Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Yep, all the front end components are essentially identical, including driveshafts

The diff coupling (outdrive) is considered a chassis component. From there outwards it's all the same.

And if he's talking driveshafts then there's no issue.
My bad, tony. Yup they're the same for the drive shaft or Uni-shaft. As i read your earlier post tat all front end are identical...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

hey guys, im into the mini cooper racing with a few guys in out club. im having troubles finding a body that works, im running a short or med length and need to know where to look for the bodies or is there a post that some one has done with the manufacturer and part number and pics before? some info would be great, i see a lot of sweet bodies on rcmini.net but know idea what they are. please help if you can, thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by silvermag
hey guys, im into the mini cooper racing with a few guys in out club. im having troubles finding a body that works, im running a short or med length and need to know where to look for the bodies or is there a post that some one has done with the manufacturer and part number and pics before? some info would be great, i see a lot of sweet bodies on rcmini.net but know idea what they are. please help if you can, thanks.
have u look at this list? http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....d=46&Itemid=62
Old 04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

I wonder if anyone knows if the 416 shocks are the same as the mo5 trf shocks and what is the best body to run on the mo5?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
I wonder if anyone knows if the 416 shocks are the same as the mo5 trf shocks and what is the best body to run on the mo5?
no they are longer then the mini shocks

BUT if you ad 5mm spacers under the piston inside the shock they are ok to use with the short M chassis springs

i do
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I recently remembered how much fun I used to have racing minis as I've been off racing touring cars for a couple of years. I dusted off my old M03 and took it to the track, but it's so used up and beat to be nearly undriveable.

I was planning on picking up an M05 and can't decide if I should get the PRO.

I already have TRF shocks from my M03.

Are most of the hop-ups on the PRO just bling or are they really worth it? It doesn't come with a ball diff and CVDs or anything, does it?

Would I be better off just getting a regular M05 kit, slapping on my TRF shocks and a set of ball bearings, and calling it good?

I really like the Honda S800 Racing...
Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1
that mean you're gonna be running TCS mini at Jackson next weekend?

you just should have asked me, scoob

that's kinda the thing about the tamiya mimi's - there are several pretty good bodies out there...

if you are running the 'L' config - the 2006 mini cooper is pretty good
the 'm' config - the swift is pretty hard to beat
and 's' config - you pretty much only got the original rover cooper

obiviously that's if you're sticking to TCS rules
Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I recently remembered how much fun I used to have racing minis as I've been off racing touring cars for a couple of years. I dusted off my old M03 and took it to the track, but it's so used up and beat to be nearly undriveable.

Are most of the hop-ups on the PRO just bling or are they really worth it? It doesn't come with a ball diff and CVDs or anything, does it?

Would I be better off just getting a regular M05 kit, slapping on my TRF shocks and a set of ball bearings, and calling it good?

I bought the m05 mini and added all the hopups i wanted it is better value if you do this i think , the m05pro is ok but i think you need CVDs and alloy shocks before the alloy uprights
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

anyone tried the Yeah Racing aluminum shocks from RCMart? http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...?cPath=389_390

Looks like one of the reviews said it has difficulties installing onto M03.... anyone have problems? What is the right length to get? 55mm?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
that mean you're gonna be running TCS mini at Jackson next weekend?

you just should have asked me, scoob

that's kinda the thing about the tamiya mimi's - there are several pretty good bodies out there...

if you are running the 'L' config - the 2006 mini cooper is pretty good
the 'm' config - the swift is pretty hard to beat
and 's' config - you pretty much only got the original rover cooper

obiviously that's if you're sticking to TCS rules

Yes I will be running it at Jackson. I Have to get a body for it. I have the stock m05 body that it comes with.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

For what its worth.....Tamiya 60D type B....coming soon!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine

Pete, the Pro and the regular kit work out to be nearly the same $$$$, but the regular kit may end up saving you a little. The front uprights and the steering linkage are weak tho and need to be upgraded to the aluminum bits. This true for the PRO also. If you're not doing the TCS Series, the 3 Racing steering stuff is pretty good and is less than $20. You can get that from HKS Hobbies here in Calif. Frankly, if I build up a backup car, it will start life as a regular kit.

I'm not convinced that the M05 ball diff is an upgrade and would rob your M03and use the ball diff from that.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I'm not convinced that the M05 ball diff is an upgrade and would rob your M03and use the ball diff from that.
Yeah...you're not the only one to think that...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Pete, the Pro and the regular kit work out to be nearly the same $$$$, but the regular kit may end up saving you a little. The front uprights and the steering linkage are weak tho and need to be upgraded to the aluminum bits. This true for the PRO also. If you're not doing the TCS Series, the 3 Racing steering stuff is pretty good and is less than $20. You can get that from HKS Hobbies here in Calif. Frankly, if I build up a backup car, it will start life as a regular kit.

Thanks for the info Granpa, and it's great to hear from you again. We'd love to see you up here in Camarillo again if you can make it up.

I do have a ball diff in the M03. I don't remember which one -- I recall there were two that fit. I tried one and almost immediately stripped out the ill-fitting splines, then tried the other, which worked but I don't know that it's all that much better than the bomb-proof gear diff. One was Manta Ray and one was ???

I will not be racing TCS so I'll go for the 3racing parts.

So it sounds like the way to go for me is to get a regular kit, add my TRF shocks, ball bearings, and the 3racing steering bits, and see how that feels.

What tires do you recommend for our dialed asphalt?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default m05

here is another option and this is what i did,just buy the plastic trees and the misc screws and it is alot cheaper it is around 50.00 for everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.