone else is just as, if not MORE important.

I know for myself, it's running with the top guys that improves you. Run with people the same speed, you don't learn anything. Run with/watch faster guys? That's when you improve....
I'm not from your neck of the woods but Tony's statement is ever so true.
For 99% of rc racing for sure.
It's all about fun. At these events you pick up a lot of info, tips, tricks which might improve your skill and /or fun as well.

Jason, just go for it and you probably would have a blast...
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 AM   #13814
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek1 View Post
Jason,

You need to go and race at other tracks and not just Windsor. This will assist with your driving and car setup.

I used to run zero degree rear blocks on my mini all the time. I went away from them when I played with the MO5 and they did not work at all tracks.

I agree with Bruce that they are a good tuning tool. Less rear toe, less drag and more front steering.

You need to test things for yourself and see if they suit your driving style. The 3 degree rear toe blocks work at Windsor because it is a tight, high grip track, but these would slow you down else where.

The biggest tuning part of your mini, other than you the driver is the choice of tyres and inserts.

I have still to test all of the setup hints I have received for my mini, however this weekend might just be the time for testing, as I will have all of the bits to try.

I hope to see your name on the entry list for the mini Nats.

BTW,

I wouldn't sell yourself short. I can see that your driving has improved immensly at Windsor and your results validate this. I believe you and the others would all give me a hiding at Windsor.

Regards,

Calvin.
Calvin,

Yes i do need to race on other tracks.. I have put my name down for the Summernat's In January. i also plan to run in all the club challenges next year.

I am sure that if you start racing at Windsor we will all be fearing 50. Cal again..

Maybe i need to convince the wife to go on a road trip in May 2011

Cheers

Jason
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #13815
Tech Fanatic

Jason as Calvin said each track to their own.

Having never been to Windsor do you race there at night?

From what Calvin said about it being a tight track and if it is at night more toe in the rear will help keep the heat in the tires.
At Boronia at night I run 2 degree rear toe, this track is also tight. I can get it to work with zero but must run softer rear tire.
The problem I found with to much toe is that when the track has good temp in it you tend to overheat the tires mid race, this can be confusing to some as you feel you need a softer rear or more rear grip when you actually just need a harder tire.
Loose in the first 2 laps is good as this is hopefully before the race starts.

The other thing that I have found with the wandering is, to hard shock oil in the front makes the car to aggresive in initial steering so you are always correcting the steering.
This feels like the car is wandering when most times it is just to responsive to steering input.

Try more toe out on the front and a softer front shock oil.