Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StadiumChris
What is the difference between the Manta Ray ball diff and the TA03 used in the Mini? What are the strengths and weaknesses of both?
Manta Ray ball diff= HEAVY.................
Old 03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Also.. what the heck are the Carbon hollow shafts used for?? and where do they go??
Old 03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Also.. what the heck are the Carbon hollow shafts used for?? and where do they go??
In the transmission where the gears go there are shafts they go on. Its all about loosing weight............
Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Currently I have a Manta Ray diff.. so if I swap out to a TA03 diff and add the carbon hollow shafts, I should see a noticable difference?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Currently I have a Manta Ray diff.. so if I swap out to a TA03 diff and add the carbon hollow shafts, I should see a noticeable difference?
You will see a small difference in acceleration mostly, but there is also a weight difference.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Whats the deal with the Tamiya 6mm hexs. I bought some and tried to install them on my Cooper. I used the drive pin with the kit. I snugged the set screw down and the hex still fell off. Pulled it apart looked at it the reinstalled it tightened it more. Tugged on it fell off again. I didnt pull to hard. Tryed to snug it a little more and the set screw broke. Any Ideas? Thanks My first thught maybe the drive pin is to short. The drive pin is a few mm shorter then the slot in the hex adapter and it cant quite tighten down properly?????? Thanks for your help
Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

its tamiya and its for the mini. dont expect quality
Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
Whats the deal with the Tamiya 6mm hexs. I bought some and tried to install them on my Cooper. I used the drive pin with the kit. I snugged the set screw down and the hex still fell off. Pulled it apart looked at it the reinstalled it tightened it more. Tugged on it fell off again. I didnt pull to hard. Tryed to snug it a little more and the set screw broke. Any Ideas? Thanks My first thught maybe the drive pin is to short. The drive pin is a few mm shorter then the slot in the hex adapter and it cant quite tighten down properly?????? Thanks for your help
You have to train it first....
I had the same problem and solved it by:
Took my robo-grips ( or a LARGE pair of pliers ) and squeeze it shut.
Then tighten the screw
If it didn't close all the way then:
Take screw back out and do the steps listed above again.

Problem solved for me.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
Assuming you are using M03 universals, you need to add shims ( tamiya sells them in 5mm inside diameter ) between bearing and the pin to eliminate the play. Use the pin from the kit, they are little bit longer.... maybe that's why.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Transponder mount

For those that race, where/how do you mount your transponder on the M03 chassis. I want to mount it so that I can run M03 or M03L wheelbase. I think I saw somewhere the transponder over the diff. Is that OK?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckbridge
For those that race, where/how do you mount your transponder on the M03 chassis. I want to mount it so that I can run M03 or M03L wheelbase. I think I saw somewhere the transponder over the diff. Is that OK?
I put mine on the top left side over the battery, that way I don't have to take it off when I want to take the chassis apart. I thought about putting it in front but I didn't want any wiring near the servo/steering and not any where near the motor...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I mount mine with servo tape on the chassis, right behind the servo.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckbridge
I mount it to the right-side of the front shock tower, just in front of the servo saver, so yes it is over the diff. With the receiver mounted inside the rear chassis, you will have to extend the transponder wire. Make the wire long enough and you can take the chassis apart (e.g. to service the diff) without touching the wiring. For a photo, look on page 6 of http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/stanb...SetupGuide.doc
Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Over the battery sounds like the most practical place. I was afraid to mount it over so much metal. I think the right/passenger side would be better, I find that the M03 is a little weight biased to the left. That would also put it out of the way when opening the gear box. Thanks for the advice.

If I see the M03M #58368 Swift at Faszination Modellbau I'll try to get some pics of the suspension and post them here. I hope it doesn't make the old M-cars obsolete. Or, maybe I do.

http://www.faszination-modellbau-messe.de/en/35089
Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

I have my transponsder mounted to the back of the servo. I dont have any ears on the transponder. Works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.