R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #11296
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

someone have a pic of a mini without a body at normal ride height? I'm trying to work out my servo saver/turnbuckles and I cant find the right setup that doesn't snag on the chassis.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #11297
Tech Elite

kwkride

I think your problem has to do more with static electricity than anything else. if you could ground the chassis it would be best with an earth strap like those used in real cars. Not sure that grounding would work on the carpet though.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 01-21-2010 at 08:16 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #11298
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

kwkride - You can try cleaning your tires with simple green, or I see a lot of people at a local track using lighter fluid. I have used both and the lighter fluid seems to help more for heavily used tracks.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #11299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stay in the groove more, your tires are picking up the fluff from the side of the track. Or give the track a good vacuuming.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #11300
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I'll check again.

That means you have to buy the rings separately. Dang. What's the part number and how much were they?
The ones I have are Tamiya #49310 - TRF Damper Cylinder Nut (Blue)

They were USD$11.50 for a set of 4 at rcmart (http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...0-p-25624.html), but they're currently out of stock.

The part is showing as discontinued at tamiyausa.com (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=49310), so I'm not sure if they're even still available, or if there is a new alternative part now.
Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #11301
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
kwkride

I think your problem has to do more with static electricity than anything else. if you could ground the chassis it would be best with an earth strap like those used in real cars. Not sure that grounding would work on the carpet though.
LOL

i think it is the Aditive i use the Marc reinhard outdoor aditive and it stays grippy longer then both Jack the Gripper and LRP carpet2
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #11302
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I appreciate the thoughts and ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
Stay in the groove more, your tires are picking up the fluff from the side of the track. Or give the track a good vacuuming.
I don't think this is it, because I've been running there for almost 2 years and never had this problem before. (and they vacuum before every race night )

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #11303
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
Last night I had a problem with my rear tires collecting carpet. Of course once they do this, they have no bite. The car works pretty good for the first few minutes and then my handling goes away completely.

I have an M03-M. I am running s-grips in the front and kit tires in the rear. These are fairly new tires, about 3 weeks of racing use. I use "jack the gripper" traction compound. This setup was working good two weeks ago.

I even tried running one heat race with no traction compound on the rear tires and they still had carpet stuck to them when it came off the track.

I cleaned the tires with motor spray before the evenings events, and once more between rounds. Any suggestions?
Your rear tires is the culprit : box or stock tires. Big no no in tamiya racing. Use tamiya super slick tires with hard inserts.

( the accumulated carpet probably resulted from rear tires sliding too much ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #11304
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

Firstly kudos for getting your car to work at all using kit tires lol. Id recommend 3 racing radials on the back, amazing tires and literally dirt cheap! Tones of grip and great durability, and dont let the look of them deter you. If your stuck using Tamiya tires, i still recommend Type A Slicks, 60D.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #11305
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Your rear tires is the culprit : box or stock tires. Big no no in tamiya racing. Use tamiya super slick tires with hard inserts.

( the accumulated carpet probably resulted from rear tires sliding too much ).
i use the M grips or S grips and have no grip problems ever
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #11306
jcr
Tech Regular

just got this message from a race organizer, was wondering which body is this?

Quote:
the rules for m-chassis being any body - does not have to be tamiya...what did not get communicated from us to the organizers is that we also do not allow m-chassis wings here.....unfortunately the other 3 races have been run with m-chassis being allowed to run a wing and i understand there is a body that comes with a wing that does have an advantage and we do not carry it....
HPI Civic? or Tamiya Swift?
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #11307
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr View Post
just got this message from a race organizer, was wondering which body is this?

HPI Civic? or Tamiya Swift?
or it could be the older HPI Cooper body
Old 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #11308
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Not to point out the obvious here - but a wing on a mini pushes down on the rear of the car - which in turn raises the front of the car - and with a Front Wheel Drive Car, front wheel brakes, and clearly front end steering, I don't think I'd want the rear to be more aerodynamically planted than the front.

That being said - the wings do nothing at all on the Swift - and are only there for looks.

So on both counts - they have it wrong
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #11309
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT View Post
Not to point out the obvious here - but a wing on a mini pushes down on the rear of the car - which in turn raises the front of the car - and with a Front Wheel Drive Car, front wheel brakes, and clearly front end steering, I don't think I'd want the rear to be more aerodynamically planted than the front. That being said - the wings do nothing at all on the Swift - and are only there for looks. So on both counts - they have it wrong
I guess this rear spoiler is useless, but looks really nice though.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #11310
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

for you guys running the stock steering parts on the M05, what size shims are you using to take out the slop in the steering rack?

I just noticed how sloppy mine was last nite - I mean, i know it had slop, just didn't realize HOW much slop there is

thanks!