R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #13576
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goBezerk View Post
All the way in is almost a linear spring depression, all the way out and it's a falling rate so the spring depression slows down as it goes through its travel...so all the way in is stiff through the whole travel equaling very responsive/twitchy, all the way out it actually softens off as you depress it so it will be more forgiving allowing it to roll a little before taking up the slack and turning it into steering. Hope that makes sense
Hi goBezerk,

Are you explaining the M05's tendency to wander with the shocks in the standard (angled inwards) position?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #13577
Tech Elite

No response yet, anyone? Foam tires for M-class?
I did find some from GQ but not yet available...
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #13578
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to goBezerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutbag View Post
Hi goBezerk,

Are you explaining the M05's tendency to wander with the shocks in the standard (angled inwards) position?
Not sure if it "explains" it, but it would make sense that a narrow tracked vehicle would want to wander when the suspension is very stiff, it's the main difference between the 03 and the 05 in the front end. I also think as the M03 has a quite significant toe-in bump steer, it helps to self correct when it's under pressure. In theory, you could add some bump steer and the front tower to the M05 to replicate a similar geometry to the M03...

Maybe another way to explain, imagine you're going down the straight with not perfectly smooth track surface, the left wheel see the bump, the stiff suspension pushes it to the right, the right wheel loads up and it then pushes it back to the left and it repeats...when you have a falling rate the same bump causes the car to absorb it more easily...the downside in the M05's case could be more traction roll with the shocks stood up, I think that's why it corners at the limit better than the M03 because the front end does remain stiff throughout its travel.

So...to get the best of both worlds, maybe play with your bump steer a little more. I'll just stick with my M03
► PROLINE - TEAM AE - GFORCE - R/C Race Supplies
goBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #13579
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation!

Call me stubborn, I'll stick with my M05 (too much bling to go back now!! ).
Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #13580
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation!

Call me stubborn, I'll stick with my M05 (too much bling to go back now!! ).
My M05 is blinged out too, still not quite my M03 yet though...well for Boronia anyway...

What wheelbase you runnin?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #13581
Tech Apprentice

MWB. I started with a Swift and have tried both SWB (with disastrous results) and LWB, but somehow always return to MWB. I just wish they'd make more MWB bodies!

And you??

Last edited by rcnutbag; 11-17-2010 at 06:32 PM.
rcnutbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #13582
Tech Master

Quote:
MWB. I started with a Swift and have tried both SWB (with disastrous results) and LWB, but somehow always return to MWB. I just wish they'd make more MWB bodies!

And you??
SWB M03 and LWB M05. Would like to try the MWB but haven't obtained a body yet...

I like your counterweight too, stuck a lump on the other day to the M03 and it certainly hasn't done anything bad The M05 is a little easier to balance with the esc on the RHS, but the M03 would involve some trusting of the servo tape! I run my esc fanless inside the rear of the chassis to keep the weight low.

I found the M05 really doesn't like being a SWB, could just be me but as soon as I lengthened it, it became very tunable

What aspects of the MWB do you prefer over the LWB?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #13583
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
SWB M03 and LWB M05. Would like to try the MWB but haven't obtained a body yet...

I like your counterweight too, stuck a lump on the other day to the M03 and it certainly hasn't done anything bad The M05 is a little easier to balance with the esc on the RHS, but the M03 would involve some trusting of the servo tape! I run my esc fanless inside the rear of the chassis to keep the weight low.

I found the M05 really doesn't like being a SWB, could just be me but as soon as I lengthened it, it became very tunable

What aspects of the MWB do you prefer over the LWB?
Stay tuned... the M03 counterweight is coming; it needed a redesign as the gear cover screw hole breaks through the main mounting flange and we have to machine it a whole different way, which changes the weight, and the shape and so on... But.. I hope to have some for the masters.

Re the MWB issue - Without trying to sound contradictory, I actually found a great MWB body that I am really happy with, and it's the Speedway Pal Civic. Really low and (at least it looks) slippery. It's pretty strong too. It's either that or a Swift and (because I DO think aero plays a part) I feel the Alfa 500's are too high and bluff (actually did I read Tim had problems with his?). Apart from that, I just agree with the concensus that's it a bit more forgiving in it's setup.

Some people really like SWB, but I do read a lot to suggest the M05 (in hard racing circumstances) is better in MWB or LWB setup. Maybe it has something to do with where the equipment is mounted in the car?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #13584
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah i experimented with a swb m05 as well and i thought the steering was just too agressive relative to an M03 which handles it better.

But i guess we are still learning about the m05.

BTW rcnutbag, have you given one of your counterweights to the rc-mini guys to test? Be interested to see what their lab rats think

On one of my minis i do actually have i think 30grams stuck opposite the motor. But dont recall my m05 needing much weight to bring it up to the aussie legal weight.

Just noticed in the other thread that you have motor screws with it as well, was wondering if the stock ones would be long enough for them. I wouldve been too lazy to go looking for some which fit. Was also wondering if anyone running it with the M05 had problems with the motor moving or not?
Ive heard the motor plate can move on the m05 but i havent had it happen to me (but i have yeah racing alloy motor plates in my car, actually they might be 3racing not sure now).
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #13585
Tech Master

Quote:
Stay tuned... the M03 counterweight is coming; it needed a redesign as the gear cover screw hole breaks through the main mounting flange and we have to machine it a whole different way, which changes the weight, and the shape and so on... But.. I hope to have some for the masters.

Re the MWB issue - Without trying to sound contradictory, I actually found a great MWB body that I am really happy with, and it's the Speedway Pal Civic. Really low and (at least it looks) slippery. It's pretty strong too. It's either that or a Swift and (because I DO think aero plays a part) I feel the Alfa 500's are too high and bluff (actually did I read Tim had problems with his?). Apart from that, I just agree with the concensus that's it a bit more forgiving in it's setup.

Some people really like SWB, but I do read a lot to suggest the M05 (in hard racing circumstances) is better in MWB or LWB setup. Maybe it has something to do with where the equipment is mounted in the car?
Sweet looking body, have to add that to the list of "must haves"

I just added mine to the gearcover and made it adjustable, just change spacers as required
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya mini cooper-m03-counterweight.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #13586
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Yeah i experimented with a swb m05 as well and i thought the steering was just too agressive relative to an M03 which handles it better.

But i guess we are still learning about the m05.

BTW rcnutbag, have you given one of your counterweights to the rc-mini guys to test? Be interested to see what their lab rats think

On one of my minis i do actually have i think 30grams stuck opposite the motor. But dont recall my m05 needing much weight to bring it up to the aussie legal weight.

Just noticed in the other thread that you have motor screws with it as well, was wondering if the stock ones would be long enough for them. I wouldve been too lazy to go looking for some which fit. Was also wondering if anyone running it with the M05 had problems with the motor moving or not?
Ive heard the motor plate can move on the m05 but i havent had it happen to me (but i have yeah racing alloy motor plates in my car, actually they might be 3racing not sure now).
Hi,

No, I haven't yet, but another one of the guys here (Mr Gleeman) mentioned he was going to give Tim a go of his car. I'll probably see them at the Masters anyway. I'll be interested too.

The counterweight isn't about bringing up the car to weight, but balancing the vehicle. You won't need any other weight on the front end of the car with the counterweight. Just balance the back (opposite the ESC) with about 20gms and it all should be fine (left to right).

I supply 30mm SS screws and lock washers with each unit. The kit screws are approx 26mm long and the mounting plate is 2.5mm thick, so the kit screws won't do. Ideally the screws should be 29mm long, so I suggest that everyone check how much thread their motors can take and put the fibre motor plate (it's 0.6mm thick) on to be sure. Otherwise take a file and trim it off. I just can't get 29mm screws. I'm looking into trimming down my stock, so stay tuned. I also suggest loctite as well as the lock washers, and I've never had mine come loose yet. I was panicking the first time I ran my own, let me tell you!!

I can't see why the motor plate would move? That'd be fairly catastrophic, seeing how the idler gears mount to that as well? It has clearance holes for the motor mount doesn't it?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #13587
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Sweet looking body, have to add that to the list of "must haves"

I just added mine to the gearcover and made it adjustable, just change spacers as required
Oooooohh.... you're a brave Man....

Glad to see you're happy though...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #13588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah with the motor mount i wouldve thought the same but apparently if a crash is big enough the motor mount can move just enough that it comprises the mesh between the spur and pinion.

With regards to balance, i can understand there would be an advantage to offsetting the balance of the motor, although i err towards to the lighter side unless i was on a track where i was getting regular traction rolling.
But i havent tested your counterweight, so my comment is really just speculation.
I was thinking about trying something similar to bring the car up to weight, but i'm too lazy
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #13589
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Yeah with the motor mount i wouldve thought the same but apparently if a crash is big enough the motor mount can move just enough that it comprises the mesh between the spur and pinion.
Man, that'd have to be one hell of a stack! The motor mount locates with a countersunk screw and alignment pin. Surely one or both of those would have to budge?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #13590
Tech Master

Quote:
Oooooohh.... you're a brave Man....

Glad to see you're happy though...
Think it's fairly safe myself, the plastic around it is pretty substantial and it's tucked behind the battery and the front wheel...anyhow, time will tell. It was either 10 mins of work with an offcut that was lying around or quite a bit more time to attach it to the motor screws...I opted for easy

And for the Mini Enduro nuts out there, here's my M05 with 6000Mah saddle packs Imagine how many laps you could cut with that! Don't know it would be approved for any events though...
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya mini cooper-m05-enduro.jpg